Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Permit to Carry Requirements for Recently Moved

While this is mostly about the bonkers laws in Texas, you might find it somewhat relevant to how some counties in PA choose to operate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/op...?emc=eta1&_r=0

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeKnifer View Post
    While this is mostly about the bonkers laws in Texas, you might find it somewhat relevant to how some counties in PA choose to operate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/op...?emc=eta1&_r=0
    I've been stating for a while now that I'll drop my support for voter ID laws if we drop the requirement to present ID before purchasing a firearm from a dealer and to possess a license/permit before carrying.

People usually assume that I'm either
    1. not being serious, or
    2. that I'm saying that all ID requirements are fine, or
    3. that it's some kind of sour grapes things.

None of these are true. I think there is a potentially valid argument for requiring proof of eligibility prior to purchasing or even carrying a firearm, even given the rather strict readings which I favor of the Second Amendment and Article 1 Section 21. BUT I think that argument is only valid if you fully accept the validity of requiring proof of eligibility prior to voting.

Possession and carrying of firearms is a fundamental right explicitly protected by the federal and PA constitutions. If it's too burdensome and/or discriminatory to require ID to vote then it's too burdensome to require ID to purchase or carry a firearm. Perhaps neither should be preconditioned upon obtaining a permission slip from the government.

(One can make the argument in reverse as well. If it's too much of a burden to require a permit to carry before carrying then perhaps it's too much of a burden to require a voter registration card to vote. IDs for all civic functions or none. Although I think the argument is weaker in this direction, since keeping and bearing arms may be more strongly protected than voting under the constitutions.)
    Last edited by twency; January 10th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Tioga County)

Any updates to this story? I have been incognito due to work. Looking forward to more info.

Have no idea how I missed this.

I don't live in Tioga, and I'm glad I do not. This sheriff has been creating problems for a while now.

He needs to go.
    Issuing ltcf's and signing off on NFA items is a primary responsibility of his office, and not optional. If he doesn't want to be bothered he needs to find another job.

On a side note we have a new sheriff coming in because our last one is about to become a prohibited person.
    I have some very pointed questions for the candidates.
    FUCK BIDEN

ok so has anyone heard or know of any policy changes concerning this?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by t.stratton View Post
    ok so has anyone heard or know of any policy changes concerning this?
    Some changes it appears:

http://www.tiogacountypa.us/Departme...sed_1_5_15.pdf

No mention of having to be a Tioga resident for a year before getting a LTCF.

(Bucks County)

Still making their own rules where Pa law does not specify references must live in Tioga county. I guess they need to feel as if they are in charge.

I am amazed that one of the most rural counties in the state is among the hardest to get approved. This is one of numerous posts I have seen regarding Tioga.

A few years ago my sister-in-law, who resides in one of our most populated (and unfortunately democratic) counties, was threatened and harassed. When the investigating PSP trooper found out her husband is frequently on the road for work he went out of the way to give her a county application and encourage her to practice shooting.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I am amazed that one of the most rural counties in the state is among the hardest to get approved. This is one of numerous posts I have seen regarding Tioga.

A few years ago my sister-in-law, who resides in one of our most populated (and unfortunately democratic) counties, was threatened and harassed. When the investigating PSP trooper found out her husband is frequently on the road for work he went out of the way to give her a county application and encourage her to practice shooting.
    I think it just happens to be the Sheriff himself and if a suitable candidate is found next time around, he's out. He says he's pro 2A but in practice he is not and rather sees himself as the gatekeeper. If you know him well he might sign off on NFA items but otherwise no. Same with the LTCF and the continued dance with unlawful, made up restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think it just happens to be the Sheriff himself and if a suitable candidate is found next time around, he's out. He says he's pro 2A but in practice he is not and rather sees himself as the gatekeeper. If you know him well he might sign off on NFA items but otherwise no. Same with the LTCF and the continued dance with unlawful, made up restrictions.
    Is he a native or a transplant?
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast