Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Straw purchase or not?

Been trying to get my girlfriend interested in shooting for several years now and she has shot before, however she doesn't like any of my guns because they are too big for her tiny hands. We have talked about me getting a gun that she feels comfortable shooting.

We are planning on going to the shop to see if there is anything she like and I am going to purchase it FOR MYSELF to keep in my collection and let her use it when we go out shooting together. She is in no way contributing to the funds to purchase the gun and she will not have possession of it at any time without me being present.

I have asked the FFL that I deal with about this in the past and it didn't seem to raise any concerns, however I just want to make sure that there is no chance that this can be viewed as a potential straw purchase.

Like I said, no funds being transferred between her and I, gun remains in my possession at all times.

Default Re: Straw purchase or not?

No concerns. You're buying it for yourself and plan on allowing her to use it at the range.

(Berks County)

You are not telling her it's for her are you? She doesn't think it's a gift and we just keep it at my house does she? Does she live with you? Strawman is all based in intentions. The more you post on it, the more they know about your intentions. If you are buying a gun for you you are good to go.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    Been trying to get my girlfriend interested in shooting for several years now and she has shot before, however she doesn't like any of my guns because they are too big for her tiny hands. We have talked about me getting a gun that she feels comfortable shooting.

We are planning on going to the shop to see if there is anything she like and I am going to purchase it FOR MYSELF to keep in my collection and let her use it when we go out shooting together. She is in no way contributing to the funds to purchase the gun and she will not have possession of it at any time without me being present.

I have asked the FFL that I deal with about this in the past and it didn't seem to raise any concerns, however I just want to make sure that there is no chance that this can be viewed as a potential straw purchase.

Like I said, no funds being transferred between her and I, gun remains in my possession at all times.
    Nothing illegal......as long as she is not a prohibited person. She never takes ownership of the gun.

(Lancaster County)

If you both don't have your LTCF, get them. You won't have any issues for sure that way. It's insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post

Have at it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You are not telling her it's for her are you? She doesn't think it's a gift and we just keep it at my house does she? Does she live with you? Strawman is all based in intentions. The more you post on it, the more they know about your intentions. If you are buying a gun for you you are good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Nothing illegal......as long as she is not a prohibited person. She never takes ownership of the gun.

It's completely legal to buy a gun with full intentions of giving it to someone else. Of course, firearms would need to hit a 2nd FFL transfer in most cases (but not all) due to state law. If she has a LTCF and wants to borrow it... Just hand it to her.

Long gun? Just hand it to her whether she wants to borrow it or even keep it

All legal

There is no such law as a straw purchase... Doesn't exist
    The crime broken would be lying on the form 4473 and/or conducting a transfer without using an FFL.
    Both of these crimes do not apply to OP's ask
    Last edited by BimmerJon; November 28th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    As long as the OP purchases the gun in his name the OP owns it. However, if I were the OP I would be concerned about possession not ownership. If she has the gun on her person, that is posses it, when the OP is not with her could it be a "straw" situation? I have no idea but it would concern me if I were the OP.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    As long as the OP purchases the gun in his name the OP owns it. However, if I were the OP I would be concerned about possession not ownership. If she has the gun on her person, that is posses it, when the OP is not with her could it be a "straw" situation? I have no idea but it would concern me if I were the OP.
    No it would not. Again, "straw purchase" doesn't exist. It's a made up political term. We'd be better to stop using it.

If the purchase/transfer didn't violate any Federal or State laws, then it's clean.
    If the girlfriend has a LTCF, she is free to possess or even carry it alone.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    No it would not. Again, "straw purchase" doesn't exist. It's a made up political term. We'd be better to stop using it.

If the purchase/transfer didn't violate any Federal or State laws, then it's clean.
    If the girlfriend has a LTCF, she is free to possess or even carry it alone.
    Thank you for the clarification. Really!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast