Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking at the PT 145, any comments?

I am a fan of the .45 ACP. I have a Government Model 1911, a house only firearm, and would like a carry size .45 ACP. I have seen many reports about the Taurus PT 145, price, size, etc. My government model doesn't like certain ammo, WWB JHP's, HP with large opening, etc. However will accept good defensive ammo like Hydro-Shocks, Glazers, Black Talons, etc.

Is the PT more ammo friendly?

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Looking at the PT 145, any comments?

Check out this site if you are thinking about Taurus guns... lots of information on all the Taurus line...... and Good Luck with your search.....

I have a Taurus PT101 ( 40 S&W ) and I LOVE it....

http://www.taurusarmed.net

PT145 have had a histry of the polymer cracking, think it's due to the DS magazine style, I have a PT745 which is the same only a single stack, not as many probems with this version of the .45 acp

You can read of the 145's stuff at the taurus forum www.taurusarmed.net

I use Hornaday, 230g +P SXT/JHP in mine with no problems.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

I'd honestly recommend having the Government tuned by someone like John Harrison. Send him the gun, and whatever kind of ammo you want it to feed.

I'd feel much more comfortable with that platform than with the Taurus. It should be cheaper to have the work done, too.

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/TextDesc/307.htm
    Can't beat it for $85 + shipping.
    The purpose of the Function Reliability Tune Up is to make minor adjustments and corrections to the pistol so that it smoothly and flawlessly chambers, fires, extracts and ejects every round, when fed quality ammo from good magazines as well as to inspect for potential problems.

I have a PT145. So far it has been flawless. The newest ones are SA/DA. The DA is really a second strike capability. There is no way to decock this pistol. The trigger pull is really light for most of the travel until you get to the point where it will fire. With the second strike capability the trigger pull is harder and the same throughout the travel. So far I never had to pull the trigger twice to fire a round. The SA takes getting used too but it is not bad. I carry my SW1911 slightly more than I do the PT145.

I know people had their problems with this gun but I have not. If you are buying used, make sure it is the newest model. It will have "Millennium" on the left and "PT145 PRO" on the right. That is the 3rd generation.

(Bucks County)

I owned a 3rd gen PT145 for a few months and put about 600rnds through it w/o a problem. I started reading in forums like this one and others about a problem these models were experiencing after 500rnds or so of the guide rod pushing its' way throught the frame. A simple fix would be a properly sized washer on the inside. This possible problem and Taurus' slow customer service nudged me to sell(trade) at a gunshow for a HUGE hit. It cost me about $130 for owning it only a few months. Tauri have a terrible resale and for that reason I probably won't buy another. They are ok guns for what they are and for the occasional shooter are fine weapons.

(York County)

I also have a pt145 the new ones have the frame problem fixed. Its darn accurate for a subcompact and the trigger is very light in sa as said before... the second strike is a great feature and I personally like the safety on it. I havent had any problems out of mine and lost count of how many rounds have gone thru it .... It is my favorite gun to carry. It took me quite a bit of practice to be able to shoot it well .... but it was my first 45. I love mine.

(Montgomery County)

I have one (3rd Generation) and only problem I have had is light primer hits. Ammo I have used is military ball (60's pedigree) and 2 other brands I cannot recall at moment - foreign commercial stuff about 15 years old. The military stuff would not fire and one of the other brands was hit or miss - it would take 2 or three hits from the primer to set it off. Other brand worked fine.

Regular 1911 clones (and originals) would set all the ammo off on first hit. So the ammo is dependable.

Other than that, PT145 works jut fine.

(Montgomery County)

I owned the PT140 and thought it was a great gun. Never a single misfeed and my shots went exactly where I aimed them. However, when I decided to move up to a .45 caliber cc handgun, I sold the Taurus and bought a Kahr. If you're set on a Taurus, you might want to have a look at the new PT709. It's a 9mm, but it looks like the slimmest model that Taurus has ever put out. Guns & Ammo HANDGUNS magazine just did a great article on it in their August/September 2008 issue and I gotta tell you, the PT709 is absolutely beautiful!! Before you buy, you owe it to yourself to have a look at it.

I am picking up a pt-145. After it checks out a-ok by me(gunn force feed it a good diet of heavy metal), will be looking at finding a local smith that can offer a fluff and buff service for my 1911.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast