Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mountain Lion sighting

Saw one in GA at 1am off 95 headed to Airport. Didn’t know what it was and no way to turn around. Eating carrion on the side of the road. I though a female African Lion had escaped. Up close even at highway speeds they are enormous. A lot bigger than I ever imagined. They look like they are 9 feet long and “blocky” from sheer mass. Not long and sleek like I had imagined. If someone has seen a mature one up close I’m not sure how it could be confused with anything else. I’ve seen a few large Bobcats dead and alive. Lions are an order of magnitude larger. I thought I was delusional from lack of sleep. Later I found out it was a NWR and I forget how many ithousands of acres of swamp.

I’ve not spent enough time in PA to comment on legitimacy of any migrating young males. I have killed 11’ gators in a Jon Boat with a knife and Bears Solo spot and stalk. I’m thinking of hunting Crocs with a harpoon and knife. All that to say I am not risk adverse. I wouldn’t want to meet a mountain lion even with a gun unless I was behind a pack of dogs. From what I know of physiology, etc. I would be 0 match and a mountain lion is built for short bursts of speed and look like they could lunge about 30’.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gremcat View Post
    Saw one in GA at 1am off 95 headed to Airport. Didn’t know what it was and no way to turn around. Eating carrion on the side of the road. I though a female African Lion had escaped. Up close even at highway speeds they are enormous. A lot bigger than I ever imagined. They look like they are 9 feet long and “blocky” from sheer mass. Not long and sleek like I had imagined. If someone has seen a mature one up close I’m not sure how it could be confused with anything else. I’ve seen a few large Bobcats dead and alive. Lions are an order of magnitude larger. I thought I was delusional from lack of sleep. Later I found out it was a NWR and I forget how many ithousands of acres of swamp.

I’ve not spent enough time in PA to comment on legitimacy of any migrating young males. I have killed 11’ gators in a Jon Boat with a knife and Bears Solo spot and stalk. I’m thinking of hunting Crocs with a harpoon and knife. All that to say I am not risk adverse. I wouldn’t want to meet a mountain lion even with a gun unless I was behind a pack of dogs. From what I know of physiology, etc. I would be 0 match and a mountain lion is built for short bursts of speed and look like they could lunge about 30’.
    Wow, gators are driving around in John boats now? Whats next ? Float-by chompings!

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Wow, gators are driving around in John boats now? Whats next ? Float-by chompings!
    Haha, the one I killed almost did. My Guide tried to “pin him against the bank”. He had the only light, a headlamp tied to a battery. It’s tail was pointing away slightly so he assumed it was facing away. It wasn’t and all I saw/heard from the front was a loud crash and the Guide cranking his headlamp. It didn’t help that the bank the gator was on was 6’ above the water. Just prior, we tried waiting out a monster who submerged effectively pinning him in a cove. He somehow emerged and got up in the alligator grass then charged the boat crashing into it, pushing us out it’s path, and nearly throwing me in the water. Needless to say I was on edge before the second gator tried jumping into our boat. I got a dart in his cheek though my crazy ex-USSR Friend was convinced it was in his teeth. I have a few vids but none of the dive for freedom and it was pretty dark. I didn’t even know what I had until I pulled the line in while trying to stare into the muddy creek with visibility in fractions of an inch and a Gator 11’ long appeared slowly and yet suddenly. Hair on my neck standing on end and half terror half excitement set in. Hooked ever since though passed an 11’6” or larger opening morning of a disastrous trip two years back that left me eating a tag. I’ve derailed this thread pretty far though, apologies.

(Allegheny County)

Anyone see this article? Cougar was hit on a Highway in Connecticut. DNA says it was a wild cougar from South Dakota. This was back in 2011. I couldn't find any articles disputing this as a hoax.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...76Q5ZE20110727

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I've seen a few too.
    Now that's something worth seeing.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Now that's something worth seeing.
    Looks like a camel toe coming out of her left pocket.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremcat View Post
    I have killed 11’ gators in a Jon Boat with a knife and Bears Solo spot and stalk
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4070BN View Post
    Anyone see this article? Cougar was hit on a Highway in Connecticut. DNA says it was a wild cougar from South Dakota. This was back in 2011. I couldn't find any articles disputing this as a hoax.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...76Q5ZE20110727
    It's real, a rogue cat. He went for a walkabout.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

I've seen one at a zoo.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

So happy to read your story. Had a mountain lion run across SR 144 one night coming up out of Renova. It ran right across the road in front of our vehicle and there was no denying what it was. Glad to hear that there have been other sightings of it in that area.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast