Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor host

(Montgomery County)

Default Suppressor host

Looking to pick up my first NFA item, a suppressor.

I have a couple of routes I can go:

1. Buy a silencer and adapter for my sig 1911-22 spend ~ $450 and I have an entry level can and host set up.

2. Buy a whole new host. This is the most expensive option. Looking at ~1000-2000

3. Buy a threaded barrel for my shield. I am hesitant to go this route since it's my carry gun. This will cost ~800-1000.

I'm leaning more towards options 1 or 2. I think I can find a used glock in 9mm a lone wolf threaded barrel and a can for around $1000. On the other hand the sig is my most fun gun to shoot and having it suppressed would be pretty cool

Any opinions or comments would be appreciated. I don't plan on doing this right away so I have time to scower the web for deals.

(York County)

Default Re: Suppressor host

First, get a 22lr can.
    It's the best bang for the buck. It'll work on any .22lr firearm (pistol and rifle) and last a lifetime.

Then do a Glock.

Skip suppressing the Shield, too small for reliable functioning and a custom barrel would be cost prohibitive.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Washington County)

HunterTown Arms makes a great 22LR suppressor at a great price. They have 3 different models (different baffles).

Guardian 22 $199 (aluminum baffles)
    Guardian 22SS $250 (stainless baffles)
    Kestrel 22 $350 (stainless baffles that interlock)

I had the guardian 22 and upgraded to the kestrel. They're both great cans, but the kestrel or SS baffles are easier to clean and will last longer VS the aluminum ones.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Montgomery County)

$1,150 out the door, includes the $200 for the tax stamp. So you're really at $950 for the gun and suppressor.

We set this package up specifically for those who want to get into NFA without spending an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by KingShootersSupply View Post

$1,150 out the door, includes the $200 for the tax stamp. So you're really at $950 for the gun and suppressor.

We set this package up specifically for those who want to get into NFA without spending an arm and a leg.
    Have AJ throw on some higher sights and you're good to hook. Not too shabby...not too shabby at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Butler County)

Getting a 22 can is the cheapest route. You're right on the price, around 450 for a can, stamp and adapter.
    Then after you have the can you can put it on any other host that it will fit. Bolt guns are really quiet.
    You're starting down a slippery slope covered with hundred dollar bills. Enjoy the ride. I am. Got my 5th host last week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Have AJ throw on some higher sights and you're good to hook. Not too shabby...not too shabby at all.
    Any of our Glock Armorers could do that. But you don't even need it done.

These Glocks come with FACTORY threaded barrels and Ameriglo suppressor height sights already installed.

Like I said before, the idea was to get someone into the NFA game for a decent price.

Sorry about that image being huge.

Quote Originally Posted by KingShootersSupply View Post
    Any of our Glock Armorers could do that. But you don't even need it done.

These Glocks come with FACTORY threaded barrels and Ameriglo suppressor height sights already installed.

Like I said before, the idea was to get someone into the NFA game for a decent price.

Sorry about that image being huge.
    I was so mesmerized by the add, I didn't even see that.

This is a pretty good idea. Turn-key solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Washington County)

I second the suggestion for getting a Huntertown Arms suppressor for your 22 first. That was my first can and it takes a LONG time before you get bored with it!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

For pure fun and plinking, I love my AAC Element .22 silencer. If I could do it again, I'd probably forego the Walther P22 that I have and opt for either a Ruger or Buckmark.

For something a bit more substantial, I would consider the above from King's. While all my 9mm hosts are HK's, the King's package is a very economical way to get in.

You can always pick up other hosts such as an HK or FN or SIG or whatever else. All the AAC silencers I have are very good and they are a good value.

However, 9mm is not really an optimal silencing round as 115 grn "normal" 9mm rounds are supersonic and you will still hear the crack of the round. It's not that quiet. If you use subsonic 147 or 158 grin rounds, you will get much better "silenced" results. This ammo is a bit harder to find and a bit pricier.

In my opinion, .45 ACP is my favorite host caliber. Not only do you have the ubiquitous manufacturers like HK, Glock, Sig, FN making threaded barreled guns, but you can use them on 1911's. The "standard" 230 grin round is subsonic already, so it's rather quiet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast