Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger Alaskan 454 casull

Well, some of the board members followed my last thread about getting a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull. I pulled the trigger today, and the Sig P220 left the stable and I welcomed the Ruger 454 beast.

It's a very nice revolver. It's used, and it has a cylinder ring. But it's in good shape. Timing on the cylinder was spot on for all 6 chambers. I put on some GP100 grips with a snakeskin pattern, and I like how the smaller grips feel and carry.

The only thing that I noticed is that there is a little endshake movement (fore and aft) of the cylinder when the gun is in full lockup (trigger held back).

Any Ruger or Super Blackhawk owners think this would be normal? I used to have a Ruger SP101 NEW that had some endshake. Smith & Wesson's that I have had always had zero end shake. Do Ruger double action revolvers have 'looser' tolerances for fore / aft cylinder movement? My dad (a mechanical engineer) will bring over his feeler gauges in a few days, so I'll have a better idea on how much endshake there is.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ruger Alaskan 454 casull

This can be the thread for the Alaskan club

Count me amongst the members
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lehigh County)

A little bit of shake is fairly normal. The big measurement in that respect is the B/C gap. I believe the spec on that is .008. Anything less is good to go.

Have you shot this gun with full tilt 454 loads yet? If you haven't I suspect that you will be migrating back to the softer Hogue grips after you do. Hanging on to a 454 in that small of a package with the Lett style grips is something less than fun.

(Westmoreland County)

First of all congrats! The endshake would be hard to judge without seeing it. MidwayUSA sells the bearings if you think you might need them. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519...-package-of-10 It's a relatively simple repair and videos for disassembly are on yoytube.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    This can be the thread for the Alaskan club

Count me amongst the members
    Count me in.

With a little H110 or 296 they double as both a revolver and a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    First of all congrats! The endshake would be hard to judge without seeing it. MidwayUSA sells the bearings if you think you might need them. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519...-package-of-10 It's a relatively simple repair and videos for disassembly are on yoytube.

Count me in.

That's quite a photo. Is that the sonic boom as the slug breaks the sound barrier?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    That's quite a photo. Is that the sonic boom as the slug breaks the sound barrier?
    No, Thats the unburnt powder from the muzzle blast. We need a picture taken at dusk!

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

.454 in an Alaskan is like a 454 in a '32 Ford-mean, nasty, and a great ride!

I'm in. I actually just got some Hornady XTP Mags for mine. I don't feel like messing with hard cast right now.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    If you turn out the lights, things really get interesting!

...granted, that photo is of a 460 but with the short barrel a 454 Alaskan will be similar.

p.s. Not my photo, copied from a thread here:

(Philadelphia County)

If anyone's interested the gun was featured in the movie Faster.