Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 227?

Default Sig 227?

Does anybody have a 227? I haven't really been looking very hard, but I don't hear much about them. I used to have a 220 that I liked, but traded it for something else.

Just wondering what they were like. I have to start thinking about Christmas presents........for me.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Sig 227?

My friend carries one on duty, and hates it. That said, he carried a P220 before going PSP and hated it as well. I handled his quite a bit, and there isn't really much to say about it other than it's a SIG. To me, it felt only slightly larger than a P226 in the hand. Great gun, if you're into SIG.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Tioga County)

It's on my shopping list. I can see where people might not like it, but I love the classic Sig 220 line of pistols and probably shoot them better overall than anything out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    It's on my shopping list. I can see where people might not like it, but I love the classic Sig 220 line of pistols and probably shoot them better overall than anything out there.
    Yeah, I love my 226, so I got a 220. The 220 was a good gun, but just wasn't one of those that I became attached to.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Elk County)

The Troopers at the local stations (Elk, Cameron) either love it or hate it. The strong Glock fans hate it, but those indifferent to specific makes generally like the P227. One of the general comments from nearly everyone I've spoke to is that the P227 is "really accurate" and qualification scores were generally some better than scores fired with the most recent qual with the previous Glock.

I'm a SIG fan, and have a couple P220s, a P226, two P225s, five ex-German P6 / P225s, and three P228s. The P228 is my favorite SIG P-model; compact enough for carry and with a 13+1 capacity with the standard historic P228 SIG mags. I have handled a couple P227s, and fired one of the Trooper's using my own ammo the night some of them were qualifying. I put 10 rds in 2" square at 15 yds. The PSP guns have "PSP" as a S/N prefix, and a laser-engraved "patch" on the slide in front of the rear sight.

I really like the P227 as it is extremely familiar, but with a slightly wider, bulkier grip than that of the P226/P228, and noticeably bulkier than the P220. Not uncomfortably so, but still . . . The bulk hasn't put me off buying one, but right now it's not an urgent "gotta have one" feeling for me. In fact, I passed on a used one with three 10-rd mags priced at $650 about a month ago, a great price. But it wasn't so great as to make me part with the $$$ at the time, or now -- no second thoughts. All that said, those 14 rd extended mags are hideous, and really extend the length of the grip; the only way the P227 can be carried with those fugly 14 rd mags is open carry. Like on a duty belt.

If I didn't have the P220s, I'd likely spring for a P227. I've decided to wait until some owners decide they want something different and sell theirs, or the PSP changes their duty weapons out next time. Three troopers I know who are Glock fans said they'd buy their SIG P227 at that time and sell it to me.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; February 13th, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Got an equinox 227 LOVE it! feels great in my hands and its D.O.B accurate.

Picked up a P227 on Sunday. Haven't shot it yet. When I do, I'll let you know.

(Mercer County)

I just want to add that if they ever offer a SAO model, I'll be on it like a hobo on a hot dog.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I just want to add that if they ever offer a SAO model, I'll be on it like a hobo on a hot dog.
    We'd know you were serious if you said Joey Chestnut on a hot dog:

Hehe...
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The Troopers at the local stations (Elk, Cameron) either love it or hate it. The strong Glock fans hate it, but those indifferent to specific makes generally like the P227. One of the general comments from nearly everyone I've spoke to is that the P227 is "really accurate" and qualification scores were generally some better than scores fired with the most recent qual with the previous Glock.

Noah

At the Oaks-PA gunshow, I stopped at the Gideon Tactical stand. The browsing soon turned to the Sigs and during a conversation on the 227 Enhanced elite brought the following response from multiple Gideon personnel:

"The PA State Police (PSP)are having many issues with the 227 (their new issued sidearm). Aiming is very bad ( isn't that a user problem?)
    PSP has lowered the qualifications from 25-yd to 15 yd just so they can hit their marks with the 227 ( )"

All sounds like gunshow vendor BS to me - I see all great reviews here - but just wanted to see if anyone has heard similar - from a RELIABLE source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast