Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default copper colored casing question

Yes, this is probably a dumb question but I have to ask it. The guys at my range gave me a bunch of casings to sell for a charity. When I got home and looked , there was a bunch of odd casings. The throat and opening are .308 sized and the circumference of the casing is the same as a .308 but a little longer. The case is copper colored and magnetic. There are two sets of numbers one with 3 digits which I cant read and the number 75 on the other. I need to know the caliber and if they are reloadable. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: copper colored casing question

They are copper washed steel. Probably 7.62x54R. Just about anything can be reloaded, even steel with berdan primers. However these would be at the bottom of the list in regards to desirability. I doubt anyone will want them.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the answer. I will just throw them in with the others if someone wants them or in the trash if not.

Without seeing pictures my assumption is that they are 7.62x54R as the milsurplus rounds are copper washed steel.

I also agree that they wont be desirable even for charity purposes. You can reload these but finding the proper primers is tough and converting them to accept regular primers is a pain in the butt.

Cool Re: copper colored casing question

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    Yes, this is probably a dumb question but I have to ask it. The guys at my range gave me a bunch of casings to sell for a charity. When I got home and looked , there was a bunch of odd casings. The throat and opening are .308 sized and the circumference of the casing is the same as a .308 but a little longer. The case is copper colored and magnetic. There are two sets of numbers one with 3 digits which I cant read and the number 75 on the other. I need to know the caliber and if they are reloadable. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    Are they rimmed? Could be steel w copper washing..alot of combloc ammo is like that. Do not reload them IMHO IF rimmed they could be 7.62x54 russian rifle/ mg ammo. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...ammo?a=1585612

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    Look like this?

These CAN be reloaded but..... it's not really worth it.
    Last edited by GeneCC; December 2nd, 2014 at 03:44 PM.

(Bucks County)

Ooooh.... it has that upper red thing. Shouldn't that be banned? I mean with the 30 per second magazine clip thing it fits and all....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Ooooh.... it has that upper red thing. Shouldn't that be banned? I mean with the 30 per second magazine clip thing it fits and all....
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that red stuff is blood from all the children the NRA sacrificed yesterday, or the day before. At least that's what MDA told me.

(Washington County)

There are a few guys on the 1919A4 forum reloading them by the tens of thousands because they shoot machine guns, nobody else seems to be messing with them. Scrap bin they go (steel bin, not the brass/copper bin).
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Delaware County)

Another thing to look for in those type cases is berdan primers. If you look in the case berdan brass will have 2 primer holes off center. If you try to de-prime them you can bend or break the pin.