Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice on traveling to Erie this time of year

Hello, all! I'm an IL resident (with IL CCW) who needs to travel to PA to get my PA CCW permit. I was in the Cleveland area in August visiting friends, and should have driven the bit east to get to Erie, but I wanted to get home, and so I didn't. Kicking myself now.

How is it on traveling to Erie this time of year? Significant lake effect? Or should I just put it off until the spring? I'd be driving from the Chicago area.

Thanks!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Advice on traveling to Erie this time of year

It can be fine one minute and you go inside only to come out to your car buried in snow. I'm from that area and i limit my trips to May through September. Others may not have the same impression as me

(Erie County)

Right now the weather is beautiful, if you do come during a storm make sure that you have snow tires and you will do just fine.

(Bucks County)

I grew up in Erie. We used to say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. It'll change.

Just check the forecast for significant snow fall, and have some food and extra clothing in your car, along with a flashlight and other safety gear.

If your car is in good operating condition, you should be good to go.

(Erie County)

The snow comes off the lake in "bands", certain areas will get nothing, others will get buried.
    As others have said, plan your trip by the weather reports. Wait until little or no snow, or freezing rain, is forecast.
    Typically Ohio roads will be salted/plowed better.
    Also call ahead to make sure the Sheriff's office is open.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie13 View Post
    Hello, all! I'm an IL resident (with IL CCW) who needs to travel to PA to get my PA CCW permit. I was in the Cleveland area in August visiting friends, and should have driven the bit east to get to Erie, but I wanted to get home, and so I didn't. Kicking myself now.

How is it on traveling to Erie this time of year? Significant lake effect? Or should I just put it off until the spring? I'd be driving from the Chicago area.

Thanks!

Click here before you leave - WJET-TV weather
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Erie County)

Check Accuweather.com. There's always stretches of decent weather. Right now, the roads are clear, and next Thursday (11th) through the following Tuesday we're in the mid-40's. Just get on I-90 to I-79 N, take a right at State St.

Thanks, guys! December got away from me and January is all booked up, so I'll keep an eye on the weather in February and March.

(Allegheny County)

I grew up in Erie and Erie weather can be nasty and total accumulation and below freezing days significantly outnumber those only an hour to the south.

However if you check the weather forecast and don't come during a snowstorm you should be good. Since I moved away in 1998 I have only gotten stranded there once on a trip back. We knew the weather was going to be shitty but it was an important family matter. We packed to stay overnight just in case. On this trip we figured we would be there overnight but hoped it would let up enough to head home same day.

Be prepared as you should for any town with winter weather and don't drive like a jackass and you will be just fine.

I second calling the Sheriff's office to make sure they are open and process out of state applications.
    Last edited by QuackXP; December 18th, 2014 at 10:25 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Erie County)

If your going to wait for Feb. or March you might as well just wait it out until end of March or even into April. February is really are worst time for heavy snow storms lately. As of right now the lake hasn't froze over which is a recipe for disaster up here depending on storm fronts and wind direction. If you haven't driven in horrible weather with horrible drivers try avoiding this area till the winter weather has eased up. Seriously there are a lot of idiots on the roadways around here. Advisories for people not to drive Jan is going to get her hear did. Joans gonna take her dog to get its nails trimmed just for an idea of the idiots I speak of. Yes I drive Big Rigs if you are so inclined to ask.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast