Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Wink Re: Mountain Lion sighting

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Just show me the fresh lion shit. All I want to see is the shit. Show me the shit. All creatures shit. Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. I just want to see it, smell it, touch it, and smear my face in it. Then maybe......just maybe....I will believe.
    Maybe a domestic Mountain Lion that was taken as a cub,but highly doubt the sightings,like you said Fulla Shit !

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mountain Lion sighting

I was scouting the Saturday before opening day of deer rifle season up in Rome, PA about 15 years ago. My co-worker and I didn't get but 25 yards from the road when we saw a German Shepherd sized cat stand up and slowly walk off in the other direction. It was about 50 yds away so we both saw it very clearly. Neither of us saw its face but it had a long tail and you could make out its shoulder blades moving up and down as it walked. It was overcast and late in the afternoon so everything had a dull grey look to it but it looked like it was tan in color, slightly lighter than that of a whitetail.

We went over to where we saw it and couldn't find any tracks because of all the oak leaves on the ground. I wouldn't swear on a stack of bibles that we saw a cougar, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Bobcats just don't get that big.

(Lehigh County)

For the longest time Nebraska denied having mountain lions, despite all of the game cam pics being sent in. January 1st of this year guess what they had, opening day of their first mountain lion season.

(Beaver County)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    There are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania.
    Agree

OP: I have a place near Hyner Mtn view and familiar with the area. Seems like everyone has trail cams out there. I simply can't believe it until I see a pic or some other sign out there. There were a few snowfalls up there during archery, bear and deer. If there's a cougar out there I can't believe no has found tracks nor gotten a pic.

(Dauphin County)

Well, Flick says he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski's candy store.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I've heard a bazillion cougar stories here in PA but again unlike other states that have evidence, no one has yet to dig up a verifiable photo taken here in PA, tree scratchings, prints, scat with a DNA match, dead kills, dead cougars on the road, etc.

Could there be the odd released pet or male that ranges out into the state? It's possible but yet unproven.

There are a couple of organizations out there that roam through the evidence and have found nothing. The Eastern Cougar Foundation has renamed itself after spending tons of time chasing the fairytale.

If cougars really existed here in PA, we would know. People will continue to persist with the stories but no one ever has any evidence.

What people see are feral cats and they misjudge the distance they see them at. I've made the same mistake myself out west and only after a second look realize it's a house cat.
    I have to agree here. If there really were cougars in PA a dead one would have turned up by now. There has to be so many to be a viable breeding population - I think I recall our resident WCO posting that it's around 50 animals. If they were really here, there would be at least 1 roadkill.

So far in 2014, 20 have been killed on FL roads - 10 in the past 12 years on just one stretch of highway - with an estimated population of 100 - 160 cats.

http://www.defenders.org/florida-pan...r-deaths-roads

This site documents deaths, litters and depredations - and has CLEAR pictures.

http://www.floridapanthernet.org/ind...se/#.VKLWTsBE4

Bill

(Lawrence County)

Cougars love to eat coyotes. I've tracked them several times in Colorado.

The big cats are here and there is at least one here on the western side of the state. People used to say there were no coyotes not so long ago.......

Lycannodoubtthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    I have to agree here. If there really were cougars in PA a dead one would have turned up by now. There has to be so many to be a viable breeding population - I think I recall our resident WCO posting that it's around 50 animals. If they were really here, there would be at least 1 roadkill.

So far in 2014, 20 have been killed on FL roads - 10 in the past 12 years on just one stretch of highway - with an estimated population of 100 - 160 cats.

http://www.defenders.org/florida-pan...r-deaths-roads

This site documents deaths, litters and depredations - and has CLEAR pictures.

http://www.floridapanthernet.org/ind...se/#.VKLWTsBE4

Bill
    And even that Florida population was on it's way to extinction when the numbers fell to around 50 and if it wasn't for introducing a bunch of western cats into the population then it would have been extinct now.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Agree

OP: I have a place near Hyner Mtn view and familiar with the area. Seems like everyone has trail cams out there. I simply can't believe it until I see a pic or some other sign out there. There were a few snowfalls up there during archery, bear and deer. If there's a cougar out there I can't believe no has found tracks nor gotten a pic.
    With having a large population of outdoorsman here in PA, all the trail cams, all the hunting going on, etc, it would seem strange that for all the cougar stories people tell, where is proof?

Up here in Tioga County just about everyone I know has a cougar story including some wild stories about black panthers eating people decades ago(black cougars don't exist, never have). Yet for all the trail cams, all the people outdoors, all the cell phone cameras, no one has dragged up a road kill, a kill by the cougars, paw prints, anything.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast