Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Rifleman articlle "Combat Magnums"

Hikcok45 does a good review of the model 69 here....

http://youtu.be/dytMvpmb8OQ

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    if someone really want a combat revolver S&W has one that is nearly perfection in its Model 627 Pro and it'll give you 8 rounds of .357 Magnum magic loaded en bloc with really neat moonclips!
    I agree. This is a better combo.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Did anyone read it? It seems S&W is coming out with an L-frame .44 Magnum capacity is reduced to 5 rounds to squeeze everything into the L sized chamber.

They're also bringing back an updated .357 magnum and naming it the Model 66. Also in L frame, and chambering 6 rounds.

Both guns will have adjustable sights.

'Course my question is why? .44 Magnum as a combat gun is something that requires a pretty big guy with huge hands to handle well. I like .357 a lot but if someone really want a combat revolver S&W has one that is nearly perfection in its Model 627 Pro and it'll give you 8 rounds of .357 Magnum magic loaded en bloc with really neat moonclips!
    What are you fixing to combat?

Muggers, rioters, tanks, jet aircraft, paper targets, boredom?

Hate to sound pedantic but handguns are not "combat weapons". They're "aw heck!" weapons, when you can't bring a rifle or shotgun along with you.

That being said, the 44 mag loaded with something close to 44 special rounds gives a decent recoil with fast recovery and nice terminal ballistics. If size is an issue the 357 with 38 special will do almost as well.

What are you fixing to combat?
    Feral Hogs are a good enemy and it makes a good trail or hiking gun for us guy's who live in bear country.

(Bucks County)

I read the Rifleman article and also watched Hickok's video. Try as I might, I can't see that it meets an unmet need, and I've been looking for an excuse to get a .44 revolver and levergun paired up for fun.

If you need a hand cannon for woods carry in bear country, there is the Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag which, with a 2.5 inch barrel, is purpose made for the job.

If handgun hunting is the object, there are better choices like the Standard Super Redhawk or the S&W 629, either .357 or .44 in the latter.

For a wide range of other uses, a .357 is more than adequate and, as Brick noted, it comes with 8-shot models. I have 2 S&W 686+, the standard 4" and the 5" Pro model, both 7-shot, and they are sweet to shoot and the .357 recoil is not punishing. The Pro is cut for moonclips, which is very convenient for quick loading at the range and collects your used brass for you.

Why does there need to be a specific need for every gun that is produced? As far as better options like the Ruger well that's just your opinion no thanks on a 2.5" barrel off a 44mag and no thanks on a Ruger period at least for me.

Sure there is always something else but there is also this.

(Luzerne County)

Have a S&W M69 for a little time now. It's not a pocket revolver, but it sure is smaller than my M29. It fits just nice into an old holster that held a 686. Recoil with full power loads is a little severe. With lead loads with 6gr of Herco you can shoot it all day. Have yet to try shot shell loads, but it should do better than 357 shot loads. All in all it make for a good carry revolver for the sportsman in the field or stream. A far a "COMBAT", a name is just that and no more. If you don't like it, take a grinder to the barrel, and it's gone.....
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Why does there need to be a specific need for every gun that is produced? As far as better options like the Ruger well that's just your opinion no thanks on a 2.5" barrel off a 44mag and no thanks on a Ruger period at least for me.

Sure there is always something else but there is also this.
    I agree with the first half, If there was a need or reason to own a gun I would only have 2 or 3. Desire, beauty, and just plain I want that take over when it comes to guns.
    As far as a 2 1/2" barrel 44 mag....I love my 329 night guard! I bought it for carrying in bear (out west) country and could not be happier with it. It shoots PMC 180 grain HPs as accurately as any other handgun I have and weighs in at 29OZs. Less than my 3" Kimber 45
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Why does there need to be a specific need for every gun that is produced?.
    Most people buy handguns for a reason. It is certainly an economic consideration for the manufacturer. You can only count on selling a limited number of guns for the "cool factor". If there is not enough of a reason, the product may not be economically viable and will either not get made or get doscontinued

Quote Originally Posted by omgur2 View Post
    I agree with the first half, If there was a need or reason to own a gun I would only have 2 or 3. Desire, beauty, and just plain I want that take over when it comes to guns.
    As far as a 2 1/2" barrel 44 mag....I love my 329 night guard! I bought it for carrying in bear (out west) country and could not be happier with it. It shoots PMC 180 grain HPs as accurately as any other handgun I have and weighs in at 29OZs. Less than my 3" Kimber 45

For me if I'm going to carry in a hunting or hiking envirement it would be open carry or on a chest rig so going with a longer barrel would offer more options then the. Snub nose would at least in my thought process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast