Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Question Remington 870 Police Magnum Feeding Issue

Background: Purchased the Remington 870P about 2 years ago, and have had it out to the range infrequently since then, but have put a decent amount of rounds through it with ZERO problems to date.

Issue: Tuesday I lightly lubed a few contact points and took it out to test some new ammunition. A couple shots in to the day, the gun locked up on the round it was trying to feed. I cleared it through brute force (reaching in and pushing the round back down to loosen the action, then shoving the forend forward again). I assumed it was the new ammunition and tried other brands that have been flawless in the past, and they too malfunctioned...every other round or about every three rounds. I'll post a picture when I can, but the problem is similar to the problem in this thread. http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/1...g-problem.html The difference that I can see is that my extractor is holding onto the rim of my cartridge when feeding.
    870 jam.jpg

I assumed I'd never run into problems like this with a higher end remington shotgun, or at least a "duty" level shotgun. Any tips/suggestions?

See: Post #8
    Last edited by StingyGunner; January 7th, 2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Centre County)

Default Re: Remington 870 Police Magnum Feeding Issue

I believe I have discovered the problem---a total fluke that could've gotten me killed. It seems that on the topside of the shell "flipper," the little tab (of whose purpose I do not know) created by the U-shaped cutout is raised just enough that it catches the top of the brass on the shell, locking everything up.

(Westmoreland County)

One safeguard against some 870 feeding problems is to cut a slot into the center of the "flipper", suitable for pushing rounds back into the magazine with a tool (car or house key, back of a knife blade or something of that sort).

(Centre County)

Well, I'll be contacting Remington to make it right. I don't believe in having to fix fairly new firearms to get them to work--especially firearms sold as "police" or duty firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    I believe I have discovered the problem---a total fluke that could've gotten me killed. It seems that on the topside of the shell "flipper," the little tab (of whose purpose I do not know) created by the U-shaped cutout is raised just enough that it catches the top of the brass on the shell, locking everything up.
    Watch the linked video, starting around 12:00, to see an explanation of the Flexitab.

http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopi...7&p=3929#p3929
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; November 28th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Centre County)

Thanks, Lawyer. So it seems my tab somehow got bent too far up and has stayed that way?...I suppose I'll try to push it back. I can't believe nobody else has had this problem... I tried bending it down a bit, but it only takes finger pressure to get it back up to where it was. Thanks, Remington.
    Last edited by StingyGunner; November 28th, 2014 at 03:57 PM.

(York County)

I would still contact Remington customer service and explain the problem.
    They may want to have the shotgun back to effect proper repair and give
    you a RA(Return Authorization). See what they will do for you or go to a
    reputable Gunsmith.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Centre County)

Received by 870P back today. They replaced the trigger group and deemed the extractor gouging issue "OK." What gets me is that they replaced my 870P Magnum metal trigger guard/group with a plastic one. Your thoughts? I couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether this is normal or good.

(Centre County)

I called Remington that day. They assured me that replacing the stock trigger group with a plastic one is not SOP, and after talking, decided they'd send me the right trigger group when they had one to send. She "explained" something about how at the beginning of every year, Remington is back-ordered on everything...blah blah. Ok. I am happy I'll get the right one..in a few months (?!?!). I'm becoming a Mossberg fan. I'm beginning to see the truth behind the growing feeling that Remington is not a legitimate competitor anymore. If you can't produce shotguns without a hitch, what can you do?

(Centre County)

Received an email yesterday (1/16) from Remington that my part had shipped (WAY earlier than I expected). I received it today (1/17) (WAY earlier than I expected). I had no chance to shoot the shotgun with the polymer trigger assembly installed and do not plan to. I will install the new metal group and test it out. To note, the new one I received looks nicer: more clean cut, nicer finish, and has a hole in the top of the trigger guard forward of the trigger like the polymer group does (I take it this means it is newer).

New metal group on right, plastic on left:

triggerresize.jpg

New metal group installed...note the cant of the shell carrier:

870 cant.jpg
    Last edited by StingyGunner; January 17th, 2015 at 09:23 PM.