Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deer rifles.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Deer rifles.

Just curious what some fellow members will be taking to the woods on Monday. The last few years I've been all about trying new calibers and weapons for deer hunting. For years I used and killed several deer with a Remington 700 in .30-06. I used bullets ranging from 150 to 180 grains. In the end I settled on 150 grain Sierra game kings or 150 grain Remington Core Lokts. The 150 grainers seemed to put them down fast.

At some point I decided to try things that were new to me. I took a deer with a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt using a Hornady 300 grain XTP bullet over some H-110. Scored for the first time with a .54 cal TC Hawken. The next deer I took with a US Model 1917 surplus rifle since I always wanted to try that. Last year I used a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win mag with a 325 grain bullet mostly just to say I did. Surprisingly this bullet did less meat damage than any other caliber I ever used. Just clipping the off shoulder you could literally eat up to the hole as the was no blood shot meat. On the down side the deer ran slightly over 100 yards before crashing after being double lunged. It left a blood trail a bare footed blind man could follow though.

This year I've pretty much set my mind to using one of my 6.5mm's. Both my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 and Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag are on deck. If I score this will be the smallest diameter bullet I've ever used for deer.

Future hunts will include a .30-30 Marlin that I've had since I was 12. I've not shot a deer with that rifle and really would like to. I kind of put it away after returning home from the service and acquiring the .30-06. A Marlin .45-70 is also as well as a Remington 700 in .375 H&H. I loaded up some shells for the .375 H&H last winter that mimics the old .375 Winchester cartridge.

Anybody else like changing things up or do you stick with ole reliable?

Default Re: Deer rifles.

Kind of in the same boat and always thinking about where I am going and what would be best suited.. I have my super redhawk 44, scoped, and 7.5 inch barrel I take with me for time to time, and just dialed in my 30-06 today with 165 grains, took some filing and polishing to get it just right, and just finished doing the same to my .270 an hour ago, had quite a bit of creep, and fortunately has quite a bit of adjustability, took some polish to it with the dremel. I have a 25-05 ruger no-1 I would like to try, but just not happy with its consistency..

This was my widst group today, averaging .65" @100 yds.. 165 grain.

I picked up Mossberg ATR100 30-06 as seen last week for 250.00 at a local shop, may give it a try this year.. toss up tween the 270 and 30-06 for Monday.

It didn't look used, and who ever set it up, didn't have a clue, scope ring gaps tight, no locktight on anything, galling on weaver ring screws and so on, he likely blamed the gun, so it was a good score.
    Last edited by tollster; November 28th, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Westmoreland County)

That's not bad at all. If I could get groups around an inch at 100 yards I was always happy since most of the deer I've killed have fallen under that range. Only one was taken over 100 yards but less than 200. The .270 is one of those calibers I want to try out before I get too old to chase deer. My buddy has one and it has been a lightening bolt. The 7mm Rem mag is another along with the .260 Rem.

ETA: Funny about that .30-06. I ran into a Winchester 70 in 7mm Rem mag today at the LGS. The front scope base was visibly thicker than the rear and the scope was pointing upwards from the plane of the barrel. The guy probably shot a box through it and gave up. The place was a zoo, maybe I'll go check it out again tomorrow.
    Last edited by pennlineman; November 28th, 2014 at 09:52 PM.

(Perry County)

I buy and sell my guns all of the time. I either get tired of it or I need the bucks so off they go.

Currently, I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70, a Winchester 70 detachable box magazine in .270 and a really heavy custom Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag that are in the rotation. I also have multiple handguns including a TC Contender in 30-30 that I could take out. There's also a Winchester 94 in 30-30 sitting in the back of the safe.

I took a button buck with my crossbow this season.

I'm not loyal to anything. Like you, I like trying different stuff so long as I consider it within reason. No .22 Hornet or anything like that.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Mercer County)

I have used a Marlin .30-30 since I was twelve years old. I don't forsee that changing any time soon. I have a .300 Weatherby Mag that I've always wanted to use on a deer, though, just to see what it does.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I have never gotten anything with a .270, I have a Weatheryby Lazermark 270 mag, but often leave it at home, its heavy and honestly too friggen pretty to climb trees with. the late Jack O'Conner had some good stories on the 270 and really made it what it is today. Most everyone I know that shot a deer with it, claims it to be a one step round. Dropping most if not all immediately.. Its a flat shooter too.
    Years back I was coming out the woods with my buddy and we saw a doe on the ridge line, it was close to dark, and the sun setting behind it in the field made it look like a silhouette. it was about 150 or more out. He saw it first, so he got the crack at it with his 270... I watch through my scope.. it was like a cartoon, one shot, deer went belly up, litterly, with all four legs sticking straight up in the air.. never saw anything like it my life..

I'm looking forward to seeing what this ADL enhancement will do..
    Last edited by tollster; November 28th, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    That's not bad at all. If I could get groups around an inch at 100 yards I was always happy since most of the deer I've killed have fallen under that range. Only one was taken over 100 yards but less than 200. The .270 is one of those calibers I want to try out before I get too old to chase deer. My buddy has one and it has been a lightening bolt. The 7mm Rem mag is another along with the .260 Rem.

ETA: Funny about that .30-06. I ran into a Winchester 70 in 7mm Rem mag today at the LGS. The front scope base was visibly thicker than the rear and the scope was pointing upwards from the plane of the barrel. The guy probably shot a box through it and gave up. The place was a zoo, maybe I'll go check it out again tomorrow.
    I had a 7mm Rem Mag. Impressive performance on deer. Same with a .300 WSM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Beaver County)

I plan on hunting mostly with my 7MM Mag Ruger.

150 grain Federals.

Backups are my dad's Ruger in 30-06,165 grainers.

And the backup to that is my 243 Model 788 Remington that I've had since I was sixteen. (90.00). 100 grain Federals.

All sporting 3x9 Leupolds.

Planned on hunting with my 35 Marlin,but it and an icy forest road,came to blows.Broken stock.probably saved this old fart from breaking something on me.

Good hunting to everybody and be safe.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I have used a Marlin .30-30 since I was twelve years old. I don't forsee that changing any time soon. I have a .300 Weatherby Mag that I've always wanted to use on a deer, though, just to see what it does.
    Nothing wrong with that. My first gun was a H&R single shot .410 my Dad got me. I still have it and take it out on the first day of small game every year.

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    honestly too friggen pretty to climb trees with.
    LOL! I have fair weather and bad weather guns myself.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I buy and sell my guns all of the time. I either get tired of it or I need the bucks so off they go.

Currently, I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70, a Winchester 70 detachable box magazine in .270 and a really heavy custom Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag that are in the rotation. I also have multiple handguns including a TC Contender in 30-30 that I could take out. There's also a Winchester 94 in 30-30 sitting in the back of the safe.

I took a button buck with my crossbow this season.

I'm not loyal to anything. Like you, I like trying different stuff so long as I consider it within reason. No .22 Hornet or anything like that.
    Nice lineup. I'm not a fan of using .22's either. I know they'll work, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    I plan on hunting mostly with my 7MM Mag Ruger.

150 grain Federals.

Backups are my dad's Ruger in 30-06,165 grainers.

And the backup to that is my 243 Model 788 Remington that I've had since I was sixteen. (90.00). 100 grain Federals.

All sporting 3x9 Leupolds.

Planned on hunting with my 35 Marlin,but it and an icy forest road,came to blows.Broken stock.probably saved this old fart from breaking something on me.

Good hunting to everybody and be safe.
    Sorry about the .35, it can be fixed a lot easier than you can though. I've become a big fan of Leupold scopes. Upgraded both of my 6.5's this summer with 3X9's. Have a 2X7 on the .375 and a 1.5X5 on the .458. Need to get a 3X9 for the 06 and would like to put 1.5X5's on the .30-30 and .45-70. I know, putting glass on a lever gun sucks, my eyes are getting old. Good scopes and not too expensive.

Tagged my first archery season deer this year, but on Monday, I'll be out with the 260 Rem - a 129 gr SST over RL22. I'm hunting the second weekend in Maryland on a lease with an inline shooting a 250 grain shockwave over Blackhorn 209. I picked up a .50 Renegade on Wednesday and plan on pushing PRBs down the barrel. I've used a .30-30 for a long time, but the .260 will likely be my go to rifle for firearms season until I'm good with the flintlock.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast