Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Reloading for Long Term Storage

For really long term and if you want to be as sure as possible... ( desiccants and 50, 30 cal cans work for me ).. try these...

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...54-118908.aspx

Also, keep those ammo cans of the concrete floor... on a pallet or even 2x4's... the floor will "transfer" the temp fluctuations as well as contribute to condensation.
    If you are worried about extreme temp fluctuations ( garage, shed, etc...) consider putting the ammo cans in a big camping cooler or old broken fridge... the insulation will minimize temp. swings.

Make sure to label the cans with info... date, product, quantity, reload info..

You won't remember the specific info 5 years from now.... Lol, Remembering info is one of the biggest lies I tell myself.

Cool Re: Reloading for Long Term Storage

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    I have just finished a week long project of reloading. I loaded 1000 .308 for my DPMS LR-308 and 5000 .223 for my two ARs. I crimped all bullets using a Lee Factory Crimp die. My question is should I also seal the primers. This ammo is intended for SHTF type storage. I want this ammo to survive long term and still be reliable.
    I just fired 50 rds of .357 reloads I did back in 1992..no problemo..They were not stored in any particular "special way"..just dry, airtite, in military ammo can and kept cool and dry for 23 years. I found'em when I was putting away some rlds I did this week..one box all fired fine. The primers were CCI w no special seals. Powder..Unique.

IMHO the enemy of ammo is water, heat and politicians......

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading for Long Term Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    I just fired 50 rds of .357 reloads I did back in 1992..no problemo..They were not stored in any particular "special way"..just dry, airtite, in military ammo can and kept cool and dry for 23 years. I found'em when I was putting away some rlds I did this week..one box all fired fine. The primers were CCI w no special seals. Powder..Unique.

IMHO the enemy of ammo is water, heat and politicians......
    I like the sounds of that and it seems likely that is what most of us would find.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12