Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR Building, Accurizing, Tips & Tricks

Suppressed SBRs are an area where the piston system shines...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I have the BCM as well with the raised portion but I was still getting some decent gassing (11.5" barrel).

There is also a replacement for the forward assist that is supposed to be a gas vent of sorts. Doesn't seem to be very effective on my friend's suppressed SBR though. He literally looks like he's wearing some black face paint on the right side of his face after a few hundred shots.
    I saw that. I was thinking about putting one in my AR10 being that my BCG doesn't have the cuts for it, and being that I'll be using a suppressor most of the time. I may give it a shot. I want to see how it is first. Hopefully I have it up in and running within a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

I like to think the black mark on my face is just there to remind everyone how cool I am cause I have a suppressor.

(Chester County)

I was about to post a question on the firearms section about AR15 cleaning, then searched the site and found this sticky. I didn't see anything here about cleaning AR's (perhaps there is), but I later found another poofa thread very helpful.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/173...-a-page-3.html

I'm a noob to the AR platform. Shot 200 rnds of cheap ammo in the past few weeks and didn't go to clean it until today. Just tried to push a .22 brush down the barrel and I couldn't push it 1inch in the barrel. Not wanting to make a bad situation worse, I stopped. My cleaning kit has all the brushes, etc. needed to clean my other firearms but, cleaning the AR seems a bit different (or i'm simply not doing it correctly). The above thread was helpful for me. Maybe others too.

Patiently awaiting the public stoning
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

(Lackawanna County)

Has anyone heard of any of the stuff in this thread I found on ARFCOM?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/42...d_or_AR10.html
    neckbeard extrordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I like to think the black mark on my face is just there to remind everyone how cool I am cause I have a suppressor.
    Get a Gasbuster?

(Allegheny County)

First I'd like to point out the stupidity of "stickies" as this thread which was "so necessary to keep all the AR discussion in one place" hasn't been active in ELEVEN MONTHS. Nobody looks at stickies.

Anyway, I haz a question about stock mounting options...

How important is the brand/quality of buffer tube (6 position), buffer, spring, and whatever else goes with it? (a nut and an end plate I believe?)

I have a build that essentially just needs a charging handle and the means to mount a stock.
    Prices range from dirt cheap at around $30 to well over $100, so what should I be looking for?
    I've been trying not to spend money if I don't have to since money is tight, and I've even sold a few guns for the needed money, so I don't have the luxury of buying "operator grade" parts, but I've had this "almost rifle" for nearly two years now and I'm thinking I may not go to hell for spending a few dollars to complete this rifle.

I was looking at the Spikes with the weighted buffer. I don't really know how much better that makes it to shoot, but my brief reading on it makes it sound desirable. Yes? No? Probably overkill and money I don't need to spend?
    BCM seems to be priced a bit lower and other than that, all I see in the ones priced lower than that are "generic" kits.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'll probably get a BCM Gunfighter charging handle even though I could get a generic one for $15. Charging handles always feel cheesy/weak to me, so I like the idea of a stronger part there.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    First I'd like to point out the stupidity of "stickies" as this thread which was "so necessary to keep all the AR discussion in one place" hasn't been active in ELEVEN MONTHS. Nobody looks at stickies.

How important is the brand/quality of buffer tube (6 position), buffer, spring, and whatever else goes with it? (a nut and an end plate I believe?)

I have a build that essentially just needs a charging handle and the means to mount a stock.
    Prices range from dirt cheap at around $30 to well over $100, so what should I be looking for?
    I've been trying not to spend money if I don't have to since money is tight, and I've even sold a few guns for the needed money, so I don't have the luxury of buying "operator grade" parts, but I've had this "almost rifle" for nearly two years now and I'm thinking I may not go to hell for spending a few dollars to complete this rifle.

I was looking at the Spikes with the weighted buffer. I don't really know how much better that makes it to shoot, but my brief reading on it makes it sound desirable. Yes? No? Probably overkill and money I don't need to spend?
    BCM seems to be priced a bit lower and other than that, all I see in the ones priced lower than that are "generic" kits.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'll probably get a BCM Gunfighter charging handle even though I could get a generic one for $15. Charging handles always feel cheesy/weak to me, so I like the idea of a stronger part there.
    You won't go wrong with BCM. All of the buffers are weighted, they have different weights depending on rifle configuration.

As for the sticky, I send newbs here with questions. If I see a thread that has something new, I throw it in the first post so folks can find it. That was the benefit, one stop link to AR threads without the searching.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...=buffer+weight Added to the sticky. Not a lot of info.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; November 10th, 2015 at 04:47 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

Any suggestions?

I'm no expert compared to some on the forum, but my experience is the actual tubes aren't much different, it's the spring and weights that really enhance the gun. I've had a few cheap weights that didn't hold up, I've had weights I've disassembled and added rubber to quiet them down and 'buffer the buffer', and most importantly, I've found that uncoated springs make a heck of a lot of noise! Some uncoated springs just have a raspy sound that drives me nuts, but I've found that higher quality springs coated with a thin layer of plastic, like the DPMS sold by Midway, make a huge difference to my ears.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Butler County)

Any suggestions?

So, a couple of things:

Make sure you get a buffer tube which is "mil-spec" and 7075 aluminum (not 6061). You can order one with your buffer weight of choice from the good folks at ALG Defense. These don't suck.

You will need a castle nut and end plate. I'd get a plate with various sling attachment points, particularly if you ever fancy yourself tactical enough to run a single point sling.

On the buffer weight itself: it largely depends upon the build you are completing. Barrel length, gas system, etc. If it's in the 14.7" to 16" range, I'd say get yourself an H buffer (to be sure) or an H2 (which will probably shoot better, but it depends upon your build). Generally speaking, you want the heaviest buffer which will reliably cycle the rifle with the ammo you want to shoot.

For instance, I have a Colt 6720 (16" barrel, carbine length gas system). That gets an H buffer (some helpful schmo will be along shortly to tell me to run an H2 in it. But it gets stupid with underpowered blasting ammo (looking at you PMC and Wolf Gold now and then), so H it is. My range favorite is an LWRC M6 (piston gun) which has a midlength gas system but came with an H2 buffer and will happily run on an H3.

So, unless you are building something rifle length, I'd say get an "H" buffer, but that's a swag. People who know better will come along and ask you about gas port measurements in short order....

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast