Default Re: AR Building, Accurizing, Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Bullet Weight Twist
    40-Grain 1:12
    55-Grain 1:9
    62-Grain 1:8 or 1:7
    77-Grain 1:7 or 1:8
    80-Grain 1:7

1:8 is the go to barrel for the most versatility. If you're building for supreme accuracy, look for a barrel that is best for your chosen bullet grain.
    Is that ratio twist:inches?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Is that ratio twist:inches?
    Yes.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Thanks UJ. Very helpful.

I'll check out ammo before I decide on barrel then. 1:8 sounds like about where I want to be though.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Question regarding ammo.

I have almost completed my first build, and want to do some bench shooting to acquaint myself to it, and to see what it likes to be fed. I'd like to try a few different kinds of ammo for it, and was wondering what I different manufacturers/grain bullet and types.

Obviously I'll be testing out standard 5.56x45, just to make sure it feeds well. May get a box of steel cased, as well, just because.

Just looking for suggestions.

I have a .223 Wylde, 1:8-5r barrel.

Thanks,
    Bilky
    Last edited by Bilky; March 24th, 2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added what barrel is chambered in

(Bucks County)

Are AR10 and AR15 stocks interchangeable? Do the buffers have the same outside diameter?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilky View Post
    Question regarding ammo.

I have almost completed my first build, and want to do some bench shooting to acquaint myself to it, and to see what it likes to be fed. I'd like to try a few different kinds of ammo for it, and was wondering what I different manufacturers/grain bullet and types.

Obviously I'll be testing out standard 5.56x45, just to make sure it feeds well. May get a box of steel cased, as well, just because.

Thanks,
    Bilky
    Look for the better brands, look for stuff labeled match ammo. It's more expensive but if you really want a feel for what your rifle is capable of, get some. Get grain weights in the high 50s and through the 60s. Try some 77 grain but the twist may not be enough to maximize accuracy in that weight.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Are AR10 and AR15 stocks interchangeable? Do the buffers have the same outside diameter?
    https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/wh...een-ar15-ar10/
    Parts that are typically compatible between the AR-15 and AR-10
    Buttstock assemblies
    Triggers and trigger springs
    Bolt catch roll pin (Armalite Style only)
    Hammers and hammer springs
    Pistol grips (a spacer may be needed for certain models)
    Receiver extension (Buffer Tube)
    Disconnector and disconnector spring
    Buffer detent
    Magazine release buttons and springs
    Safety selectors

Parts that are typically not compatible between the AR-15 and AR-10:
    Rifle Buffers: Most rifle buffers on the AR-10 are shorter and heavier than the AR-15 to accommodate the longer .308 bolt carrier group and the force from a larger round. This means they cannot be interchanged. However, the buffer tubes are the same length, making them compatible with either rifle. It should be noted that the buffer tube for the Armalite style AR-10 collapsible stock carbine features a unique length and only works with this model.
    Barrels: Because the AR-10 and AR-15 are chambered in two different calibers, the barrels are not interchangeable. The barrels threads and barrel nut extensions are also not interchangeable.
    Handguards and rail systems: Because of the barrel nut size difference between the AR-10 and AR-15, the handguards and rail systems are not interchangeable.
    Bolt catch: An AR-15 bolt catch is not compatible with most AR-10 lowers.
    Lower parts kit: A standard lower parts kit for an AR-15 will normally not work with an AR-10. This is due to the differences in the takedown pin, bolt catch and other lower receiver pins.
    Magazine catch: The magazine catch in the AR-10 features a unique design that makes it incompatible with the AR-15 or any other AR model.
    Muzzle device: Since AR-10 and AR-15 are chambered in different calibers, most muzzle devices are not interchangeable, except if your AR-15 is chambered in 300 Blackout, then you might be able to use AR-10 muzzle devices.

Question regarding ammo.

Thanks,
    Bilky
    For plinking with good accuracy Wolf Gold is excellent and very affordable for brass ammunition. The last time I checked it was being made in Taiwan by PMC and not in EU. For now you can still find it for under $300.00 a case shipped.
    Last edited by Hodgie; March 24th, 2018 at 06:59 PM.

(Erie County)

Question regarding ammo.

Thanks,
    Bilky
    Good thread to read; http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...t-1065973.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Just ordered my first 80%lower and jig.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast