Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver "jam"

(Montgomery County)

Default Revolver "jam"

I recently purchased a Pietta 1873 SA revolver in .45 Long Colt. This is my first revolver, so I'm new to revolvers. I've been reloading Long Colt for a couple years now, primarily for my Puma lever-action, so I've got some experience with reloading.

When I test fired a primer-only case (no propellant or projectile) I found that I could not pull the hammer back to rotate the cylinder. After pulling the cylinder pin and gingerly rocking the cylinder out of the frame, I could not see anything out of the ordinary with the shell, the primer seating, or anything of that persuasion. I don't have a .45LC case gauge, though I really ought to get one!

A friend suggested I get some snap caps and validate the action on them, which will arrive on Thursday. In the meantime, is there something stupid about this test that might be causing my negative results? I'm operating under the assumption that a revolver is a great test bed for using primer-only cases.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Revolver "jam"

Firing primers without a charge or bullet may result in the primer backing out of the case just enough to prevent the cylinder from turning. Locking it up every time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Firing primers without a charge or bullet may result in the primer backing out of the case just enough to prevent the cylinder from turning. Locking it up every time.
    Thanks! I wonder if that is the issue. It seems counter-intuitive that in a non-pressure-limited situation this would occur, but when the case is loaded and high pressures are achieved, the primer stays in place.

It could also be when reloading your primers aren't completely seated. You wouldn't notice in a rifle but the revolver will.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_Pete View Post
    Thanks! I wonder if that is the issue. It seems counter-intuitive that in a non-pressure-limited situation this would occur, but when the case is loaded and high pressures are achieved, the primer stays in place.
    When the case has a charge and a bullet the pressure pushes the entire case back not just the primer.

Does it happen with nothing in the cylinders? Timing issue maybe?

(Lehigh County)

I have the exact same revolver. I've never used reloads in it.
    It also sometimes jams. Especially when using Cowboy Action LFN rounds.

It happened A LOT when using Aguila brand. Not as much when using Herter's, Sellier Bellot, or Winchester
    And the jamming appeared to begin occurring after a couple dozen rounds.
    As if it was a simple matter of the gun getting dirty from dirtier ammo.
    Does not appear to happen when using FMJ rounds from Underwood.

I also have the 357mag version. It does not jam; But it did tend to shake it's self apart before several applications of thread lock appears to have stopped that.
    --ET

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    When the case has a charge and a bullet the pressure pushes the entire case back not just the primer.
    Nail hit on head, here ^.

Full charge with bullet will let the case rim 'seal' against the breech. That can't happen with just a primer detonating, and can 'puff' (for better words) the bottom of the case so it has a concave effect just long enough to lock up the cylinder.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

You can use primer-only cases but first you have to enlarge the primer flash hole with a drill. That lets the pressure from the igniting primer blow unimpeded into the chamber without pushing the primer backwards.

Some people do this in order to shoot wax bullets or other light projectiles indoors for practice and minimal noise.

I am not advocating this, but just noting that it has been done.

That said, you need to be careful that, IF YOU DO DRILL THE FLASH HOLES for practice rounds, be sure to mark the brass so you don't mistakenly reload it normally with powder and projectile.

Reload at your own risk. Deviate from standard reloading practices at your own risk.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    You can use primer-only cases but first you have to enlarge the primer flash hole with a drill. That lets the pressure from the igniting primer blow unimpeded into the chamber without pushing the primer backwards.

Some people do this in order to shoot wax bullets or other light projectiles indoors for practice and minimal noise.

I am not advocating this, but just noting that it has been done.

That said, you need to be careful that, IF YOU DO DRILL THE FLASH HOLES for practice rounds, be sure to mark the brass so you don't mistakenly reload it normally with powder and projectile.

Reload at your own risk. Deviate from standard reloading practices at your own risk.
    I agree, the primer is backing out of the case.
    Last edited by rkrcpa; December 3rd, 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast