Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default interarms virginian dragoon

So I'm pretty much just looking for some information on a newly aquired piece of mine. It's a interarms virginian dragoon. 7 amd a half inch barrel case hardened frame and the rest is blued, chambered in 44 mag. I had seen it at the gun store and handled it for a while and on the way home I had regretted not buying it. And i regretted it the rest of the weekend too. But during that time of regret I did some research on it. I found more good than bad really. There is not a whole lot of information on these guns tho. I'm mainly just curious as to what year mine was made if anyone has any serial number dates. And i reload so I've got about 1000 44s already loaded that I shoot out of my winchester model 94. They're not super hot loads but they are maxed out loads for a handgun. 12 grains of hp38 under a 180 grain hornady xtp so I'm curious as to if that would be a little hot for that gun for a regular load to be shooting. And if anyone has any other interesting bits of information about the gun or the company I'd like to hear that too. Good or bad. Thanks for any input. I'll try to post a pic for yall. Oh and the gun locks up fairly tight still. A lot tighter than some used Blackhawks I've handled the bore looks brand new also amd this gun was cleaned and oiled.....and the gun shop I bought it at never cleans any guns. It had a bit of holster wear on the end of the barrel and the blueing on the grip is purple now. I was also wondering of 365 was a fair price

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: interarms virginian dragoon

Fellow Dragoon owner here...

Serial number means nothing for date of production.

The Interarms era Dragoons were well built guns. They are beefier than Ruger (Super)Blackhawks. They also can handle fairly warm loads too. However, spare parts are drying up, some have completely dried up.

One bad thing with the Dragoons is the placement of the alignment pins on the gripframe for the grips. Where they are located it makes the grips susceptible to cracking near the pins, especially with more brittle woods or materials.

To gauge whether $365 was a good price we'd have to see it. ...otherwise it would be like asking the value of my silver Dodge minivan without seeing it. Blue Book has a top dollar of $340 for a 100% gun. But that isn't always the going price. Buyer demand, localized inflation, and what the seller needs to get out of it also determine value. Personally - I'd pay pretty much anything under $400 for a functional Dragoon that was in decent shape.

I shoot the old American Eagle 240gr JHP factory loads in my Silhouette model. They are at the original 44mag spec of a 240gr bullet at 1350fps from a 6" barrel. Out of my 10.5" barrel they are around 1600fps. My handloads - 15.7gr of BlueDot with a 240gr Gold-Dot bullet 1500fps + with my longer barrel.

Here is pdf that was written a number of years ago about the Dragoons - www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf
    Last edited by knight0334; December 13th, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

Thanks good to know! That's probably why I couldn't find anything out about serial number dates on line haha. I've always said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I tried to post a pic but I can't figure it out. Not sure if it's became I'm on my phone or what

(Beaver County)

(Beaver County)

(Beaver County)

(Beaver County)

(Beaver County)

(Jefferson County)

Book value - I'd put that around $250 if it functions just fine and the bore and chambers are good.

But, as you and I both know - book value isn't the whole story.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast