Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta jetfire

(Lycoming County)

Default Beretta jetfire

Got to shoot one of my recent gunshow purchases today. Beretta 950 jetfire in .25acp. I ran 100rds of PPU 50gr fmj through it and had one FTF. The round got hung up on the feed ramp. With the tip up barrel it was very easy to clear. The sights are minuscule on it and were pretty hard to pick up for me. It shot a little low using the sights to the best of my abilities. Groups at 7yds were in the 2-3" range when I slow fired and tried to aim with the little sights. At 15yds they opened up pretty bad. The tiny sights and short radius definitely become an issue at this range. I could still keep it on the paper, but that was about it.

I personally like it for what it is. It is very very small and easy to conceal just about anywhere. The single action trigger makes it easy to control. For short ranges it is pretty accurate. I did a couple draw and fire drills from my front pocket and at close range it will pepper center mass easily. I'll wait and see on reliability until I can run some different ammo through it and give it a good cleaning and oil (I didn't do anything besides take it out of the box and load it up). Lack of lubrication may have contributed to the FTF that I had. This might find a home in my front pocket as a BUG occasionally.

Slow fire at 7yds.

15yds, Starting to reach the limitations of the sights a little
    for me.

5-7yds practicing draw and some rapid fire. Once I got comfortable it grouped pretty well for such a tiny gun. The last mag I fired I drew took a second to aim and emptied the whole thing in to the head area of the target at 7yds. I was pleasantly suprised when I saw they all hit home.

One last thought on range safety. This was shot at my fathers private range at his house. I stopped by to quickly fire off my new addition and run a couple mags through my EDC. I didn't bring my range bag so I grabbed a pair of ear plugs that I keep in my glove box hung a target and shot away. I neglected to bring my shooting glasses so I just didn't worry about it. Dumb move! The last mag I ran threw my Star that I carry I had a hot piece of 9mm brass come back at a weird angle and smack me right between the eyes. An inch to the left or right and It might have done some serious damage. Really makes you think about the discussions we have had on here about complacency and how accidents like ND's happen to people who have been shooting a pretty long time. I preach eyes and ears at all times to new shooters all the time and I just broke that rule myself. Not really a terrible sin, but I should know better and I almost paid a consequence for it.

Default Re: Beretta jetfire

I have the mod 950 BS I used to carry it and still do on occasions. Ammo isnt cheap though, i shoot it once every decade.

(Bucks County)

I love that gun. I always wanted to get one. Thanks for posting pics.

(Jefferson County)

I have the Jetfire's slightly larger brother - the Bobcat.

I can put all (10) .25ACP(MecGar 9rd mags + 1) rounds into a standard sized paper plate at 10ft at near machinegun speeds. Those groups, at the ranges you mentioned, are very respectable considering the type of sights and the sight radius.

These guns and the .25ACP cartridge weren't designed for longer ranges, they were up close and personal guns. Seriously, 15yrds(45ft) is a heck of a distance for such guns. Don't knock the gun for open groups at that range. This gun is a 5-7yrd gun at most.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I can put all (10) .25ACP(MecGar 9rd mags + 1) rounds into a standard sized paper plate at 10ft at near machinegun speeds. Those groups, at the ranges you mentioned, are very respectable considering the type of sights and the sight radius.

These guns and the .25ACP cartridge weren't designed for longer ranges, they were up close and personal guns. Seriously, 15yrds(45ft) is a heck of a distance for such guns. Don't knock the gun for open groups at that range. This gun is a 5-7yrd gun at most.
    Oh, I wasn't trying to knock it. I think it performed really well. I really wasn't expecting much at 15yds truthfully. I figured I would try it after seeing it group pretty well at 7. Close is where it stood out. Compared to my lcp I found this more controllable for rapid firing at point and shoot distances.

(Tioga County)

I'm not into these smaller pistols but always found these interesting.

It's Nutnfancy's favorite Bear gun!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I've carried the Bobcat, but prefer the Colt Jr. for "throw it in my pants pocket" concealment (yes yes, I have a pocket holster). In the Old West, they would have been considered "belly guns." No aim, just stick it in the opponent's belly and pull the trigger. I call them nose guns - stick it in the nose of the guy who's attacking you and clean out his sinuses
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Berks County)

I used to have the same pistol, I picked it up for $100 some years back. What are they going for now?

(Bucks County)

Had a Couple Beretta 21A pistols over the years. Got very good accuracy out of them (for what they are) and generally pretty reliable.

Sold them due to high cost of ammo and better options out there.

For a good price would grab one again.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I've carried the Bobcat, but prefer the Colt Jr. for "throw it in my pants pocket" concealment (yes yes, I have a pocket holster). In the Old West, they would have been considered "belly guns." No aim, just stick it in the opponent's belly and pull the trigger. I call them nose guns - stick it in the nose of the guy who's attacking you and clean out his sinuses
    I'd like to find one of those as well or the Astra version. I've seen them both for sale at shows, but haven't found a good deal on one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    I used to have the same pistol, I picked it up for $100 some years back. What are they going for now?
    I picked this one up for $189. Appeared to be unfired or fired very little. The seller didn't know for sure as he bought it as part of an estate sale. It has no visible wear even on the feed ramp and is in 100% condition either way. I'm not sure if that price is a really good deal or not, but I was happy with it in the condition it is in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast