Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Rifleman articlle "Combat Magnums"

Did anyone read it? It seems S&W is coming out with an L-frame .44 Magnum capacity is reduced to 5 rounds to squeeze everything into the L sized chamber.

They're also bringing back an updated .357 magnum and naming it the Model 66. Also in L frame, and chambering 6 rounds.

Both guns will have adjustable sights.

'Course my question is why? .44 Magnum as a combat gun is something that requires a pretty big guy with huge hands to handle well. I like .357 a lot but if someone really want a combat revolver S&W has one that is nearly perfection in its Model 627 Pro and it'll give you 8 rounds of .357 Magnum magic loaded en bloc with really neat moonclips!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rifleman articlle "Combat Magnums"

Hate to be one of those but "Revolver lock" = no sale, no matter how cool!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Adams County)

I handled the new Model 69 at the outdoors show in Harrisburg last winter. I was favorably impressed, though K&L frames all feel little to me as I'm used to N-frames almost exclusively.

Why? Because a 5-shot L-frame .44 (usually Spc, not Mag) is one of those magical unobtanium things that gun guys all swear they'll each buy six of if only Smith would ever come out with one.

So Smith finally made one. Sort of. Probably would have been better as a .44 Spc. only, and with a 3" barrel...but the Mag will appeal to a broader audience.
    --Sam

It's been out for awhile and has been reviewed on a few gun shows on the sportsmans channel. The recoil is stout but far from unmanageable and you dont have to have giant hands to handle one just know how to hold and shoot a revolver. It will see epically to guy's looking to get into the growing world of revolver hunting. I wouldn't run out to buy one but if one came across my path at a good price then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

(Centre County)

S&W is now copying Taurus (Tracker 5-shot .44)...guess it's the circle of life. These will flop and vanish in a couple years the same way the Mountain guns did 20+ yrs ago. I love .44 Magnums but the vast majority of ppl who buy them can't honestly tolerate shooting more than a cylinder at a time in a full size gun let alone an undersize 5-shot like this. So if you want one of these just give it a few months til taxes are due and almost every one of these that gets bought will be for sale, usually with a substantial portion of a box of ammo to go with it.

(Clarion County)

The 69 is starting to show up at local shops. Priced here a bit over $700. I like the idea, especially for a reloader. Kinda like the model 19, shoot low level loads for practice and full house loads when appropriate. I only wish it came with a 3" barrel. As the article pointed out they slapped the 4" on to get it into Canada.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    I handled the new Model 69 at the outdoors show in Harrisburg last winter. I was favorably impressed, though K&L frames all feel little to me as I'm used to N-frames almost exclusively.

Why? Because a 5-shot L-frame .44 (usually Spc, not Mag) is one of those magical unobtanium things that gun guys all swear they'll each buy six of if only Smith would ever come out with one.

So Smith finally made one. Sort of. Probably would have been better as a .44 Spc. only, and with a 3" barrel...but the Mag will appeal to a broader audience.
    S&W already made the 44 special in an "L" frame with 3 inch barrel. I forget the number but its a Scandium framed titanium cylinder model called a Mountain Gun and runs near $1000. I looked for one for awhile and then realized 44 special ammo is sometimes more expensive than 44 mag. The new SS model 69 really appeals to me and will be one of my next two purchases.
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

Quote Originally Posted by omgur2 View Post
    S&W already made the 44 special in an "L" frame with 3 inch barrel. I forget the number but its a Scandium framed titanium cylinder model called a Mountain Gun and runs near $1000. I looked for one for awhile and then realized 44 special ammo is sometimes more expensive than 44 mag. The new SS model 69 really appeals to me and will be one of my next two purchases.
    They made more than one variation. There is the 696, the 396 MG, 396 NG, and the 296 Ti - all .44 Spl. 5-shot L-frames and all highly collectible today.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Adams County)

The "Mountain Guns" are just variations on other designs which used slimmer, tapered 4" barrels and had a few other minor touches. They were almost all N-frames, though I think there was a Lipsey's 686 Mountain gun version of the L-frame 686.

The 5-shot L-frames are the x96 series. (296, 696, 396) The 396 you're thinking of is known as the "Mountain Lite" and here's one for sale! http://www.armslist.com/posts/213872...te--44-special

Actually, if that price holds, that's a great deal, if you wanted such a thing.
    --Sam

(Philadelphia County)

Read the article and I would like one. Not sure if I can justify the $700 though. Maybe 007 is right, I'll go looking in April.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast