Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Implications of Mt Joy Sportsmen Survey

As a member of Mt. Joy Sportsmen I just received an email survey asking when I would use the outdoor ranges. The club is also recruiting range safety officers.

Together I take this to mean the outdoor ranges in the future will only be open when range safety officers are present. I have not been attending recent meetings so I would appreciate input from other members on whether the plan is to limit use of outdoor ranges to when range safety officers are present. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Implications of Mt Joy Sportsmen Survey

Mount Joy has been going downhill for a while. They banned human silhouette targets years ago. I left after that. They overreacted to what happened and are just making things worse. They are done.

We are our own worst enemy.

(Lancaster County)

I was member there for many years and helped with the youth .22 shoots and am very surprised at all of what happened. I went by there the other day an saw a fence surrounding the property except for the clubhouse.......is there any kind of activity there any more?

(Lancaster County)

The fence has been there for some time, but with key card access until last spring. Last spring gate chained and outdoor ranges closed because of safety incident.

I now understand that outdoor ranges will be open only when range safety officers present. There was training session for range safety officers this month. I have not heard how many range safety officers have been trained, but would be interested if anyone knows the number.

Other activities continue- indoor range open, trap fields still in use, archery is unaffected. Whether these activities and limited access to the outdoor ranges will be enough to maintain the club is a good question. The financial situation of the club is poor with little reserves after money was taken and most of remaining reserves spend for plans on how to build new outdoor range.

I hope at some point consideration is given to baffling at least a 25 yard range. Baffling while expensive is much cheaper with shorter range. If there was a 25 yard range with unlimited access not dependent on the presence of range safety officers, I believe, the club would be in a far better position to retain existing members and attract new members.

(Lancaster County)

I was a member for a few years. Once I found out I can't shoot whenever I want such as 8am after I get out of work, l decided it's time to quit.
    XD-9 SC ***** XD-40 ***** Yugo SKS ***** DPMS AR-15

I shot the .30 call rifle match they had on February 8; it was well run.
    I'm not a member but I did notice lots of work done to the range since I was last there for a match.

(Lancaster County)

The range safety officer program should allow Mt Joy to open the ranges for special events. But with these often open to the general public one can question the value of a membership.

The question for me as a member is how accessible will the outdoor ranges be in hours, that I generally use. I generally have gone out in times of low use, during the week. I doubt if they will be able to have range safety officers on duty much beyond one day a week, probably on the weekend during nice weather.

My hope is the club will consider some solution, such as, baffled ranges that will permit use without range safety officers present. The shorter the range the cheaper to baffle so perhaps a 25 yard pistol and 22 rim fire range to start.

However, I don't know what promises have been made to government officials and our neighbors, so this may not be possible. We may be firmly committed to use only with range safety officers present. And there is the question of money. To me the future does not look bright.

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    The range safety officer program should allow Mt Joy to open the ranges for special events. But with these often open to the general public one can question the value of a membership.
    All clubs that hold CMP and NRA rifle matches allow non members to participate. This also allows competitors to travel to other clubs and experience different environmental conditions that affect ones accuracy when shooting a rifle. Those that stay at the home range and shoot in the same light and wind conditions all the time truly are the big fish in a little pond. Secondly, allowing non-members to participate, encourages new shooters to come to the club to see and experience first hand what the range has to offer so that they may become club members in the future. This is the reason I am a member of several clubs that hold this type of rifle match.

I shoot NRA and CMP matches in PA, NJ, DE, MD, and OH. I generally shoot 60 to 70 matches per year and belong to several clubs. Mt Joy has a nice 100yard practice competition that is an asset to the club. A range officer is present to call the firing line and to make sure everyone has a safe experience. For new people assistance is offered to help improve their marksmanship. What an idea, attract safe shooters to the club!
    Last edited by X Hunter; February 25th, 2015 at 04:06 PM.