Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking at buying an AR

I'm wanting an AR for the collection. Im not looking to have the best name brand or a $4000 rifle, I wanna stay between $1000-1500. My main pre requisite is the rifle must work. I like LMT, LWRC,Colt,BCM ,Rock River those are just some of the many. I have to save for this so it won't happen til prolly my birthday in March. I want buy it not build it wouldn't mind buy upper and lower separate but a complete rifle is ideal for me. I've had a spikes about 8 years ago and that was nice but for whatever reason I sold it. I've mostly had AK's of different variants over the past decade but there's just something about an AR that's just sweet. It's mostly gonna see range time and possibly a match or something but that would be it. I am a bit of a snob with Wanting it to be mil-spec with mag part testing and high pressure tests and I prefer a 1:7 twist and 16" barrel. It will most likey be an M4gery and not middy, but I'm not against a piston upper or a DI gun. I've had DI and have no issue with that system. I don't know much about them and will research them but I woil like some info from you guys who covet these things.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; November 27th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Default Re: Looking at buying an AR

The magpul 6920s for <900 seem pretty incredible to me. Assuming no new scares I assume they will still be around when your birthday comes around.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I personally bought a Colt 6920 as my first AR. Couldn't pass up the deal on it. I love it and it runs like a champ.

I don't think you'll go wrong with LWRC or RRA.

(Mercer County)

You're going to be hard pressed to beat a 6920 at the prices they as currently selling for, in my opinion. Really though, I would be happy with anything from Colt, Spike's, BCM, PSA, or Daniel Defense. DD will be the most expensive.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Butler County)

It's a buyers market right now for AR's. You won't go wrong with any of the "top tier" makers. Look around, do some reading and research and you'll find something good for 7-800 or less. You can build one for less than 500. Use the rest of the money to buy ammo. They love ammo. Lots of ammo.

(Bucks County)

Rethink the 'not wanting to build one'. Seriously, build it yourself, you'll KNOW it intimately, know how it works, WHY it works, you'll know the quality that went into it, and in the end, you'll know what you do and do not want in the next one you build.

Find a guy near you who has built one, and get him to walk you through it. You'll never be sorry that you did one yourself, but you might later regret NOT doing one yourself.

(Lawrence County)

Having a Colt is nice, but you could also get a Daniel Defense or BCM for the price range you're looking at. The fit, finish, and additional options that DD and BCM offer are phenomenal, and something I'd highly suggest taking a hard look at.

While you didn't mention building one, that's also a good option. You have the budget for a fantastic build, even if it's just assembling an upper and lower of your choice. Pick out the upper you want, the rail, and lower. It's made even easier if you just get a fully assembled upper with the barrel, gas system, and rail that you want, and just match it with an assembled lower of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    Having a Colt is nice, but you could also get a Daniel Defense or BCM for the price range you're looking at. The fit, finish, and additional options that DD and BCM offer are phenomenal, and something I'd highly suggest taking a hard look at.

While you didn't mention building one, that's also a good option. You have the budget for a fantastic build, even if it's just assembling an upper and lower of your choice. Pick out the upper you want, the rail, and lower. It's made even easier if you just get a fully assembled upper with the barrel, gas system, and rail that you want, and just match it with an assembled lower of your choice.
    I agree with all of the above.

I've had two Colts, but I think my DD & BCM builds are better guns for the money. Get yourself a DD or Bravo Co upper of your choice; almost any stripped lower, a parts kit minus the fire control group, then a Geissele trigger. Pick a stock that suits you, some sights, a red dot or scope & you have a gun made just for you; with everything you like & nothing you don't.

A lower will take you 20-30 minutes to assemble, then just pin the upper on & go shoot.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Franklin County)

Here's my experience with ARs:

Bought a Stag, sold it in a year.
    Assembled a virgin lower with a few nice parts and added a PWS complete upper, still have it and probably always will.
    Assembled a virgin lower with a few nice parts and assembled my own upper with a few nice parts, still have it and always will (may change a part or two here or there).
    " " "
    " " "
    And so on...

Start where you're comfortable. No matter which way you go I'm sure there will be another one in your future. You are looking at good companies, I prefer BCM or DD. With your budget which ever way you go you will have a nice rifle.
    Last edited by AJ C-burg; November 27th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Also, piston AR's are nice, but DI has more parts readily available for them and more people know how to work with DI rather than pistons. Just something to think about regarding that little tidbit.

I figure some links might be useful. Note, a lot are currently sold out, but that doesn't mean they'll always be sold out. Depending on how long you want to spread out everything, you can get these parts at a really good price.

PTAC 16" assembled upper w/ SS12G2 rail and BCG: $399.99

PSA 16" SS Mid Length w/ SQR Hybrid Upper, but no BCG or charging handle: $349.99

BCM Standard 16" w/ Daniel Defense 10" LITE RAIL II: $599.00

PSA completed lower w/ fire control group; standard lower, nothing fancy: $129.99

Anderson Manufacturing stripped lower: $39.99

PSA lower build kit; standard AR lower kit, nothing fancy: $84.99

Given the budget you gave, wait for the BCM completed upper and a PSA completed lower. It looks like BCM is still offering a free BCG and BCM Mod 0 compensator, so just throw in a charging handle for $30 and you're set. Viola, awesome AR-15 for under $800.

That also leaves room for a decent optic, BUIS, sling attachments (receiver end plate and rail mounted), foregrip (if you want), light mount, light, or rail covers. Oh, and mags and some ammo.

I'd take the money saved and put it towards a red dot from Primary Arms or Vortex, which will be under $200. You could also save a little more and get an Aimpoint PRO for around $350 if you look around.

For lights, you can find some great deals on Going Gear or Amazon. I'm partial to the NiteCore P10 or P12. I've got a P12 that was planned for the rifle, but became my EDC light. When I pick up a P10, the P12 will get switched over to the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast