Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Scope or Red Dot for AR?

Battery life for the Sparc II is approx 300hours. It comes with spacers for the mount for absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness.
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/new-vortex-sparc-ii/

The Aimpoints have the longest battery life, as much as 10s of thousands of hours on time with one battery.
    Last edited by dkf; December 7th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

I wish I could afford a Aimpoint , but that isnt going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    I realize you have a budget & beleive me, I've been there. I've learned over the years not to buy cheap glass, because somewhere down the road you'll wish you hadn't. I'd hold off on an optic until you can afford an Aimpoint. You can sometimes find them in the classifieds here.

As Larry Vickers used to say, "If you're using anything other than an Aimpoint, you need to take a piss test."
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I realize you have a budget & beleive me, I've been there. I've learned over the years not to buy cheap glass, because somewhere down the road you'll wish you hadn't. I'd hold off on an optic until you can afford an Aimpoint. You can sometimes find them in the classifieds here.

As Larry Vickers used to say, "If you're using anything other than an Aimpoint, you need to take a piss test."
    Im with you on buying cheap glass, it just doesn't pay...

Despite that, Ive read the PA red dots have a very good reputation and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I was on a budget for a RDS.

(Delaware County)

I put an inexpensive red dot gizmo on my AR, just a simple red dot, no cross-hairs or the like, and I didn't like it, never got good with it, seems I wasn't able to mount the gun exactly the same each time I shot so the dot would always be a little off with no hairs to guide me.

I ended up getting a decent inexpensive scope and love it, hit what I'm aiming at every time.

Get whichever fits your budget, but if you go for the red dot make sure it's the cross-hairs version.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post

Since your undecided on a scope or a red dot why not a x3 power fixed illuminated prism optic? If you want a high quality fixed optic for half the price check out the Burris 332 x3 prism optic. It's the best of both worlds it can be used with both eyes open for closer quarters and has an etched prism so if the battery fails in the light you still have the reticle.

I purchased this last week got it Monday and it's already becoming one of my favorite optics. I have to upcoming builds and this will work for both set up's so I ordered another on Friday. Here is some information I put up the other day on another post regarding it and where to purchase.

Even though they are no longer advertising the $110.00 instant discount on the Burris 332 x3 ACOG type scope it works in your cart. If any one out there has been on the fence about budget optics or is looking for a higher end budget optic for a lower end budget optic price then I dont think you are gonna do much better plus get a life time no questions asked warranty.

I received mine Monday and I will say that I am VERY VERY impressed with the quality of this optic from the body, etched prism, Illumination, and the clarity of the glass. Due to the weather and work I have not had time to properly mount it but will do so Saturday and hope to get out in the yard and put it to test.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_A...p/bu300208.htm
    Instant discount $110.00 : BURRIS
    Factory Mail in Rebate: $100.00
    Total shipped: $146.00

Another option is the Bushnell TRS-25 it's an excellent highly durable red dot that will easily handle up to .308 with no troubles. There are ton's of youtube reviews and I have put at least 700 rounds through an AK with one of them mounted they can be found on sales around $75.00 average online. With modern manufacturing and the influx of manufactures in the gun world getting a good optic for a good price is very doable now. Some guy's still want to spend top dollar for casual shooting and that's great but it doesn't mean you have too to get the same reliability or experience.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3x0iqt2y8c_b

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/bushnell-trs--25

(Allegheny County)

1x4 scope if you plan to shoot any kind of groups. The Vortex spark 2 is a good red dot but if you have bad eyesight you may be disappointed in your accuracy without magnification. If you are just looking to hit mansize targets to 200 the red dot will be fine.
    Last edited by bman1187; December 7th, 2014 at 08:03 PM.

(Franklin County)

Do you just have poor eyesight or do you have an astigmatism also? If you have an astigmatism a RDS will look more like a cluster of dots instead of a single point. So I've heard, I don't have this issue so I can't verify.
    A zero mag RDS is good to 200 plus a few no problem. Hitting the target, not really grouping. If you want good groups 100+, go with magnification.

Anyone have any experience with a Holosun?

http://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-Infini...ywords=holosun

50000 hour battery life !

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast