Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default why get a pa carry permit?

just curious as to why i should get one? i moved to pa from florida and have my florida carry permit. which is good in pa and alot of other states since i had to take a class?(either that or a good ag?) it doesn't expire until 2010. so is there any reason why i should apply to get my PA permit since i'm already covered?

York (near the Emigsville Exit off I83, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default Re: why get a pa carry permit?

It would all be a moot point if the national carry law comes to pass...otherwise, no need to think about it until 2010 - until you get stopped by a PA cop who wants to know why you have a Fla. license and you live here in Pa. It could cause a hassle. Then again, you may never need to even prove you have the permit. How stable are reciprocity regulations in a Dem controlled society???
    NRA Annual Member
    USAF Prior Enlisted
    Join and Support the NRA

(Bradford County)

Pa. ID and Florida pistol permit? You might have a problem just like if your car is licenced in Pa. and you have a Fl. drivers licence.

(Pike County)

I'd consider getting it for the simple fact, it's cheap, easy, and you never know when they'll stop handing them out.

(Bedford County)

I have the feeling that once you were into 90 days residency and beyond, plus having/needing PA ID with your DL - you could run into problems.

And yeah why bother not to!!! It is so easy for most - in my case and I'd expect yours, it's a visit to SO, fill in the form and stump up $26. You could be in and out in half an hour, depending on how quick your SO is.

Out west I reckon we get ours thru quicker than some counties out east.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

(Allegheny County)

i was just wandering my florida permit just got transfered to a non-res florida permit. yeah gotta drive into town and visit the office. i hate downtown, no place to park my truck but in a sirface lot that's gonna charge me $11 to park for an hour,ugh i had to do that when i got my electricity turned on.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by yobos4vr View Post
    i was just wandering my florida permit just got transfered to a non-res florida permit. yeah gotta drive into town and visit the office. i hate downtown, no place to park my truck but in a sirface lot that's gonna charge me $11 to park for an hour,ugh i had to do that when i got my electricity turned on.
    Next time, if you dont mind walking a bit, you should leave your car on the train station just before the city. Ride Septa for 5 minutes and you are free to enjoy downtown.

Plus, you get to see all the pretty ladies in the subway!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

When I had to renew my PA non resident license I showed my FL non resident permit. The deputy said I can carry on my FL but it might casue a problem. Another deputy said I can use my FL and dont need to renew my license.Just shows you no one knows the law. If you carry the PA / FL reciprocity agreement with you, you will probably be fine. Being that you are a PA resident I would say get it. it is cheep and easy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by yobos4vr View Post
    just curious as to why i should get one? i moved to pa from florida and have my florida carry permit. which is good in pa and alot of other states since i had to take a class?(either that or a good ag?) it doesn't expire until 2010. so is there any reason why i should apply to get my PA permit since i'm already covered?
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but since you moved I don't believe your FL carry permit is still valid as your address has changed. Now that you're a resident of PA, you would likely need a FL non-resident permit, or contact the issuing agency to inform them that you've moved. Again, not completely sure, but at the very least wanted to point out the possibility, and that you may want to look into this.

Even if your existing FL permit is still valid, it's still a good idea to get a PA permit now that you're a resident of PA. If you were to be stopped for any reason, you're likely to have less trouble in PA with a resident permit than with a non-resident one. There are LEOs out there (not all, but some) who don't keep on top of all the reciprocity agreements, and having a PA permit will eliminate the possibility of trouble. In addition, it's not that expensive and not hard to get one.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Centre County)

I agree with ChamberedRound, If you're a PA resident now you should get the PA permit. There is nothing that I know of that says you have to surrender your FL permit. When you go the the Sheriffs Office you will fill out the paperwork, they will run the PICS, you pay your money and if clean PICS they issue the permit. As far as I know they will not ask you if you have one from another state unlike a drivers license. When you go in you don't even have to volunteer that you have just moved here. The most ID I ever had to show was my PA drivers license, and that was the first time I applied.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast