Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 45 or G21?

(Centre County)

Default M&P 45 or G21?

That is the question I need to find an answer to. Really I need the cons of the M&P. I like the m&p better for just about everything, but I wanted to hear from owners about its cons. If there are any.
    DEEDS NOT WORDS..GFY!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: M&P 45 or G21?

We like our M&P 9s and our Glock 21 and havent decided which over which yet.

Just wanted to let you know of a rebate promotion S&W is having on their M&Ps (not shield) Nov 14-Dec 3 2014 purchase any full or compact size M&P and get 2 free magazines. Not to sway you but if you decide on the S&W thats a little bonus (-:

(Elk County)

I have two M&P 45C pistols, one black and one FDE. I had a third, another black one, but sold it because two is plenty for now.

IMO, the cons regarding the M&P are the sucky trigger. I don't invest in the Apex aftermarket parts; I just polish the contact points of the stampings and MIM parts that comprise the FCG of the pistol. Much improvement.

I find that both guns shoot low if I use a 6 o'clock hold, so I need to remember to cover the desired impact area with the front sight, and the rounds pretty much hit home. A couple of my SIGs are like that, too.

A minor con is that you must remember when taking down the pistol to reach through the ejection port using a small screwdriver or pen, etc., with the slide locked back and pull the yellow-painted lever down and into the magwell. This retracts the sear to clear the sear bent on the striker to allow the slide to be removed forward and off the frame. Upon reassembly, a magazine returns the lever to its "in use" position.

As for accuracy, it's not the most accurate 45 semi that I own, that belongs to one of the 5" RIA 45s I have, and a 3" SIG Ultra Carry and a 5" Colt Series 80 Stainless Govt Model are close runners-up. But I can keep them all within 4"-6" at 50 ft with either of the M&P45Cs. Good enough for defense.

I do like the low weight and compact size; 8+1 in that size is pretty sweet and its comfortable to carry all day.

I also like the three grip inserts; I seem to shoot the best with the "medium" insert installed.

I've had a G21 years ago, and it was uncomfortable. I sold it and haven't looked back. IMO, the M&P45C is much more to my liking than the G21.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

If I were to get a .45, it would be a 41, the long slide .45 Glock. Without any added backstrap, it felt good in my hands. If you're concerned about grip, go with a SF or Gen 4 model.

M&P all day. The only thing I would advise is to help the trigger a bit with an apex sear. Otherwise it shot better for me than my G21 did and recoil was noticeably less with the M&P.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have two M&P 45C pistols, one black and one FDE. I had a third, another black one, but sold it because two is plenty for now.

IMO, the cons regarding the M&P are the sucky trigger. I don't invest in the Apex aftermarket parts; I just polish the contact points of the stampings and MIM parts that comprise the FCG of the pistol. Much improvement.
    I have shot both M&P45, and 21(in both Gen3, SF, and new 41, with is basically gen4 21 frame), and picked M&P45(tan with thumb safety) for one reason.
    The ergonomics obviously the big reason, as I have small Asian hand, and 21 in ANY form was simply too large.
    That, and availability of thumb safety(since I shoot 1911 side by side most of the time).

Trigger, while nothing to brag about, its certainly serviceable, and did smoothed out after some rounds were put through.
    Its accurate. Certainly more so than I can manage.
    My buddy bought 41. So I shoot it side by side, and 41 is no more accurate then M&P45.
    Its bit easier to shoot accurate, because of the longer sight plane, and longer barrel, and slightly better trigger.
    I have had a chance to shoot a M&P with Apex trigger kit, and it makes night and day difference.

They are both great guns. I'd pick one that's fit your hand the best, as trigger can be modded reliably later around
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Both my M&P 45s took about 1k to smooth out the triggers. Now they are just fine in my opinion. The reset isn't Glockish but I'm not a reset-rider either. I recently picked up another M&P 45, this one a 2014 production. It's trigger is very nice even compared to my broken in ones. My vote goes to the M&P.
    I have a Gen4 G21 and while it's nice and works great, it just doesn't do much for me that the M&Ps don't do better in my experience.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    If I were to get a .45, it would be a 41, the long slide .45 Glock. Without any added backstrap, it felt good in my hands. If you're concerned about grip, go with a SF or Gen 4 model.
    Was just coming to say this. Guy at work bought one and loves it and that's coming from a loyal sig guy

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    M&P all day. The only thing I would advise is to help the trigger a bit with an apex sear. Otherwise it shot better for me than my G21 did and recoil was noticeably less with the M&P.
    ^^^^^^^^ this
    Have had my G-lock 21 since 1992 and it runs, just not quite as nice as M&P.

Jeff

I think I'm the only person on earth that can't stand the feel of the M&P. Especially with those large palm swells on both sides of the grip and the thin front strap. My buddy has the full size .40 and that grip combined with the trigger I can't shoot it worth a damn.

I just got a 21SF and I love it, feels like it was made for my hand.

Either gun will serve you well, it comes down to personal preference.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast