Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Scope or Red Dot for AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    To bring this back on topic again, I'll quote the newest question once again...

I'll try and be good and watch what people have to say and try to learn something. I'm not much of a scope guy and have no interest or need to shoot at anything more than 200 yards away, but with my eyes these days, I wouldn't be opposed to some magnification - so long as it could also be used up close - really close.

As for red dots, I'm all ears for personal experience with any of the $150-ish red dots.
    Holosun, Vortex, ATIBAL, SIG ROMEO...
    A 1x4 or 1x6 are great and work great up really really close as well.

As for RDS in the 150.00 range, i have no personal experience. If you're not wanting to break the bank and want a very good RDS, I'd recommend the Aimpoint PRO. They can had on sale at times in the 365.00 range.

Also digging my new Trijicon MRO, great FOV with this one.

(Allegheny County)

This is my version of a "special purpose" rifle. LOL
    I wanted ONE rifle that was equipped with a scope - and not one for shooting at long ranges.
    Picked this cheapo scope to try.

NCStar 3-9x42 Illuminated SEECR3942R

I'll be honest - I don't really know at what distance the 3-9 power magnification shines, but it seems that it should be what I wanted - just something with a little magnification.
    I have yet to sight it in. I should do that since I'm not working and the weather is in the 60s this week.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

I too love the MRO probably my favorite dot. Out of the cheaper dots the strike ar from vortex is pretty good. For those of you who have an astigmatism try a prism like the vortex spitfire. I suffer from one as well and the prism is the way to go for that. If I had my way I'd put mros on everything right now. Wouldn't mind a t1 or t2 but the trijicon is performance to dollar ratio a great buy.

(Lackawanna County)

Aimpoint also has the aco as well. Bit cheaper than the pro if I remember right.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    A 1x4 or 1x6 are great and work great up really really close as well.

As for RDS in the 150.00 range, i have no personal experience. If you're not wanting to break the bank and want a very good RDS, I'd recommend the Aimpoint PRO. They can had on sale at times in the 365.00 range.

Also digging my new Trijicon MRO, great FOV with this one.
    I would take a holoson or primary arms advanced micro red dot over an aimpoint pro. I'm a big aimpoint nut swinger at that. I have put the PA Advanced micro on two different rifles..... And one of those rifles, it replaced an aimpoint pro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I would take a holoson or primary arms advanced micro red dot over an aimpoint pro. I'm a big aimpoint nut swinger at that. I have put the PA Advanced micro on two different rifles..... And one of those rifles, it replaced an aimpoint pro.
    To each his own but there is no way I'd replace an Aimpoint with those, but that's me.

The PRO is the cheapest I'd go, I regret selling my Aimpoint M4. I will eventually pick another one up.

(Allegheny County)

This is my version of a "special purpose" rifle. LOL
    I wanted ONE rifle that was equipped with a scope - and not one for shooting at long ranges.
    Picked this cheapo scope to try.

NCStar 3-9x42 Illuminated SEECR3942R

I'll be honest - I don't really know at what distance the 3-9 power magnification shines, but it seems that it should be what I wanted - just something with a little magnification.
    I have yet to sight it in. I should do that since I'm not working and the weather is in the 60s this week.

Lots of decent 1x4 scopes on the market that don't break the bank, they are definately more practical on a AR if it's a defensive type carbine. Hits are easily made from 5 to 300yds with them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post

Do you know if that primary arms advanced micro red dot is the same unit as the Sig Sauer Romeo 5?
    Clearly Sig doesn't make their own red dots, so someone else makes it. link
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    To each his own but there is no way I'd replace an Aimpoint with those, but that's me.

The PRO is the cheapest I'd go, I regret selling my Aimpoint M4. I will eventually pick another one up.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but I will say that I said the EXACT same thing before. I tried using a Lucid HD7, and I said "ok... only aimpoint and eotech". then after a few eotechs, it has become "Just Aimpoints"

Then the PA advanced micro red dot came out, I figured screw it... I need an optic for an SBR that I had just put together with parts laying around. It was working fine, and then Rob Ski came out with a video of torture testing one. He beat the crap out of it, enough to break the glass, and it, and I quote, "still fucking holds zero!" I've never known Rob Ski to be a biased reviewer of products, unlike much of the other Youtube channels. I'm not saying his opinion is gospel, but in my book, it holds some merit.

Obviously my better rifles still and always will get h-1, t-1, or t-2s. But I wouldn't even use the term "cheap" for the PA AMRD or Holosun red dots.

Do you know if that primary arms advanced micro red dot is the same unit as the Sig Sauer Romeo 5?
    Clearly Sig doesn't make their own red dots, so someone else makes it. link
    They aren't the exact same. the romeo is not compatible with micro bases, the PA AMRD is. battery compartments are different, reticle is different, etc.

BUT!

It's a very strong probability that Holosun makes the Romeo. Holosun makes the Primary Arms red dots. Primary Arms just sends them their specifications and Holosun pumps them out with Primary Arms written on the side. It wouldn't surprise me if Sig did the same.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789