Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: York City Police force cut in half

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    the way I read the news report, this is just political posturing to get a tax increase. i.e. "we have to raise taxes or there will be anarchy in the streets!"
    That's true to some extent, this way when it comes down to the big day and they lay of only 25% of the force they can claim a victory and still get re-elected.

Unfortunately the city of York has huge financial issues, and they are in extremely deep. Having lived there and been involved in city politics for a few years, I can tell you the pensions were completely neglected for a few pet projects, and then neglected again just to keep the lights on through the Obummer administration. The tax base has completely gone to hell, property values have fallen like a rock (because of rentals, the schools, and taxes), and the unions continue to negotiate strong contracts without pushback. The school system is absolutely broke, and having personally known three board members, all of whom were sorry they ever served, I can say without a doubt they really ought to 'pull a philly', release all their teachers, and start again, just to stay afloat.

It's hard to imagine that in a city of only 40,000 people, and declining, that these issues become major problems, but they do, and it's been creeping up since the early 90's. The good old boy D's ran the city for the benefits of their own little fiefdoms, completely ignoring the true quality of life issues that need to be addressed to keep a city vibrant. New banners, fancy artwork, and two way traffic on Market Street will not solve a problem. And now, even taxing the people at 100% wouldn't get them out of the hole they have dug.

If any public company ran a business like some of these cities are run there would be criminal charges pending. Heck, look at Harrisburg and the problems they have had in the last month trying to find a qualified treasurer, they are up to number 3, and apparently he's got issues with business taxes that weren't paid!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

I'm pretty sure my cousin is going to be one of the 8 fire fighters. It's disappointing because he worked so hard to get there. Scratch disappointing. Enraging is more like it.

Glad I don't go into the city for anything.

(York County)

City Council is scheduled to vote on the budget on December 16.

There's no way it will be voted for.

(Lancaster County)

It's always police and fire. They can't do without any of their aides or other non essentials. Well of course in their world it's all essential

(York County)

If she were a true leader she would take what money she gets as a bonus or take her salary and reinvest it into the city needs. She should be embarrassed she released this "compromise" as a serious alternative.

(York County)

I am looking for a court decision that came out of a case by a major city
    in Berks Co., on reducing the size of a police force out of a contract award.
    I believe the Court ruled that the offending municipality in declaring a
    budgetary crisis, with the intent to lay police officers off, had to lay off the
    same percentage from all city departments. Needless to say the budget
    crisis went away. I am checking with a very good friend and labor attorney
    as to the case and if that decision is still pertinent today or overturned, if
    the case law was appealed (1980's era)
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(York County)

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to inject a comment which may go with this somewhat.

I am unaware of the outcome of the cuts issue but since my taxes in York county went up $80 a month I would assume everyone got to keep their jobs? I liked to have lost my lunch when I evaluated my new year paycheck. Really everything remained the same except the York county tax. $80 a month higher. I think it was ilke a 13% increase but I am not sure of that number since I figured it out in January and I am too lazy to recalculate it.

Jolly

(Bucks County)

Pop quiz Gentlemen !!!

Where in the world have we ever seen this before?

Oh yeah, in every single liberal run urban shit hole in this country.

100% guaranteed result
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I wanted to inject a comment which may go with this somewhat.

I am unaware of the outcome of the cuts issue but since my taxes in York county went up $80 a month I would assume everyone got to keep their jobs? I liked to have lost my lunch when I evaluated my new year paycheck. Really everything remained the same except the York county tax. $80 a month higher. I think it was ilke a 13% increase but I am not sure of that number since I figured it out in January and I am too lazy to recalculate it.

Jolly
    Taxes raised and 36 police and 8 firefighters still cut and they won't replace about a dozen cops retiring soon on top of that.

Henry Nixon: York city cuts go beyond fat and muscle to bone (letter)

Updated: 01/27/2015 04:09:07 PM EST

The City of York did not pull another rabbit out of the hat to balance the 2015 budget, as some have said. The budget came at a great cost to the residents, property owners and everyone who uses York city for pleasure and business.

While the Fraternal Order of Police and the administration negotiated a remarkable agreement — and later, the Teamsters Union made significant concessions — which helped enormously, it was still necessary to cut city staff by nearly 10 percent: 36 positions were cut. All remaining employees except Teamsters and public safety will be furloughed one week during 2015. And the Fire Department was reduced by eight firefighters. Every department experienced staff cuts – Economic and Community Development, which had six employees, was gutted. The city will not replace 8-15 police officers through attrition over the next couple of years.

However, there was no real estate tax increase. That was the tradeoff. The mayor and city council stood fast in the face of these serious cuts. Mind you, we were not cutting fat — that was done more than a decade ago. We were not cutting muscle either — that was done years ago. We were amputating! City services will be negatively affected. Quality-of-life issues will suffer. The city is dangerously close to the edge.

Yet, on the bright side, we see real, positive energy, significant development and activity in many pockets of the city. The City of York is still worth saving. Let’s hope our state legislators, the largest and most costly in the nation, act to improve all communities in Pennsylvania by removing the archaic obstacles choking all of us.

In the meantime, know that the citizens, property owners and employees of York city have faced head on the financial crisis and made the sacrifices. No magic. Just hard choices.

— Henry Nixon, councilman, York city

http://www.ydr.com/opinion/ci_274026...to-bone-letter
    Last edited by alpacaheat; April 1st, 2015 at 11:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12