Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Wildlife in the city

I live in Wilkes-Barre, not downtown WB, but on the outskirts.....anyway we have a bird feeder in our yard for the smaller birds (I hate pigeons) and today my wife and I had a Cooper's Hawk sitting on our backyard fence.

Then, less than 1/2 hour later while driving over the Cross Valley to go to Luzerne we saw a mature bald eagle flying around the river.

Didn't have my camera with me, but nice glimpes of wildlife in an urban enviroment.

The Cooper's Hawk has been seen in my yard before and explains the finding of what looked like an exploded pigeon in my yard last year!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Wildlife in the city

Yeah, I live in the city of Pittsburgh. A few times a year I see deer in the backyard and very frequently see deer tracks passing through. Squirrel, rabbits and turkey abound as well. A Redtail Hawk set up housing keeping in locust tree in my neighbors yard last year.

(Philadelphia County)

You guys are lucky, I live in South Philla, and over here we get a different kind of wildlife. For example, we get the North American Spotted Homeless Guy, known for its bad demeanor and defensive measures in the from of bad smell. You can also spot some Bald Crackheads when the season is right.

All jokes aside, I've seen a few bald eagles on the R6 Train going towards Conshohocken.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

The Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh is home to a family of peregrine falcons as part of a Western PA Conservancy recovery project. For those of you who don't know Pitt, this building is quite tall, and surrounded by a large lawn. Twice I've been lucky enough to see the falcon shoot out of nowhere and snatch a squirrel snack off the lawn...flippin' sweet. A couple of years ago the mother falcon left one of the young on the lawn while teaching her brood?? to fly. It wouldn't fly away, so it got a armed bodyguard perimeter of police officers until it decided to finally fly away.

(Tioga County)

Some years ago they imported peregrine falcons into downtown LA. The purpose was two fold, breed falcons and help control the pidgon population. Some people were somewhat startled to suddenly be showered with pidgon feathers. Some people whined and wanted the falcons removed. Alas laws were in effect that didn't allow anyone to disturb falcon nests. The office workers that had nests outside their windows were for the most part enjoying the activities.

(Allegheny County)

A big flock of Turkeys hang out behind CMU (Pittsburgh) in Panther Hollow (no, not the students).

Those turkeys are mean SOBs

(Luzerne County)

There is a golf course near where I live and when walking our dog there I would frequently see deer tracks in and around the area. There also used to be a rather large flock of turkeys there as well, but apparently several years ago goofs killed them all.

Many moons ago, I used to live over by General Hospital and would fish the river near the Cross Valley. You wouldn't believe the amount of deer tracks that were down there.

Now I work in a community on the west side and we get deer walking right past our borough building. Last year I saw a rather nice sized buck out back. Think I might have to take my hunting license to work with me!!

(Delaware County)

I lived in Philly(Overbrook) and when they started constuction of the blue route we had all kinds of deer running in the streets and taking up residence in our local park. I used to listen to the old Goombas talk about how they were getting deer in their gardens and shooting them in the a$$ with bb guns to scare them away. There was also rumor of the Game commission tranquilizing and relocating many of them. As a hunter it was fun to watch them eating on the golf course and at the grass surrounding the pitchers mound at the park.

Now since I've moved out to the "burbs" It is not uncommon to see all types of birds of prey,foxes,racoons,opossums and the occasional deer sprinting down my street.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Cambria County)

We regularly have all manner of wildlife either just behind our yard or IN it. Besides the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks, we also have rabbits, fox, possums, skunks, groundhogs, deer, raccoons, and the occasional bear (like the one that made off with my suet feeder last week, after being on my next door neighbor's back porch and checking out their swimming pool. They also like to get into the neighbors' trash (which is why I keep my trash can in the garage, except when I put it out for pickup). There is also a pair of red-tailed hawks that set up housekeeping on the hill behind us, and have been raising their broods there for several years now. I've also been nearly run down by deer on campus at UPJ when taking summer classes. (they tend to stay away during the regular school year...too many people on campus then.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast