Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Holiday travel question

Hi,

I am traveling into PA to visit family and will be staying in a hotel while here.

I have a laundry list of valid, current out-of-state carry permits, all of which are no longer honored by PA if my understanding is correct.

(ME, CT, VA, FL, UT, NV) All non-resident permits.

Used to have NH but the eligibility requirements changed, preventing me from renewing it.

At any rate, confining the discussion strictly to the legality of carry/transportation in PA, my questions are:

1) Can I carry legally in a vehicle while travelling to the hotel?

I thought the answer was 'no', but the NRA-ILA site lists this exemption:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...nsylvania.aspx

"However, no license is required:

(6) while carrying a firearm in any vehicle when the person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the U.S. or any other state; "

2) If not, can I transport unloaded/cased?

3) When I get to the hotel, can I load the firearm and/or possess it lawfully at the hotel?

4) I assume I have to leave the firearm in my room when I venture out of the hotel.

Thanks for any help.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Holiday travel question

YES, because you hold a license or permit from "any other state."

3) When I get to the hotel, can I load the firearm and/or possess it lawfully at the hotel?
    Yes.

4) I assume I have to leave the firearm in my room when I venture out of the hotel.
    If you are on foot, NO. You may open carry while on foot.

(Except in Philly, where you must have a recognized carry permit even for open carry.)
    --Sam

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by whatshappeninman View Post
    Hi,

I am traveling into PA to visit family and will be staying in a hotel while here.

I have a laundry list of valid, current out-of-state carry permits, all of which are no longer honored by PA if my understanding is correct.

(ME, CT, VA, FL, UT, NV) All non-resident permits.

Used to have NH but the eligibility requirements changed, preventing me from renewing it.

At any rate, confining the discussion strictly to the legality of carry/transportation in PA, my questions are:

I thought the answer was 'no', but the NRA-ILA site lists this exemption:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...nsylvania.aspx

"However, no license is required:

(6) while carrying a firearm in any vehicle when the person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the U.S. or any other state; "

2) If not, can I transport unloaded/cased?

Thanks for any help.
    1) You can transport in a vehicle with a License/CCW from any state.... I'm not sure if that means you can have it holstered on your waist though.

2) While in the hotel, you can have it loaded in your room.

3) If you are not in Philly, and you leave your hotel on foot (not getting into a car/truck/motorcycle) you can carry openly.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Thanks for the quick responses, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    1) You can transport in a vehicle with a License/CCW from any state.... I'm not sure if that means you can have it holstered on your waist though.
    That was one area of confusion for me - I don't want to get locked up because the term "carry" means something different in Pennsylvania law.

If I have to stop at a hotel en route to my final destination (hotel), everything still applies, I assume? I'm still considered to be in transit?

(Chester County)

Thanks for the quick responses, folks!

That was one area of confusion for me - I don't want to get locked up because the term "carry" means something different in Pennsylvania law.

If I have to stop at a hotel en route to my final destination (hotel), everything still applies, I assume? I'm still considered to be in transit?
    Yes. [note: legality of possession while IN the hotel is a function of hotel rules and patron notifications]

Not sure why you asked/the significance of "being in transit". The exception applies when you possess a firearm IN a vehicle. It is not predicated on start/stop points.
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 18th, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

I think your biggest worry is transporting in NJ before you get to the NJ version of the Berlin wall called the Delaware river.
    NJ residents really need to do something about the laws there. It's a crime when gun owners see it as a vacation getaway when they go to PA to carry.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    I think your biggest worry is transporting in NJ before you get to the NJ version of the Berlin wall called the Delaware river.
    That 600 lb gorilla has been side-stepped by OP. I presume he knows about the issue but choses to ignore it when he posted:

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Yes. [note: legality of possession while IN the hotel is a function of hotel rules and patron notifications]

Not sure why you asked/the significance of "being in transit". The exception applies when you possess a firearm IN a vehicle. It is not predicated on start/stop points.
    So "carry" means I can have it concealed on my person, under the seat, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    That 600 lb gorilla has been side-stepped by OP. I presume he knows about the issue but choses to ignore it when he posted:
    Yes, deliberately so. I am aware of the official position of the board, and am aware of the opinion of NJ firearms attorneys, and have made my peace with travel east of the Delaware. I want to avoid revisiting that issue here.

(Chester County)

So "carry" means I can have it concealed on my person, under the seat, etc.?
    The statute prohibits two methods of carry and then present several exceptions that tolls the prohibitions:

18 Pa CS § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle,
    which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license
    for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the
    United States or any other state.
    I read that exception as obviating both the proscription against concealed on/about person carry AND vehicular carry -- ie all of subsection (a). I can also see, having assimilated several recent Pa appellate court decisions, that they could incorrectly interpret the exception as not applying to on/about person carry. I've never seen any on-point case law that gives a definitive answer. The safest legal way would be to transport locked/unloaded - beyond that the legal risk rises.

Yes, deliberately so. I am aware of the official position of the board, and am aware of the opinion of NJ firearms attorneys, and have made my peace with travel east of the Delaware. I want to avoid revisiting that issue here.
    As long as you appreciate the risks, proceed at your pleasure or peril.
    IANAL