Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Form 4473

(Bucks County)

Default Form 4473

Why is there no customer copy of Form 4473? I know you can ask for a copy, I'm just curious as to why there isn't one already.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Form 4473

Because I've never seen anyone ask for a copy. I'm sure it happens, but demand isn't enough to justify wasting all that paper for something most people will trash or never look at again, like I do with my copy of the PSP handgun transfer form (yeah yeah go ahead and tell me that's a bad idea).
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Why is there no customer copy of Form 4473? I know you can ask for a copy, I'm just curious as to why there isn't one already.
    Be careful McSull. As I'm sure you are already aware, some FFL's will refuse to provide you with a copy of your signed 4473 ATF form.

Always confirm with the FFL prior to your purchase if they will provide you with a copy of all signed paperwork. If they tell me "no", I walk out of the store.

(Centre County)

I've been doing this for 29 years and I've NEVER had a person ask me for a copy of their 4473. If they ask about what happens to it I tell them they stay in my shop (unless subpoenaed by a court) for 20 years then I have the option to destroy them or send them to the ATF records division. When I go out of business, they get sent to the ATF to be put somewhere. Even if the ATF, PSP, local LE, or anyone else wants to take them, they can't without a court order. If they want copies I will gladly make copies but legally I can charge them if I want to. Typically I just give then a copy to stay on their good side. I've had to make copies for a LE agency just twice and none ever by court order.

SP4-1134 customer copy always goes to the customer, either in the guns box or handed to the customer. I tell them they do not have to keep it on their person but keep it somewhere safe, just in case it is needed (especially if it was a private transfer).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

There is no need for a copy. While not a statutory condition, possession is de facto ownership until proven otherwise.

If a court, law enforcement agency, or private party has reason to believe another person owns it, it is up to them to prove it. ...which they(LEO or court) can ask the last known FFL to pony-up.

And since long guns in PA aren't regulated, the 4473 offer little to no full chain of ownership. ...Handguns also work this way in most other states.

The 4473 is to only service as proof of transfer of a firearm from a FFL to a private buyer as regulation upon the FFL.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!