Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Last Day 5C Doe

(Chester County)

Default Last Day 5C Doe

it was a bad rifle season for me, spent a week in the moutains in 4a and didn't see any legal buck, bunch of does as usual, but could shoot them because of the new seasons, which aggravated our camp a bunch. I was able to get out on Saturday morning only saw one doe in the morning, but found a really nice spot and a good tree to climb, got there in the afternoon and decided to see how high I could get up, got up to about 25ft and decided that was high enough, wasn't there 20 minutes and I turn around and a buck was dogging a doe, he just wouldn't stay still long enough so I could make sure he was legal, they disappeared then another buck a spike came and the first buck appeared again and run him off, then I saw a really nice four point(gonna be nice next year, has a great frame) and then nothing for about 5 minutes and out comes this doe so I figured with the crappy year and not being able to get with work, im gonna take what I can get. was the furthest shot ive attempted with a gun but figured since my slug was punching xs at 100 yards I was safe I figured it was around 80 yards put it on her and shot. I watched her run off, so I figured she just run off and died, this is where the story took a turn, I wait about 20 minutes and call my grandfather let him know I got one. so I get over to where I shot and I cant find blood at all im thinking great I missed, i look up and this doe is bedded down panting so bad her whole bodys shaking but she wouldn't run, so I had to circle around so I get another shot in her and when I got in position I shot her right on the shoulder and the deer just looked at me!!!!! so I was like WHAT!!! so I shot again and that time she was done! im just happy I was able to get over there and finish her and she didn't have to suffer too much, when I gutted her, the only organs that were hit was the lungs and heart and that really baffled me that she just didn't die! im wondering if something happened with the slugs. was a terrible drag no trails and up hill threw briars and brush that a person wasn't meant to walk thru! I got her out to the opening and my grandfather was there and he was telling me to load my gun because he saw three deer on the way in and I might get another, and I told him I got enough for the day, he said your crazy if you don't!! lol he also asked me if I had to wrestle the deer from the blood on my face from when I was gutting it. sorry for the long post here's a couple pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Last Day 5C Doe

Nice doe, and good job making it count at the 11th hour and putting meat in the freezer.

(Lehigh County)

Which slug? Rifled or sabot. Question the vital shot could have been your last shot. Also people think you need to shoot behind the shoulder. There is way less vitals behind the shoulder than in the shoulder. 60-80% of vitals are in the shoulder area. If your first shot say hit liver yea it may live longer. Funny how Peaple blame deer being tuff with bullet performance. 240-300gr bullets putting a hole in the heart? I don't care if it's the worste bullet ever. A hole in the heart it lethal and a deer will react the way it reacts no explanation Deer to this day baffle me on the way they react to being shot.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Chester County)

I was using the 2.75 remington accutips. When i gutted her the lungs and heart were mush all three shots were right there, it was just odd

(Lehigh County)

Good job!!! Enjoy the backstraps!!!!
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.