Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Scope or Red Dot for AR?

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Im picking up a new AR tomorrow. Im having trouble deciding what to put on it for optics. Should I go for a 1-4x Scope or a red dot? My budget for right now is $1-$150. Id like to spend more but that is the budget for now. Any suggestions which to go with and why?

PS - the reason for optics over iron sights is bad eyes.
    Bushnell fan here. I have this scope, it used to be on an STG-556. Ran wonderfully, and it still has the original batteries. The scope is a few years old now, still strong. I've tried it on my AR, and it did the job nicely. I have an EOTech now, though, so the scope just collects dust. IM me if you're interested in it, I'd let it go for less than it's worth new.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Bushnell fan here. I have this scope, it used to be on an STG-556. Ran wonderfully, and it still has the original batteries. The scope is a few years old now, still strong. I've tried it on my AR, and it did the job nicely. I have an EOTech now, though, so the scope just collects dust. IM me if you're interested in it, I'd let it go for less than it's worth new.
    I had that on my first AR years ago. I loved the look of it. My main thing is this AR I want to set up with the best that I can afford. Im not going to set it up for looks. Although I liked that red dot it doesnt fit my "vision". I want something durable , long battery life , something I can leave on and its ready when I grab it * ( auto on ). Im not going to put lights and lasers on it. I just want a good goto rifle with a good goto sight.

Other than a very expensive ACOG or AIM.
    Last edited by KatesDad; December 8th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

(Bucks County)

Astigmatism does create multiple images of things like dots and front sight blades. Red is the worst. But there's a trick to overcoming it. Wear corrective lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Astigmatism does create multiple images of things like dots and front sight blades. Red is the worst. But there's a trick to overcoming it. Wear corrective lenses.
    I do have a astigmatism as well as early stages of glaucoma.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Anyone have any experience with a Holosun?

http://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-Infini...ywords=holosun

50000 hour battery life !
    Your looking for ultra reliability and very high end features out of a cheaper platform for home defense and expecting them yo work. You cant put both of those in the same category if your looking for a range toy then there have been some very good options listed if your looking for something to bet your life on then with the longest amount of battery life possible then pony up for an Aimpoint. My 2nd choice would be the Vortex Strike Fire 2 at it's lowest setting it has 6000 hours of battery life so if you use it at medium then you are looking at around 2k hours and coming in with a mount at $165.00 or less.

I personally do not understand whats the big deal with having to leave the dot on all the time. It's a nice feature to have if you forget to shut it off but I wouldn't leave it on either way. If you run a red dot train to operate that red dot and manipulate the rifle with it wither way.

My last option which I think is the best for a budget would be to get an illuminated FSP for your AR and co witness it with a Vortex either way you have an illuminated dot when you look through the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Your looking for ultra reliability and very high end features out of a cheaper platform for home defense and expecting them yo work. You cant put both of those in the same category if your looking for a range toy then there have been some very good options listed if your looking for something to bet your life on then with the longest amount of battery life possible then pony up for an Aimpoint. My 2nd choice would be the Vortex Strike Fire 2 at it's lowest setting it has 6000 hours of battery life so if you use it at medium then you are looking at around 2k hours and coming in with a mount at $165.00 or less.

I personally do not understand whats the big deal with having to leave the dot on all the time. It's a nice feature to have if you forget to shut it off but I wouldn't leave it on either way. If you run a red dot train to operate that red dot and manipulate the rifle with it wither way.

My last option which I think is the best for a budget would be to get an illuminated FSP for your AR and co witness it with a Vortex either way you have an illuminated dot when you look through the glass.
    The point is to find the best optic out there for the budget I have. I have a S&W M&P 15, obviously it is not a high end AR. It is the best I can afford right this moment ( and for awhile ). That said , there is no chance of affording a high end optic for it. So , the alternative is to find the best that I can afford.
    The reason for leaving it on all the time is two fold. One , I forget to turn stuff off all the time. i dont want to go grab the rifle for self defense or range play and have a dead battery. Second , I want to be able to grab the rifle for self defense or my better half be able to grab the rifle and its ready to go.

That said , there is no chance of affording a high end optic for it. So , the alternative is to find the best that I can afford.
    I understand this part of it but the best you can afford isn't going to give you everything you want epically the endless battery life. I live on a budget too so I understand what you are saying. The most important thing too me is reliability hands down 50k hours of battery life sounds great but if it doesn't work or stay zeroed under recoil then it's worthless.

When looking for these types of things in a budget we have to make trade offs and compromises. I haven't come across a durable reliable red dot with thousands and thousands of hours of batter life or stand by time under $200.00 if there is one out there I hope we both find it.

I took a look at what Primary arms offers from their own product line which is the brand I would look at for any budget optic they are quickly growing a good reputation for quality and durability for a budget minded buyer.

They have others that boast 50k hours however they have an 8 hour shut off if left on these 2 don't appear to have an auto shut off feature. If your going to take a chance I would take it on PA before any other entry level brand. They are a great site and very easy to work with. The dot in the 1st link below has a 3 year warranty.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...s_p/md-ads.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_.../pa-aamrg3.htm

(Allegheny County)

+1 on the Vortex Strike Fire II (not I). If you are truly trying to compensate for not being able to use irons due to not being abel to focus on the front sight, then this RDS will serve you well. Keep the brightness setting low and green to help eliminate the star burst effect if that bothers you.

Do you have a fixed front site? If so, anything less than a 4X will have the front sight visible and blocking some of your view. If that's not an issue for you, then the Strike Fire II would be (IMHO) the best choice in your application and price range.

If you want to reach out further and\or be more accurate, then buy a good 1-4X scope. It's going to set you back about 3 times as much, but you'll buy once. I'm a big fan of the Vortex PST 1: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...q-mrad-reticle
    Toujours prêt

(Lawrence County)

I wouldn't hesitate to look at offerings from Primary Arms. It's not an Aimpoint, but it'll suit your needs well and come in at or under budget depending on what you get. They have a AA powered red dot that has 10,000 hours of battery life on medium setting.

If you opt for their advanced series microdot, you'll get 50,000 hours of battery life and a pretty tough optic. They worked with Holosun to create that particular model. Note, you will need to pick up a riser for it. Take a look at the last video they have on the product page to get an idea.

Holosun is pretty good, and has some great battery life and a good warranty. They tend to be above the budget you gave though. Same with Vortex. All good stuff for a budget though.

If you want a scope, I'd recommend a Primary Arms 1-4x or 1-6x. Good glass, good optic.

Aimpoint makes some great stuff that's durable as hell and has some insane battery life, but they're priced at double what you're trying to keep it at. Even their PRO series, which can be found for $350-ish. Fantastic stuff, but not really necessary for most people.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast