Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Meeting a turkey on Turkey day.

My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house. We were among six guests. The guys huddled in front of the TV watching the Eagles v. Cowboys game before dinner. While we watched one guy, who I never met before, announced that he bought a handgun earlier in the week. Being a handgun owner, I was interested in his choice, reasons, experience, and training. As best I can reconstruct it, here is how the dialogue went.

Fellow: I bought a gun this week because all this terrorism stuff is scaring me.

Me: What did you buy?

Fellow: I bought a Glock. The dealer told me that Glock was the best choice because police use Glocks.

Me: What model Glock did you buy?

Fellow: I bought the one the dealer recommended.

Me: So you don’t know what you bought?

Fellow: I know it is a Glock.

Me: Have you ever fired a pistol before?

Fellow: No, but you just have to aim it and pull the trigger. I can do that.

Me: have you had any training in firearms?

Fellow: No.

Me: So you have a gun that you know nothing about, and you have no idea how to care for it and use it.

Fellow: So what? I can point it and shoot if I have to.

Me: Have you ever been shot at before?

Fellow: Of course not. Look, I bought a gun to protect my family and me. It is not rocket science. If the average soldier can shoot a gun, so can I.

(Now I am totally pissed off)

Me: OK, you have a gun and you can shoot it. You know nothing about the gun. You have never fired it. You have no training in how to use it. You have never shot at a target let alone a person. You are a disaster waiting to happen. If you have the gun on your person, tell me because I would prefer to be somewhere else.

Fellow: You are really obnoxious!

Me: Not obnoxious yet, but I am about to get there. A perp breaks into your house. He has a gun. You have a gun. He points his gun at you. You have no training, do not know the characteristics of your gun, and have not fired it. My guess is that you crap in your pants and, if you are lucky, you do not get fatally shot. A gun is no better than a brick in the hands of a person who has no idea how to use the gun.

Dinner was great, and the Fellow was down the other end of the table.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Meeting a turkey on Turkey day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house. We were among six guests. The guys huddled in front of the TV watching the Eagles v. Cowboys game before dinner. While we watched one guy, who I never met before, announced that he bought a handgun earlier in the week. Being a handgun owner, I was interested in his choice, reasons, experience, and training. As best I can reconstruct it, here is how the dialogue went.

Fellow: I bought a gun this week because all this terrorism stuff is scaring me.

Me: What did you buy?

Fellow: I bought a Glock. The dealer told me that Glock was the best choice because police use Glocks.

Me: What model Glock did you buy?

Fellow: I bought the one the dealer recommended.

Me: So you don’t know what you bought?

Fellow: I know it is a Glock.

Me: Have you ever fired a pistol before?

Fellow: No, but you just have to aim it and pull the trigger. I can do that.

Me: have you had any training in firearms?

Fellow: No.

Me: So you have a gun that you know nothing about, and you have no idea how to care for it and use it.

Fellow: So what? I can point it and shoot if I have to.

Me: Have you ever been shot at before?

Fellow: Of course not. Look, I bought a gun to protect my family and me. It is not rocket science. If the average soldier can shoot a gun, so can I.

(Now I am totally pissed off)

Me: OK, you have a gun and you can shoot it. You know nothing about the gun. You have never fired it. You have no training in how to use it. You have never shot at a target let alone a person. You are a disaster waiting to happen. If you have the gun on your person, tell me because I would prefer to be somewhere else.

Fellow: You are really obnoxious!

Me: Not obnoxious yet, but I am about to get there. A perp breaks into your house. He has a gun. You have a gun. He points his gun at you. You have no training, do not know the characteristics of your gun, and have not fired it. My guess is that you crap in your pants and, if you are lucky, you do not get fatally shot. A gun is no better than a brick in the hands of a person who has no idea how to use the gun.

Dinner was great, and the Fellow was down the other end of the table.
    I am willing to bet he is very close to a ND when he got home and decided to look down the barrel to see if it was loaded. These ass hats multiply and the only good thing about them is there will be many brand new unfired weapons near bodies if SHTF.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Meeting a turkey on Turkey day.

I'd have gone the 'girl Glock' route on him! "Dude, if you don't know which Glock you got sold, how do you know you didn't get the 'girl Glock'?"

Same as when the Harley *** starts dissing your bike because it's not a Harley. (They are over-rated, I've had the top of the line Harley, nice, but not worth the price tag). When asked what Harley they have they always respond with, "Sportster, that baby is a screamer". "Yeah, so is my girlfriend. But then she's a girl, and you are riding a girl's bike!". If he is a big enough ass-hat, even the other Harley fags will dive in and mess with him alongside you!

So, next time, ask him if he's sure he didn't buy the Girl Glock! For the record, the 'Girl Glock' is ANY Glock he would then produce.

(Bucks County)

owning a gun doesn't maked you "armed" any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

the new "owner" will have it taken from them, and used against them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    owning a gun doesn't maked you "armed" any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

the new "owner" will have it taken from them, and used against them.
    YEP! You pull a gun, you better know how to use, and have the 'will' to use it.

(Monroe County)

*snip* *dinner convo*
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Well at least he didn't buy a nickel-plated sissy pistol!

Last edited by Silence Dogood; December 1st, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Oh, noes. You are one of those "buying a piano doesn't make you a musician" folks. News flash, your new acquaintance was wrong, but you actually made things worse.

Maybe you should try the "spoonful of sugar" approach next time. I don't see how anything you did that day helped make our corner of the world a better place.

My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house...

(Indiana County)

If the average soldier can shoot a gun, so can I.
    I do believe that has to be the statement of the evening.

Bozo, who owns a Glock, has no idea what one goes through in Basic Training before one is even allowed to shoot a gun.

The local gun dealer saw him coming a mile away.

(Allegheny County)

Unfortunately he is well on his way to being a tragic gun statistic that makes us all look bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast