Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Reloading Process Question

The decapper in the sizing die will clear out the flash hole. I tumble, resize and decap, then prime charge and seat. I don't lube pistol cases except 500 S&W and 50ae- thats what carbide rings in the die are for.

Rifle calibers take more work and get lube etc.

(Washington County)

Tumble once, deprime/size, trim, load.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Jefferson County)

I typically clean first, then deprime.

I then clean the primer pockets by hand to inspect the cases. ..then they get loaded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I deprime, then tumble.
    I think I read somewhere that the primers contain nasty stuff so I figure it is better to remove them intact rather than muck up my tumbling media.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Stuff I'm gonna run thru my Dillon get cleaned first. Most rifle ammo I do on my single stage. So I clean , resize/deprime/check/trim OAL/deburr/ retumble , then prime & load.

No sense in pressing the dirt into the brass. Clean brass seems to go thru the sizer die smoother too.

I use fine grit walnut which doesn't clog flash holes or pack up the primer pockets. Kinda cleans the primer pockets anyway.
    Exactly what I do.

(Schuylkill County)

I deprime off line with a harvey deprimer, wet tumble with ss pins lemishine and dawn dish detergent and store till I`m ready to load.

I have a single stage press so this advice may not be applicable to you if your using a multi stage. I wouldn't resize dirty brass, and since most dies are set up to decap and resize at the same time, I would suggest cleaning first for multi stage operations.

What i do, however, is use a lee decapper die on my brass first. Once it is deprimed, I run it thought the ultrasonic cleaner. Brass comes out mighty shiny, including inside the primer pocket. Allow to air dry or use a hairdryer, I wouldn't suggest putting them in the oven (see some of my other threads).

(Tioga County)

Typically I don't worry about decapping separately as it adds another step. I just do my pre clean with dawn and lemishine and that gets the grit off so I can resize, deprime and expand easily. Before going to the next step of priming, I'll ultrasonic clean if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Typically I don't worry about decapping separately as it adds another step. I just do my pre clean with dawn and lemishine and that gets the grit off so I can resize, deprime and expand easily. Before going to the next step of priming, I'll ultrasonic clean if need be.
    Maybe its just the OCD in me put i love clean primer pockets. That, and when i ultrasonic clean with the old primers in place the water gets really yucky really quick.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    Maybe its just the OCD in me put i love clean primer pockets. That, and when i ultrasonic clean with the old primers in place the water gets really yucky really quick.
    That's why I do my pre clean in the plastic bucket with lemishine and dawn. Plenty of garbage leaks out of the flash holes. By the time I get to the ultrasonic clean, it's not too bad. I have my hand tool to clean primer pockets if all that doesn't work. I prefer clean pockets as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast