Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Mountain Lion sighting

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    There are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania.

The eastern cougars died out in the early part of the 20th century with the exception of the "Florida Panthers" in the Everglades. Those would have died out in the 1980's and 1990's had not wildlife officials introduced western cougars into the population.

So you have the western cougar which has been expanding it's range to the east. But they are not here yet. How do I know? Because any state where there are cougars, there is sign and no one in PA has been able to find any despite the large amount of hunters and outdoorsman in PA. In any other state where the cougar exists they frequently get hit by cars, scratch up trees, leave prints everywhere, poop everywhere, leave fur around, dead kills, etc. No one has yet found any of that here in PA, nor has gotten a picture either. Here in Tioga County we have had a few people proclaim to have taken photos of cougars, when hilariously it is very obviously a bobcat.

What people see are larger feral cats at distance which look bigger than they are.
    I have seen several bobcats throughout my life. I know what a bobcat looks like. And if you have ever seen a bobcat you will notice it has no tail (that little nub doesn't count). The cat I saw was only 75 yards away, that is not a great distance, and I assure you that it was no bobcat or house cat.

On another note Mountain Lions are here folks and the game commissions doesn't deny this. It was even on their website last year. It is no longer folklore, I wasn't trying to convince people they are here because it is fact. I was merely relaying the circumstances under which I saw mine.
    Last edited by Bassaro; December 28th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.

I saw one just north of Pittsburgh when I was a child.

This was no feral house cat, bobcat or dog. I remember that day very well.

You can find a cougar in just about every bar in PRNJ

But seriously; I was sure I saw one(mountain lion) in North Jersey a couple of years ago, but got the same reaction from the game commission.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Lehigh County)

I believe him. About 15 years ago a neighbor from a mile down the road saw one from his house. He called me because he knew I had hunted them and he wanted to show me the tracks in heavy mud. I looked at them and called Mike Beahm, the WCO in Lehigh county at the time, who I knew very well. Mike came out and made plaster castings of the tracks.

After they set up he brought the front right print into my house. That rock under the right front foot on the mount does not support anything. Actually the rock is screwed to the foot. We removed it so we could see the bottom of the foot and compare it to the casting. It was a perfect match but only about 3/4 size which would have been about right for a female or an immature male. Mine was a big boy, going into the Safari Club Archery Record Book. That's what the plaque is about.

He sent the castings into the commission and of course they couldn't determine what it was but it wasn't a cougar. There were a few other reports of sightings within about 50 miles but of course the PGC said it couldn't be.

The outfitter that I hunted that cat and several elk with said that it is very rare to see a cougar in the wild unless your chasing one with hounds and he trees, which is how I got this one. And for those who say shooting a treed cat is no sport, well you haven't done it, at least not in the Rockies of MT.

The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    The rangers in kentucky just killed the first mt lion east of the mississippi since the civil war, michigans chief ranger personally observed a mt lion. I would believe a feral cougar was released or escaped from some collector before I believe the game commission was releasing them.
    Illinois has had about 1/2 dz. verified sightings and 3 killed since early 2007. The dna on all have traced them back to the Dakotas. One got hit by a train down south, one was killed around chicago and I believe the other was up by Rockford. It has taken the state 25yrs. to admit that they were here even after the pictures were all over the net.

The all were young males looking for territory and mates. We do not have Cougars or Wolves but it is illegal to hunt them.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Wayne County)

We have a member from the Sterling Historical Society that has one on trail camera.

(Tioga County)

I've heard a bazillion cougar stories here in PA but again unlike other states that have evidence, no one has yet to dig up a verifiable photo taken here in PA, tree scratchings, prints, scat with a DNA match, dead kills, dead cougars on the road, etc.

Could there be the odd released pet or male that ranges out into the state? It's possible but yet unproven.

There are a couple of organizations out there that roam through the evidence and have found nothing. The Eastern Cougar Foundation has renamed itself after spending tons of time chasing the fairytale.

If cougars really existed here in PA, we would know. People will continue to persist with the stories but no one ever has any evidence.

What people see are feral cats and they misjudge the distance they see them at. I've made the same mistake myself out west and only after a second look realize it's a house cat.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    The rangers in kentucky just killed the first mt lion east of the mississippi since the civil war, michigans chief ranger personally observed a mt lion.
    Nice try

You just tried to slip that in, and think we might believe in Kentucky. With all the Colonels and such I suppose. Right after we find Atlantis populated with mountain lions.

(Westmoreland County)

Just show me the fresh lion shit. All I want to see is the shit. Show me the shit. All creatures shit. Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. I just want to see it, smell it, touch it, and smear my face in it. Then maybe......just maybe....I will believe.

(Lawrence County)

When someone takes a picture of a Mountain lion in Pa and can then take me to the exact spot where the picture was taken I will believe that they are here. Until then I have about as much faith in mountain lion sightings as I do in bigfoot sightings.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast