Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Finally, First OC encounter with the Police.

In my daily work, I have the rare opportunity to OC all day wherever I go. As I was driving from one job to the next, I was involved in a minor accident. The realization came upon me that I would likely have some sort of confrontation with the local police (Susquehanna Twshp). So, as I waited, I steeled myself for whatever lay ahead.

The officer that arrived immediately asked if I was a police officer. I answered "no". He asked if I had a permit, which I explained that I did not need if I was on foot, but did for carrying in my truck. He accepted this and did not ask for my permit.

However, he told me (not asked) that he was going to disarm me for the classic "officer's safety". I said no, he repeated his demand, and I again refused. He looked confused, repeated his demand a third time and told me to put my hand on the roof of my truck to remove my sidearm.

I was rather annoyed, but for expediency in the accident report, I 'let him' remove my sidearm, still maintaining my request to keep it.

He had proper muzzle control, but did not unload it.

After filling out the accident report, I explained to him that the 'officer safety' phrase was a bit of a misnomer, as I was just as concerned with my safety as he was. He explained that he did not know who I was from Adam, and I countered with the same. As he returned my sidearm, he asked if I was going to shoot him with it. I could think of nothing else to say except "Heck no!". (You would think the officer would realize that any anger I was feeling had nothing to do with him at all - hence why would the thought even enter his mind?)

I handed him a PAFOA flyer, asked him to read it, upon which he finished his business, and left.

Overall, I suppose it was a neuteral first encounter, but definitely good experience. The officer was about as old as I was, (late 20's) and definitely responded in a calm manner.

However, I do realize that he performed an illegal seziure of my sidearm.

I also realize that I should have stated that "Unless you have reasonable suspicion to believe that I've committed a crime with my sidearm, you have no need to hold it"

So, what do you think?

I'm honestly quite satisfied with my response, being the first time I've dealt with an officer.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Finally, First OC encounter with the Police.

It sounds like it went ok to me but I don't know the law like everyone else here. I'd have just let him have it (meaning handed it over not shot him LOL!-hey you never know what people are thinking!) the first time he asked because I am just now learning what EXACTLY the laws are and my own rights. I am really shocked at my ignorance and appalled at the same time...embarrassed too. Still, I won't get answers if I don't ask questions or seek out information. Yeah, you didn't ask any of this but I'm disclosing my ignorance since I'm giving my opinion on your encounter. I always thought cops did illegal crap because they thought they could get away with it...come to find out it's because half of them don't know any better either! I don't know which is worse.

(Wayne County)

I've seen a lot of "incidents" on here that end up with the LEO taking your pistol and disarming it. I don't like the idea of it but I guess we have to comply even though technically we shouldn't.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Chester County)

You did fine, stood up for your rights and hopefully educated a young officer. Not bad for a days work I would say. BTW what job do you have that allows you to OC everywhere? I want to know cause I want that job!

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Dauphin County)

I am a wildlife control tech for S and S Wildlife Control Services (www.sandswildlifecontrol.com).

The nature of the business requires the use of firearms almost daily, and as a result, OC is no problem. I usually carry my Kahr p9.

I will get the occasional glance, double take, or question, but nothing that can't be handled reasonably.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Chester County)

Now that is cool, and unfair I am jealous!!

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Wayne County)

x's 2 damn...sounds like a nice job.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Finally, First OC encounter with the Police.

You did fine.

By allowing his illegal seizure, you pulled in your horns when you shouldn't have,.

You could have stated "for your safety, officer? Does my going about my business in a lawful manner cause you to fear for your safety? That's not my fault, sir."

However, all in all, this "education" process is going to be accomplished in baby steps.

So, thanks.

(Franklin County)

rallen, just curious how long you've been OCing overall before having this encounter?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rallen View Post
    In my daily work, I have the rare opportunity to OC all day wherever I go. As I was driving from one job to the next, I was involved in a minor accident. The realization came upon me that I would likely have some sort of confrontation with the local police (Susquehanna Twshp). So, as I waited, I steeled myself for whatever lay ahead.

The officer that arrived immediately asked if I was a police officer. I answered "no". He asked if I had a permit, which I explained that I did not need if I was on foot, but did for carrying in my truck. He accepted this and did not ask for my permit.
    However, he told me (not asked) that he was going to disarm me for the classic "officer's safety". I said no, he repeated his demand, and I again refused. He looked confused, repeated his demand a third time and told me to put my hand on the roof of my truck to remove my sidearm.

I was rather annoyed, but for expediency in the accident report, I 'let him' remove my sidearm, still maintaining my request to keep it.

He had proper muzzle control, but did not unload it.

After filling out the accident report, I explained to him that the 'officer safety' phrase was a bit of a misnomer, as I was just as concerned with my safety as he was. He explained that he did not know who I was from Adam, and I countered with the same. As he returned my sidearm, he asked if I was going to shoot him with it. I could think of nothing else to say except "Heck no!". (You would think the officer would realize that any anger I was feeling had nothing to do with him at all - hence why would the thought even enter his mind?)

I handed him a PAFOA flyer, asked him to read it, upon which he finished his business, and left.

Overall, I suppose it was a neuteral first encounter, but definitely good experience. The officer was about as old as I was, (late 20's) and definitely responded in a calm manner.

However, I do realize that he performed an illegal seziure of my sidearm.

I also realize that I should have stated that "Unless you have reasonable suspicion to believe that I've committed a crime with my sidearm, you have no need to hold it"

So, what do you think?

I'm honestly quite satisfied with my response, being the first time I've dealt with an officer.
    Perhaps I misunderstood what you are saying, but it sounds like you told the LEO that you don't need to give him your LTCF because you were not INSIDE your truck at the moment. I do not believe this to be correct.

Whether or not he "accepted" your explanation of the law, as I understand it, you do need to have a LTCF if you are driving to work.

I will gladly accept being corrected if I am wrong here.

As for the rest of the encounter, I have no comment, as I was not there. It's hard to get a feel for how things played out by reading it online.
    Glad to hear it didn't go too badly.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast