Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Deer Processing Tips/Tricks/Methods

As the archery season rolls along and with firearms season around the corner, I thought I wounderstand start a thread where we can compile tips, tricks and different methods you use when processing your deer. Hang time, skinning methods, and most importantly how you cut the meat and which muscle groups you use for different types of dishes.

The first three deer I have hung head-up, and skinned and quartered them right away as temps did not allow for any hanging. Last night I hung the button buck my buddy shot upside down and left the garage doors cracked to take advantage of the dropping temps and let this deer age. Depending on my schedule and the weather I will likely process it on Sunday at the earliest.

So far my butchering has been fairly basic, simply separating out muscle groups. Shank meat gets cut for stew, most of the front shoulders and all of the neck meat gets ground, and I cut steaks out of the bottom poportions of the hindquarters. I also trim any bits of meat I can off of the carcass to be ground. So far I have not attempted cutting and cooking the ribs and just trim what I can off of them.

Please share any tips and tricks you use!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Deer Processing Tips/Tricks/Methods

I always hang head down, not for any particular reason, just how I have always done it and seen it done.
    First deer of the year I will cut up for ground meat, steaks, and roasts. Any deer after that I do steaks, stew meat, ground, and maybe a roast or two.
    I never cut the meat off the neck, that is always a roast. One of my favorite meals, neck roast and noodles!
    I keep the bones in the freezer and make venison scrapple in the late winter (February).

(Lawrence County)

Biggest time saver for me was figuring out to skin it out right away instead of letting it hang for a few days. The hide comes off sooooo much easier if you do it within the first few hours of the kill. As for the actual butchering, pretty much the same as the OP, I just separate the muscle groups.

(Lehigh County)

Read front to back in this thread you'll learn everything you need to know.

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/11...do-you-do.html
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

I too, just separate the muscle groups.
    Steaks,stewing meat, and grind everything else up.
    I've been wanting to take and grind a whole deer, to make different kinds of sausage, but when I quarter the deer and see those hind quarters,and backstraps, I think no maybe next time.

(Bucks County)

I slice the heart into 1/4-1/2" slices and fry it up medium rare in butter or bacon grease, usually for lunch after a successful morning hunt. Absolutely delicious and really boosts you back up.

(Delaware County)

I usually slice one hind quarter to make venison cheese steaks.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    I usually slice one hind quarter to make venison cheese steaks.
    That sounds good.

The family isn't big on straight venison so I usually end up grinding everything into burger so I can make chili, Manwwich or Hamburger Helper. I could probably get them to eat those too.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

I am going to try slicing up some for cheesesteaks now! Quartered a deer today and will try to get it fully processed over the next few days.

(Centre County)

Step 1: How to skin a deer in under two minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5j-xY-Y8kY
    Step 2: How to butcher a deer down to the last bone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUArHhWj3rY
    Key: Hang it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast