Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Glock grips Gen 3 VS Gen 4.

Okay people I am most likely going to be shopping around for a new EDC pistol this coming weekend. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either another M&P Shield(no safety) wife took my current Shield or the G26. My question is regarding the grip on the Gen 4 vs the 3. I currently own a bone stock G19 Gen 3 great gun for what it is plain, fairly cheap and reliable however even though I am a pretty big guy I have smallish thin hands so the Gen 3 grip is a bit thick for me. It's more of an overall comfort thing and doesn't hinder my kick ass mall ninja operating skills, but if I can not only look extremely awesome when operating in kicking ass mode all while being a bit more comfortable with my grip too why the hell not right?

Sooo I read that the Gen 4 with no added back strap condition 0 (not me that's what Glock calls it and who the hell am I or you for that matter to question them) is more on the level with a 1911 then the previous generation Glocks which would be an excellent thing if this is close to being remotely true.

So to wrap this all up do any of you other 6'3" 220lb freaks with hands the size of a 9 year old girl which possess all the daintiness of a 6' 105lb 37 year old male ballerina who smells like summers eve happen to own a Glock Gen 4 26 or 19 see a difference in the grip big enough to spend the extra cheddar(Hmmmm cheese!) on.

Thanks
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 13th, 2015 at 09:13 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Glock grips Gen 3 VS Gen 4.

The Gen4 with medium backstrap should be the same size as the Gen3. With no backstrap it should 2mm be smaller, with large backstrap it will be 2mm larger.

While not available for the 26, the Lonewolf Timberwolf frame gives you a 1911 grip angle and is quite possibly the smallest 9mm double stack frame I've ever used. Unfortunately it only works with Gen3 uppers.

(Cumberland County)

The Gen4 with medium backstrap should be the same size as the Gen3. With no backstrap it should 2mm be smaller, with large backstrap it will be 2mm larger.

While not available for the 26, the Lonewolf Timberwolf frame gives you a 1911 grip angle and is quite possibly the smallest 9mm double stack frame I've ever used. Unfortunately it only works with Gen3 uppers.

(Allegheny County)

The gen 4 is worth the extra cheese regardless or the grip size. The gen 4 is basically a gen 3 with a grip reduction, and oversize mag release job. The texture is better too. The 19 also gets the benefit of a reduction in recoil from the dual spring assembly. The 26 already has this. So no real difference there.

I have a gen 3 26 I wish was a gen 4. And a gen 4 19 and 17.

The grip is better. But its not a 1911. Part of it has to do with the texture, and some to do with the slight size reduction. Regardless the gen 4 is better. Spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The gen 4 is worth the extra cheese regardless or the grip size. The gen 4 is basically a gen 3 with a grip reduction, and oversize mag release job. The texture is better too. The 19 also gets the benefit of a reduction in recoil from the dual spring assembly. The 26 already has this. So no real difference there.

I have a gen 3 26 I wish was a gen 4. And a gen 4 19 and 17.

The grip is better. But its not a 1911. Part of it has to do with the texture, and some to do with the slight size reduction. Regardless the gen 4 is better. Spend the money.

Thanks for the help it's exactly what I was looking for.
    Rep's for both of you guy's for the information it's appreciated.

(Mercer County)

I have pixie hands, and don't like gen 3 grips, either. The gen 4 grip is vastly superior, for me.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like the Gen 4 will suit you better in terms of size. It also has more aggressive stippling for better grip on the 26's short grip.

In terms of Shield vs 26 you gotta decide if you want a superior weapon that sacrifices a bit of concealability compared to the Shield. The 26 is very easy to conceal regardless though. The shield is just super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Sounds like the Gen 4 will suit you better in terms of size. It also has more aggressive stippling for better grip on the 26's short grip.

In terms of Shield vs 26 you gotta decide if you want a superior weapon that sacrifices a bit of concealability compared to the Shield. The 26 is very easy to conceal regardless though. The shield is just super easy.
    Well I would not go as far to say the Glock is Superior other then the fact it has a higher capacity. The Shield is probably one of if not the best all around pistol I have ever shot and owned. In the last year of owning it I have put at least 1500 rounds through it of various types and quality ammunition with 0 malfunctions. Way more accurate and shootable then one would think it would be and built to last to the end. I have been around firearms a long time and have easily owned a few dozen pistols in my time of all types and price points and the Shield is on the top of my all time favorite list. If I ran into trouble and I had a shield in my holster I would not feel outgunned in most situations.

That all being said the Glock makes good sense for all the typical reasons already mentioned and mixed with the fact that's it can take any Glock 9mm magazine which I have many of and it's an easy transition to switch between that and my 19 and the 17 I hope you get in the future. Even If I go with the Glock I will still be getting another Shield in the near future it's just that good of a gun.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 14th, 2015 at 12:20 AM.

(Allegheny County)

We did an m&p vtac since it fit her hands better. This is a $700 m&p. Didn't shoot as well as the 17. Had lots of little gremlins. All of which I fixed. But after having lots of Glocks and comparing...

I plus one the Glock statement above. It is superior. (In general). Different strokes of course.

That m&p got sold and that money bought the G19G4. Not one single regret other than the money loss...

(Indiana County)

If you put a gripforce beavertail on it it'll fill up the upper half of the backstrap, essentially removing the hump at the bottom. I have one on my Gen2 and love it..makes the grip angle similar to a 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast