Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bullet suggestion: 30-30 lever gun

So I started reloading for my Winchester 94 in 30-30.
    Day one I bought a small box of hard cast lead and the results from my first go round were not good on accuracy. Some of that may be me, this is only my first batch.

Eventually I will want to go to a jacketed hunting round, lead is fine for plinking but I don't want it in my deer.

Most of what I see on the shelves is a Spitzer type bullet (sharp pointy projectiles) that are not suitable for a tubular magazine. I was looking at the Hornady LeverRevolution, but the per bullet cost seems to approach the cost of factory Winchester ammo. I understand that reloading is not magically cheaper than factory rounds, but I hope to not pay more than at a store.

What suggestions do you guys have for projectiles for the 30-30?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Bullet suggestion: 30-30 lever gun

FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    So I started reloading for my Winchester 94 in 30-30.
    Day one I bought a small box of hard cast lead and the results from my first go round were not good on accuracy. Some of that may be me, this is only my first batch.

Eventually I will want to go to a jacketed hunting round, lead is fine for plinking but I don't want it in my deer.

Most of what I see on the shelves is a Spitzer type bullet (sharp pointy projectiles) that are not suitable for a tubular magazine. I was looking at the Hornady LeverRevolution, but the per bullet cost seems to approach the cost of factory Winchester ammo. I understand that reloading is not magically cheaper than factory rounds, but I hope to not pay more than at a store.

What suggestions do you guys have for projectiles for the 30-30?
    LGS here has the 160gr FTX's for $34 for a 100ct box. That seems pretty decent to me compared to $16-$20 bucks a 20ct box for factory ammo. I really like the LeverRevolution ammo/bullets out of my '94. I switched to them a few years ago and other than cast plinker loads they are all I use any more. Try a box and I think you'll really like them. You should still be substantially under the price for factory ammo IMHO.

(Bucks County)

I'm not that much of a fan of the LeverRevolution bullets. For me a 30-30 is a mid powered round that should only be used to 100 yards. Trying to make it flatter shooting to push longer distances is asking for trouble.

Also, If your rifle doesn't have a scope you won't be taking the longer shots anyway (which is good). If the LeverRevolution bullets happen to give you better accuracy at 100 yards then go for it, otherwise just use a "standard" 30-30 bullet.

(Bucks County)

Immediately brought a cartoonish image to mind...a deer saying he doesn't either.

On a serious note....lotta lead being injected into critters via muzzle-loaders.

(Clarion County)

For jacketed I've had good luck over the years with Sierra's. They make a flat nose in 150 and 170 grs. that are tailored to the 30-30 velocity.
    https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...0-30-170-gr-FN
    Having said that the last few years I've gone to cast.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Immediately brought a cartoonish image to mind...a deer saying he doesn't either.

On a serious note....lotta lead being injected into critters via muzzle-loaders.

When a jacketed bullet opens it exposes a lead core and the front of it gets eroded. Round nose bullets are even worse, same as cast.

Don't worry, eating lead from bullets or shot will not hurt you anyway . Most people trim off the meat around the bullet hole. A tiny flake (or even a spoonful) goes right thru you. You are more likely to get exposed to lead shooting the bullets and not washing the powder residue off your hands. Its the lead salts and vapor that are tocic.

Yes, some birds can get sick from eating shot but thats because they have a gizzard. The shot sits there and gets corroded by digestive juices. Not a problem with mammals. A day (or two) after you eat a pellet, its being flushed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

You know, I never even thought of that. The .50 cal roundballs I shoot from my flintlock are a much softer lead, too. Of course, I have not gotten anything with it yet.

(Allegheny County)

I couldn't find my Speer flat nosed 170's and bought these instead.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162...ose-box-of-100

They list them now as discontinued ??

I load them to max with IMR 4350 and got a 3 round <1/2"" group at 100 with an old Bushnell Banner 4X on my Marlin 336. The rifle was dropped and I reset the zero with the last 3 rounds being just above the bull.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

I just read somewhere else that the deep curls were discontinued, not sure what Speer is doing since they weren't on the market very long as replacements for the Hot Cor.

That said, I usually reach for Hornady bullets for hunting purposes, at least to start with.

IMR 4350 is probably a bit slow for the 30-30, try something faster like Reloder 7 or 3031 (shudder, I hate the 'big stick' powders') you'll probably get faster ammo from a powder switch. But accuracy looks good so far.

Dale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast