Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Help with a Charles Flaig custom gun...

Found this old thread on PAFOA,don't know if there is any help there or not.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...79142246,d.aWw

Good luck and you have a beautiful rifle.

I can remember talk of Flaigs when I was young but no details,only that high praises were sung for their workmanship.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by x2501 View Post
    Flaig's Guns sat on a hill off Babcock Blvd., outside Millvale, which is a suburb of Pittsburgh. He was a fine custom gunsmith, but also had a showroom containing guns made around the world. I recall seeing a lot of drillings there in one of the cases. I bought (thru my dad) my first handgun (Ruger Super Single Six) there in 1969. I recall overhearing men in there talking about hunts in the Western US, Canada, Alaska and Africa. I don't know if the bldg. is still there, it was an old log cabin, but the shop went out of business sometime in the 1980's. Shame, I used to love going in there, had some really unique stuff.
    I used to love going there when I was a kid. My dad bought several firearms for me at Flaig's when I was a youngster.

Had them rebarrel an M1903A3 Springfield for me many years ago.

It was a classy gun shop. As you've stated, lots of unique examples of firearms on display.

It's still there but I think it's a private residence.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

My grandfather had a custom 7x57 built at Flaig's in the mid 60s. It was a beautiful rifle. It disappeared after he passed away in 1988. My Dad bought me a Remington 700 .243 at Flaig's in 1971 when I was twelve. I still hunt with that rifle today. I loved going to Flaig's, and was sad to hear that the shop had closed. The old cabin and 2-3 acres are now a private residence.

I saw a Flaig's custom .458 Winchester on a Mauser action at a gun show at Pittsburgh Mills a year or two ago. The guy was asking a bit over 2K for it, and it was gone before I left the show.

Thank you all for your posts!

(Westmoreland County)

Flaigs was on top of the hill in Millville close to Pittsburgh. Custom work was their stock in trade. they would make you anything you want. you pick the action, the barrel, and stock and they will custom make it for you. they would even have drillings. I had all of my work done there. sporterizing a 30-06 springfield. bluing an old army 45 auto. work on my Sako. there bluing was second to none. but, they went our of business i believe in the early 80's. business for custom work was not much in demand. you have an excellent example of their work. years ago i had one of their catalogs. In the winter part of the old log cabin always had a fire burning in the fireplace. brings back memories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12