Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Sportsman's Shop is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I've heard rumors about that for awhile. Can't wait to see how much more "healthy" their mark up is going to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    High prices keep me away and I'm within 10 minutes of them. Unrealistically high on used guns to boot
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post
    Same here.

I will say, though, that they do have decent sales from time to time.

The owner, Joe, is a great guy to deal with. But his prices do suck.
    For all of the same reasons listed above, I doubt I'll even step foot in the new place. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks their prices are high. I forgot to pick up 209 primers for a new inline at a shop closer to home and their shop is closer to the gun club where I shoot and their price was almost double for the same product. Charge what you want, but I won't pay those prices.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    For all of the same reasons listed above, I doubt I'll even step foot in the new place. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks their prices are high. I forgot to pick up 209 primers for a new inline at a shop closer to home and their shop is closer to the gun club where I shoot and their price was almost double for the same product. Charge what you want, but I won't pay those prices.
    Their case prices on some ammo is good, and occasionally you'll see a used gun for a good price that is it though. Otherwise you're paying an extra $50-$400 for those spiffy red shirts all the salesmen wear.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    It's a very nice place to look. I have to agree, the prices in there seem to be aimed at people on vacation, not the locals. I'm not sure how they stay in buisiness. I guess it's because they really are nice people.

(Chester County)

I went once and was told in such a condescending tone that my C&R wasn't welcome there that I have never been back.

Certainly there prerogative to not accept it but I went through extensive background checks just like them.

Sorry to digress but another dealer in King of Prussia (not gonna mention names) also was very rude when attempting to use a C&R.

Sorry, Just one of my pet peeves.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    All the more reason for them to keep those bowling pins at the new place.
    Who in their right mind would be pinsetter at the indoor range?

And I hope the new owners don't oil the floors . . .

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Bring this thread back up. Was in the area and stopped in The Sportsman's Shop for the first time. Taking over a bowling alley was a good idea in my book, nice to have more than enough room to wander around. And guns are mounted in locked glass cases on the walls, with no counter in front. I really liked not having to squint over a counter or kneel down to see prices or caliber I was looking at. There were plenty of employees wandering around if you wanted one taken out too, but not obnoxiously pushy or asking every minute if I needed help. Of course prices could have been lower, seemed to be MSRP on the few bolt rifles I was looking at. Could save a couple hundred and tax by shopping on gunbroker.

(Lancaster County)

I just stopped in there this morning to pick up something, first time I had been in the new store. It's probably the brightest lit, cleanest and widest aisle gun shop I've ever been in. No problem moving around the shelves of product, looking at guns in the brightly lit cases or finding what you might need. It's laid out well, and the staff was friendly. The range looked really nice and easily accessible. They had a wide range of targets available as well as safety accessories. There's a little cafe type area right inside the door. I didn't really look at any prices, but I did notice that everything was clearly marked and there was a large selection of hunting rifles and shotguns, pistols and rifles.

All in all it's a big step up from their last store. I did comment to Joe that it still kind of smells like a bowling alley.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

it still kind of smells like a bowling alley.
    If they shut off the ventilation system in the range and let the place fill with gun smoke that should take care of that.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone know if they haggle? I'm a handgun guy and they are about $100 higher than everyone else. I like the store and the layout. I'll probably use the range. I tried to make a deal on a used Glock years ago and they wouldn't budge.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Anyone know if they haggle? I'm a handgun guy and they are about $100 higher than everyone else. I like the store and the layout. I'll probably use the range. I tried to make a deal on a used Glock years ago and they wouldn't budge.
    No, they don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12