Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Conceal carry question

Both my wife and myself have Pennsylvania License to carry firearms issued to us by the Chester County Sheriff's Office. My wife has purchased two hand guns, and being in real estate sales she conceals carry.

I have not purchase any hand guns. The question is would it be legal for me to carry one of the hand guns as a conceal carry or would I need to purchase a fire arm in my name.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Conceal carry question

Yes, you're good to go.

(Bucks County)

A LTCF holder may loan another LTCF holder a handgun to carry in Pa.

(Montgomery County)

I am not an attorney, and I have no credentials at all to give legal advice. That said, I think you can carry a gun owned by your wife. The PA LTCF does not proscribe carrying a gun owned by another person. Also, since your wife made legitimate purchases of the guns (not straw purchases) she ought too be able to lend the gun to another person, although I suspect she would have some liability if the gun were used illegally, which of course you would not do. While logic and legal often conflict, I think one can logically conclude that you can CC one the guns she owns. Maybe a lawyer on this forum can offer a more reliable opinion.

(Chester County)

Thank You

(Lackawanna County)

Legally speaking, even if neither of you had licenses, she could still give you the gun, as a gift, and it would be legal. Transfers between spouses and parents/children are legal without having to fill out a 4473. All she has to do is say, "Here," and the gun is now yours.

(Lackawanna County)

This is all fine & dandy, but......how many times have we seen written here about LEOs wanting to "run the serial number" when they detain you? Yes, I know there is no "legal" registry, but.....I recall reading about the hassles others here have had when carrying handguns they had purchased before they moved to PA.

It seems when they "run the numbers" and your magic number isn't in their "system" you get jerked around with having an "illegal" handgun until you can prove otherwise. This is exactly why I no longer carry any of the handguns I've purchased outside of PA, while carrying here in PA. The last thing I want, is to have my pistol tossed in some evidence bin like it was some dog do-do by someone who really does not understand the laws here. Then, have to go thru the hassle of proving my property really is my property, by filing out forms and having to get legal counsel, take time off from work and jump hoops all because of the way the "system" operates.

And yes, a gifted pistol won't be in your name. It'll be in the name of the person who bought it. Spouse, Brother or Dad, it still seems they will ding you for having something that the State says isn't yours, according to their records.

But please, if I'm wrong on this, do correct me. I know the PA laws say one thing, but it appears the actions on the street show another thing.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    This is all fine & dandy, but......how many times have we seen written here about LEOs wanting to "run the serial number" when they detain you? Yes, I know there is no "legal" registry, but.....I recall reading about the hassles others here have had when carrying handguns they had purchased before they moved to PA.

It seems when they "run the numbers" and your magic number isn't in their "system" you get jerked around with having an "illegal" handgun until you can prove otherwise. This is exactly why I no longer carry any of the handguns I've purchased outside of PA, while carrying here in PA. The last thing I want, is to have my pistol tossed in some evidence bin like it was some dog do-do by someone who really does not understand the laws here. Then, have to go thru the hassle of proving my property really is my property, by filing out forms and having to get legal counsel, take time off from work and jump hoops all because of the way the "system" operates.

And yes, a gifted pistol won't be in your name. It'll be in the name of the person who bought it. Spouse, Brother or Dad, it still seems they will ding you for having something that the State says isn't yours, according to their records.

But please, if I'm wrong on this, do correct me. I know the PA laws say one thing, but it appears the actions on the street show another thing.

Better not have been purchased by a sibling.

Gifts sans 4473 are only legal between parent/child/grandparent/grandchildren. Not siblings/cousins/aunts/uncles. This also only applies if both parties are PA residents.

Also, why would you let them run your serial?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    A LTCF holder may loan another LTCF holder a handgun to carry in Pa.
    Only the recipient needs an LTCF. Not both parties.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Only the recipient needs an LTCF. Not both parties.
    Thank you. You are correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast