Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: To build or buy? 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post

Now I do have a shop and am mechanically inclined (I'm an engineer). For those of you who have built one before, how much of a PITA is it? I understand its not a slap together AR like I'm accustomed to building, but as a fun project, will it actually be fun or more pull-my-hair-out?
    Being an engineer is cool and all, but it doesn't make you a 1911 builder. You've got barrel lugs and lower lugs and barrel links and sears and hammers and all sorts of things that have to have certain tolerances to work right. Not as easy as it sounds. If you over cut a lower link, your slide won't align with the frame. If you have to mill slide lugs or barrel lugs that don't fit, and you over do it, you'll have a sloppy lock up, and that's just for starters. With the things I see you're going to need, $600 isn't going to do it. You've also got to think about what kind of coating you're going to put on it.

If you want to build one to do it, then cool, but be prepared to have to rebuy something and also be prepared to have a smith help you with it. The best you can hope for is buying all milspec parts and put it together yourself and hope they don't require much fitting. Any extras you want done such as checkering is a PITA to cut by and and the tools for that are not cheap. To send it out and have done is also not cheap. I'm not trying to discourage you...you know your abilities, but for the entire package to work, everything needs to be in spec.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I say BUILD. Nothing more rewarding than saying u build it yourself from parts. I build my 1911 few years back and don't regret it one bit. I had a thread here but all the pics don't work anymore. I used a RIA frame and slide kit all from sarco.

(Montgomery County)

I like to build stuff myself as well ( I'm in construction) but idk if I'd tackle a 1911. My lgs had a used sig nightmare carry for 700 last time I was in. I'd just visit 2-3 shops around you every so often. There are plenty if deals to be had.

(Allegheny County)

I am surprised no one has mentioned a Remington R1 as a base to improve upon. I've been looking into one as a 460 Rowland conversion. They are one of few listed that Clark Custom Guns approves for that round so that must say something. I have seen them on impact guns for 586.00 for blue and 641 for stainless. That is hard to beat for a decent quality 1911. Now if I only had the money one would be mine.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-...293963238.aspx

(Susquehanna County)

Ya know I see everyone talking about the cost of parts and how they have to be fitted together. But what I don't see mentioned is the cost of tools and specialty jigs and the like so fitting the parts comes out right!

Granted, you can buy pre-fit parts or semi-fitted parts, but you still need a lug cutter http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod373.aspx

There are jigs specially made to hold the disconnector, sear and hammer in the correct alignment so they can be stoned and polished correctly plus you have to have the correct hard Arkansas stones to begin with. Then there are the right sized punches to install the different pins.

And sometimes if you're using a vise to squeeze down the slide to get that "lapped in" slide to frame fit, you squeeze too hard, aww nuts there's just too much to go through!

Go over to Brownell's website and take a walk through the section on gunsmith tools/handgun tools.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Being an engineer does not necessarily mean you have gunsmithing abilities. It does show that you've read a lot and took a lot of tests. Read the Jerry Kuhnhausen book before you buy any part for a build. There is a lot of information and insight in there. It is considered the "bible" for the 1911 build.

I'm not doubting your abilities,,,,, just recommending you do some more research prior to your final decision. Good luck.

I recommend you go with the Range Officer in .45 for your first venture into the 1911 platform.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Berks County)

What about a $650 new colt from surpluses city? That's a hundred dollar rebate and add fifty out the door. Range officer is nice but I don't like the safety. I hook it when I grab the slide. I'll take an extended slide stop and a beavertail. Under cut the front strap and she's good to go.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Ya know I see everyone talking about the cost of parts and how they have to be fitted together. But what I don't see mentioned is the cost of tools and specialty jigs
    Exactly. There are several things that just can NOT be "eyed up".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Exactly. There are several things that just can NOT be "eyed up".
    True....except the target. And with a good set of sights, it gets easier. (Which is not to be confused with "easy")

(Westmoreland County)

Here is a picture of my Springer Mil-Spec. From the photo you can see that this pic was taken in 2005. I believe I purchased the pistol in 2003. I purchased it from Gander Mt. (believe it or not...they use to have great prices on used guns) for $350 and I'm not sure if it had more than 100 rounds thru it.

Well....then I started to........

#--Added a EGW Mag well
    #--Added a Skelton trigger
    #--Added a Nowlin "drop in" trigger kit
    #--Added a "Drop in" Beaver Tail grip safety
    #--Added a EGW Barrel Bushing (I called EGW with the measurements and they cut the bushing to within .0005 of what I needed!! I had sanded it to fit perfectly!!
    #--Added "pretty" grips
    #--Had a front sight grove cut and a front fiber optic installed
    #--Installed a rear Fiber optic sight
    #--Installed an extended slide release
    #--Installed an extended Mag release

The gun is a great gun to shoot in the little competitions that we have locally. I'm no top end contender, nor am I at the very bottom. More the top 1/3. Which for my condition, is just fine. I've probably dropped another $450 into this pistol. OTOH, it's truly "my pistol." I'm not going to sell, trade, or otherwise get rid of it, and it's not a safe queen. I would not want to build one as it takes far too much effort to get everything aligned to work properly and if it's not right.....everything else will be wrong.

So, IMHO, buy a low end one and add accessories. Then you can call it "your 1911."

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast