Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Once a spike not always a spike: awesome article with great pics

As the title says. I came across this article and was astounded at the year by year changes in this buck as well as the longevity. Check it out, up you won't be disappointed.

http://whitetailoverload.com/watch-s...ett-buck-pics/

Ps why do I never see a buck like that
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Once a spike not always a spike: awesome article with great pics

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    As the title says. I came across this article and was astounded at the year by year changes in this buck as well as the longevity. Check it out, up you won't be disappointed.

Great article, I let 3 small ones walk this year. Why don't we see bucks like that around here, we kill their asses before they get to be 4 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Great article, I let 3 small ones walk this year. Why don't we see bucks like that around here, we kill their asses before they get to be 4 years old.
    I have let a bunch walk this year

Will probably just get plowed by the guy one farm over
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post

When I hunted archery in Pike Co. Illinois from 1999-2001 I saw a couple bucks that probably scored north of 180, they are a sight to behold. I saw many P&Y buck as well, but let me tell you there is nothing like being in a tree stand and seeing a 180" buck less than 50yds away, heart pounding.

I hunted Pa for 30 plus years and I'd say the biggest buck I ever saw maybe went 140, and I seen him out of season. The 2 biggest bucks I have ever seen on stand during archery I killed, the biggest is a 127" non typical and the other is a non typical that would have scored about 130" had both sides been the same.

Pa is getting better but in no way compares to other states. Next year I'm going to Ohio for archery season, a friend has some property and they do get some very big bucks on it.

(Bucks County)

This guy was cruising the property I hunt in Chester County this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by firebird.77; December 19th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    This guy was cruising the property I hunt in Chester County this year.
    thanks for helping me start my morning with jealousy
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Westmoreland County)

I had a really nice 8-PT sniffing every doe that was behind my house this archery season. If he weighted a pound, he went at least 160. He had a beautiful rack and really nice base's on him. My guess is he was 3+ years old. On evening my neighbor kid called me about 8:30, after the time change and says "Mr. XXX, there was a big doe laying right in front of your porch! When me and my Mom were pulling in our driveway I spotted the doe, and then I saw this BIG 8 point run down behind your house into the woods!!" Then he told me he took his Mom's cell phone to get some doe pics, and ask if he could come over to show me them. So,I said "sure."

So, it was a nice warm evening and I go to the front door and step out on my front porch. I'm standing there and I look to my left....and about 15 feet looking right back at me is this BIG 8 POINT!!! He's looking right at me, and he's doing the head side-to-side thing, then he turns his head left-to-right. My wife is sitting on the couch....as my door is wide open (my after thought is I'm really glad he did not charge me.....and I'm really glad he did not come into my home) so I yell to her "Come here....you have got to see this!!"

So, she steps out (and my neighbor kid and his Mom step out of their front door at the same time) and the buck looks at her. Now, it was a very calm night....so giving it some afterthought I realize what the buck did what he did. But I'll get to that. So, the buck then....just trots about 15 feet (yes FEET....not yards) right in front of my wife and I and across my front yard he goes....across my driveway....and ZOOM...down over the hill following the path the doe took!! It was really cool!! And what a buck he was.

Now, giving it some afterthought.....the doe was "attempting" to "hide" in some tall grass's that my wife has planted as landscaping off of our front porch. Obviously the doe was coming into heat, or already there. When my neighbor pulled into their driveway, they spooked the buck....but not that bad. So, when my neighbor kid came walking over clicking pic's of the doe....she took off. However, the buck came back up....not knowing the doe took off, only to find me standing there. Of course.....the buck, seeing my ugly face....is likely thinking..."Hey...where is my doe in heat?" And.."What is your ugly face doing here?" Then I'b betting the buck got a whiff of the doe scent and tossing all fear aside....as males will do when going after women.....he just followed his nose right to the doe!!

Now, after all of that typing....here is a picture of a huge rack buck that was killed by a car just a mile as the crow flies, away from my house:

The genetics around here are great. The sad part, even though you see a tag is...this buck was hit an hour earlier by car #1 and lived to go bread a doe or two. Then he decided to cross back over the road, and was hit by car#2. Car #2 did him in. But an archery hunter stopped, called the PGC to obtain the "rack tag". But once he found out it was going to cost him $110 to get the rack, he hung up and slapped his buck tag on it.

OTOH......these big rack buck gene's still are around. Two years ago my neighbor kid arrowed a nice 11 point in the post Christmas season.

FWIW

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I had a really nice 8-PT sniffing every doe that was behind my house this archery season. If he weighted a pound, he went at least 160. He had a beautiful rack and really nice base's on him. My guess is he was 3+ years old. On evening my neighbor kid called me about 8:30, after the time change and says "Mr. XXX, there was a big doe laying right in front of your porch! When me and my Mom were pulling in our driveway I spotted the doe, and then I saw this BIG 8 point run down behind your house into the woods!!" Then he told me he took his Mom's cell phone to get some doe pics, and ask if he could come over to show me them. So,I said "sure."

So, it was a nice warm evening and I go to the front door and step out on my front porch. I'm standing there and I look to my left....and about 15 feet looking right back at me is this BIG 8 POINT!!! He's looking right at me, and he's doing the head side-to-side thing, then he turns his head left-to-right. My wife is sitting on the couch....as my door is wide open (my after thought is I'm really glad he did not charge me.....and I'm really glad he did not come into my home) so I yell to her "Come here....you have got to see this!!"

So, she steps out (and my neighbor kid and his Mom step out of their front door at the same time) and the buck looks at her. Now, it was a very calm night....so giving it some afterthought I realize what the buck did what he did. But I'll get to that. So, the buck then....just trots about 15 feet (yes FEET....not yards) right in front of my wife and I and across my front yard he goes....across my driveway....and ZOOM...down over the hill following the path the doe took!! It was really cool!! And what a buck he was.

Now, giving it some afterthought.....the doe was "attempting" to "hide" in some tall grass's that my wife has planted as landscaping off of our front porch. Obviously the doe was coming into heat, or already there. When my neighbor pulled into their driveway, they spooked the buck....but not that bad. So, when my neighbor kid came walking over clicking pic's of the doe....she took off. However, the buck came back up....not knowing the doe took off, only to find me standing there. Of course.....the buck, seeing my ugly face....is likely thinking..."Hey...where is my doe in heat?" And.."What is your ugly face doing here?" Then I'b betting the buck got a whiff of the doe scent and tossing all fear aside....as males will do when going after women.....he just followed his nose right to the doe!!

Now, after all of that typing....here is a picture of a huge rack buck that was killed by a car just a mile as the crow flies, away from my house:

The genetics around here are great. The sad part, even though you see a tag is...this buck was hit an hour earlier by car #1 and lived to go bread a doe or two. Then he decided to cross back over the road, and was hit by car#2. Car #2 did him in. But an archery hunter stopped, called the PGC to obtain the "rack tag". But once he found out it was going to cost him $110 to get the rack, he hung up and slapped his buck tag on it.

OTOH......these big rack buck gene's still are around. Two years ago my neighbor kid arrowed a nice 11 point in the post Christmas season.

FWIW

Dave
    i thought i had seen some commentary on why that buck is fake...some pictures from other angles
    Montani Semper Liberi

Kind of sad to watch a beautiful deer wither away and ultimately die from exposure.....but such is life.

Deer like that rarely will be found in PA. We have the genetics and food, but we kill them most times at about 3 1/2. Too many hunters that are to congested. Now if I could hunt some developments there would be some old guys to be found.

Around here I think in a few more years there are going to be some real granddad's floating around. Driving around this past rifle season it struck me how much contiguous land is available to hunt, but so few hunt these days that many deer are easily floating through the season. Every ridge top I past there wasn't a spot of orange to be seen. Just in the easy access areas.
    Time will tell.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

That's funny I don't usually tag my deer after I hit them with a car
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast