Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: TSA screeners find loaded handgun in man's carry-on at Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsandman View Post
    It is beacuse of people like this that I have a hard time arguing against PA having a training requirement to get a carry license.
    Neither of us went through a training requirement, yet we know the rules. It's annoying when requirements bring everyone down to the level of the lowest possible intelligence because there was an idiot somewhere who did something vaguely similar to what I want to do and really f'd it up by being an idiot.

Do you think this person who made it all the way to the TSA checkpoint, which has signs everywhere about firearms, is going to complete a 'training requirement' and somehow come out remembering the rules of carrying? They couldn't be bothered by the dozens of signs, which come in picture form in case you have trouble reading, but they're going to remember NJ's gun laws?

I hope you'll still argue against a training requirement alongside me, because it shouldn't exist to punish the majority because a small minority couldn't be bothered to take time out and learn something on their own.

(York County)

Default Re: TSA screeners find loaded handgun in man's carry-on at Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I doubt if he can get it back. If you surrender a pocket knife to TSA, it's theirs. Confiscated knives get sold on ebay. The gun will probably wind up in some cop's desk drawer.
    Pocket knives can be transferred to regular schmoe's, but I dont believe the TSA is a PA accredited law enforcement organization, nor are the employees LEO's. I don't know that they can take the firearm, that action may constitute an illegal transfer of a handgun actually! I believe this is why they always need to call the locals and the police have to arrest the guy, if they so decide. IF this is the case, his handgun remains at the Allegheny Police HQ, and should be ready for pickup upon return from the PRNJ, especially if he wasn't charged.

I'm just surprised he was allowed to go on his way, but technically, he may not have broken a state or local law, and it isn't against the law to carry in the non-secure side of an airport.

As for the federal fine, who enforces that one if you don't pay it, the IRS I wonder if the fine is akin to one you might get in a private parking lot; sort of like a bad Monty Python movie, "Stop, or I'll say stop again"!
    Last edited by Jhaydeno; December 12th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Berks County)

Where do you find these knife sales?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    I hope you'll still argue against a training requirement alongside me, because it shouldn't exist to punish the majority because a small minority couldn't be bothered to take time out and learn something on their own.
    It would only be punishing the minority because the majority are the ones who can't be bothered to learn on their own.

In conversations with people who have Pennsylvania CCL/P (Concealed Carry Licenses/Permits), I've been told
    > You have to carry concealed
    > You have to tell a cop that you are carrying
    > You can't carry in a bar
    > You can't carry in a bank
    > You can be arrested for brandishing if someone sees your gun

Plus a host of other BS.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    And he was flying to NJ. Go figure.
    I think that's the key. What PA resident can carry in NJ without going straight to prison? Answer: cops under LEOSA.

The guy with the gun was a cop, and that's why he wasn't arrested, but was "cleared to continue" his trip. That's my bet, and I'm willing to lay $20 on it. Any takers?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    It would only be punishing the minority because the majority are the ones who can't be bothered to learn on their own.

In conversations with people who have Pennsylvania CCL/P (Concealed Carry Licenses/Permits), I've been told
    > You have to carry concealed
    > You have to tell a cop that you are carrying
    > You can't carry in a bar
    > You can't carry in a bank
    > You can be arrested for brandishing if someone sees your gun

Plus a host of other BS.
    So true. I have had to walk away from Permit holders (or LTCFers for you purists) because they fully believed they were right on many of those points. UGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    I think that's the key. What PA resident can carry in NJ without going straight to prison? Answer: cops under LEOSA.

The guy with the gun was a cop, and that's why he wasn't arrested, but was "cleared to continue" his trip. That's my bet, and I'm willing to lay $20 on it. Any takers?

I'm having a hard time believing that a cop would be so foolish to try and board a plane with a loaded firearm. If he were to have made it on he plane and it was somehow discovered the plane would have been forced to land causing all kinds of panic and he would be out of a job. There are a good number of morons who wear a uniform but this would be an entirely different level.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post

I was thinking something similar. LEO or retired LEO. So no bet.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    Neither of us went through a training requirement, yet we know the rules. It's annoying when requirements bring everyone down to the level of the lowest possible intelligence because there was an idiot somewhere who did something vaguely similar to what I want to do and really f'd it up by being an idiot.

Do you think this person who made it all the way to the TSA checkpoint, which has signs everywhere about firearms, is going to complete a 'training requirement' and somehow come out remembering the rules of carrying? They couldn't be bothered by the dozens of signs, which come in picture form in case you have trouble reading, but they're going to remember NJ's gun laws?

Well there's all that. And then there's the even more important reason that a fundamental civil right should never be preconditioned on completing a "training class". Imagine if we had to complete a state-mandated training class before going to church (or declining to), or writing comments on the internet, or exercising our fifth amendment right to remain silent.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I'm having a hard time believing that a cop would be so foolish to try and board a plane with a loaded firearm.
    Like many of us here, a cop who carries off-duty, consistently, is liable to forget about it. It's like your wallet or watch. I can't say I've "almost" done it, but I've gotten to the airport, started toward the checkpoint, and suddenly remembered that I need to disarm and case my gun first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast