Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pistol problems everywhere

I've been spending a little time on 'Glock Talk' to get familiar with my new Glocks (I'm 1911toGLOCK, there, hehehe) a little quicker. It looks like Glocks have their share of problems, too. This doesn't matter to me and that's not the point of the thread. I'm still buying a few more Glocks even after reading all the hate posts.......from Glock owners. The point is even the big dogs have their share of problems. Does that make Glock a POS pistol?

Every once in a while, I still see the 'friends wouldn't let friends buy Taurus' or some dumb shit like that. Taurus is putting out some good guns, right now. I know that the few I have left are great guns that have never once had a failure of any kind and my PT 1911's that I've used hard, in the past, have also been 100%, even with taking some of the parts out of warranty. Looking at some other polymers on other sites show they have their share of problems, as well.

If I was a hater, I could do the 'friends don't let friends buy Glocks', or 'friends don't let friends buy HK' (yes, them too) or SA, or S&W, or whatever. I guess my point is they all have problems once in a while. They are man made. They use machines to build them....that are man made. Stuff will break on anything. I just wanted to throw that out there before I sold my last Taurus pistol. I've been using them for over 10 years now and have been completely happy with them. If I could have gotten my hands on a couple OSS DS .45's, I may not have made the switch to Glock, but I have peace of mind that I'm still with a great gun that will handle SHTF. I actually feel better having the Glocks for that over the Taurus, but I still enjoyed the Taurus models I owned (except one OSS DS 9mm wouldn't group as tight as I thought it should have).

OH yea....YMMV.

eta - Oh yea, again...I did my first 25 cent trigger job on one of my Glocks, yesterday. Made a big difference, to the good. I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by harold63; December 8th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Pistol problems everywhere

I hear ya. Twenty plus years of 1911s and then started buying Glocks. I was fortunate that I had zero problems with grip angle, acquiring high on target or throwing up with trigger concerns. In all my years I haven't experienced malfunctions such as fail to eject or feed more than a handful of times.

(Columbia County)

All gun manufacturers are capable of releasing a bad gun on occasion. Some will even release a gun that fails right out of the starting gate such as the disastrous Remington r51. The problem with Taurus is that they have a reputation for making inferior guns more often than other companies. All one has to do is to make a web search for Taurus firearms and junk and one will quickly find that there are a lot of people who believe that the quality of a Taurus firearm sucks. If anyone has a Taurus firearm that works well for them; good for them, but I would not trust that brand. Taurus needs to do more to improve their reputation in the gun industry.

(Cumberland County)

Taurus does have a bad rep, much of it deserved. I have several Taurus revolvers and have been happy with them. I purchased one semi - PT145 and it was a piece of garbage. I bought it despite being told Taurus was junk, learned my lesson. I do hear good things about their Beretta 92 knock offs seeing they purchased the Beretta plant and basically produced exact duplicates. I have also heard mainly good about their 1911's. Most issues come with their striker fired semi's from what I can see. For me, I stay away from Taurus semi's, Kel-Tecs, and of course, the really low Jimenez and Jennings types - not going to bet my life on those.............
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    PT145 and it was a piece of garbage.
    They definitely got their share of bad reviews with the short barrel PT polymers, but it this isn't about how good I think Taurus is. It's more about how they aren't the only ones that make a crap gun on occasion. I know the history of their crap guns, well, as I've owned more of my share of plastic Tauruses, but I always stayed away from the 'crap' ones, specific. Seems like the PT 111, 140, and the 145 got hit the hardest and really fucked their name up, + they are built in Brazil. Not everyone likes that too much. At any rate, I feel a better with Glock striker guns, but I wouldn't discount the new Tauruses, totally.

I remember the PT 24/7 Pro when it came out and won those awards. It held the world record for some kind of speed contest (don't feel like looking it up) and was recorded as shooting over 10,000 rds in a weekend with no malfunctions. I still got two of those and will prolly make them the very last ones I sell...........if I actually do sell them. I've never shot a pistol that felt as good as they do at speed. Not the G17, G34...not even the P30.

(Berks County)

For me, I stay away from Taurus semi's, Kel-Tecs, and of course, the really low Jimenez and Jennings types - not going to bet my life on those.............
    Kel-Tec is an innovator. I like to call them Ruger's R&D Department. The flashing isnt cleaned up well and the finish is not refined but they work and are good for what they are. You left off Hi-Point, they are the same in the finish as Kel-Tec. They also have shown me reliability. Jimenez and Jennings are junk. Every manufacturer puts out a bad product now and then. its when the design is crap and still they make it that the name suffers, and it should. Remington and my R51 comes to mind. No fix in sight. Zero communication. Like my gun went into a black hole.

(Blair County)

Taurus does have a bad rep, much of it deserved. I have several Taurus revolvers and have been happy with them. I purchased one semi - PT145 and it was a piece of garbage. I bought it despite being told Taurus was junk, learned my lesson. I do hear good things about their Beretta 92 knock offs seeing they purchased the Beretta plant and basically produced exact duplicates. I have also heard mainly good about their 1911's. Most issues come with their striker fired semi's from what I can see. For me, I stay away from Taurus semi's, Kel-Tecs, and of course, the really low Jimenez and Jennings types - not going to bet my life on those.............
    Thats my only gripe with my 92 is the location of the safety. Taurus fixed that problem but I think I'll stick with the beretta this time

(Lancaster County)

I want a Glock 41 so much my parts hurt. Just sayin' 😄

Handguns are like cars - they're all good when they run and all junk when they don't.

Regardless of brand pick one you have confidence in and spend any leftover money on a good holster, ammo or componets.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Taurus fixed that problem but I think I'll stick with the beretta this time
    PT 92 was the very first Taurus we bought. $419 back in 05 or 06. I even made one of the accurizer things for the muzzle (my own design made from molten milk jug material, but copied the idea from Beretta). It was a great handgun. Sold it for $450 last year. I don't know how much we shot it. I lost track.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast