Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Any reason NOT to get a Dillon 550?

One of my concerns is that if I reload rifle brass on it I want to be able to trim and primer pocket swage on the press, even if I break it into 2 separate deals, brass prep in one run and then another run of powder, seating and crimp. I think it's probably harder to do that on the 550 than the 650.

(Delaware County)

A while ago I did a quick video loading 9mm. Was doing a comfortable pace. You'll see a short pause a few times while I clear an issue. After a while they are just small hickups
    I use the vibraprime to load the tubes which is super fast. The vibraprime does produce an upside down or sideways primer now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawP...QthPHlKFkrzDGg

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    One of my concerns is that if I reload rifle brass on it I want to be able to trim and primer pocket swage on the press, even if I break it into 2 separate deals, brass prep in one run and then another run of powder, seating and crimp. I think it's probably harder to do that on the 550 than the 650.
    To swage on a press you need the 1050.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Delaware County)

You can swage on a 650. See video. They also have one for the 550.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaf3RqoM3o

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/primer-swager
    Last edited by Hamltnblue; November 14th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    From my experience, not necessarily true that it's tougher to do it on a 550.

Have reloaded thousands of .308 and .223's on a 550 and it works well for me. Just saying that every reloader will find what works for them.

The reason I visit these PAFOA forums are because of folks like you - who readily share their personal experience. And hundreds of hours over a press just can't be beat by reading an instructive manual.

Many thanks for your instructive remarks....
    - bamboomaster

(Philadelphia County)

I saw no mention of reloading rifle brass, just straight-walled pistol brass.
    If this is your initial foray into reloading, a used single-stage would suffice.
    The cost savings versus a Dillon would benefit you in acquiring reloading components, like primers, bullets, and powder.

Contrary to popular myth, reloading does not 'save' you money versus buying factory ammo. Most reloaders will tell you, this is the case. Progressive reloading presses are nice!, but the initial costs can easily exceed what you anticipate at the outset.

If you shoot alot, 1,000's of rounds a year, a Dillon may serve you well. Just remember this, you'll need powder, bullets, and primers, to go with all of that empty brass. Prices for these three components have been on the steady increase for the past several years, so you may want to give this some thought in your calculations.

With two single stage presses, I could easily crank out 1,000 rounds in a two-day, two-hours per day, reloading session. If done with economy in mind, one can get several reloadings out of pistol brass. I have .38spl. brass that has been reloaded 8-10 times with no ill effects.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    To swage on a press you need the 1050.
    When it comes down to it I'm not too worried if I have to do it on a single stage with my Rcbs swager. The 1050 is probably a bridge too far for me.

I now recall the crimp removing tool above but I think I heard Dillon has an issue with it for some reason.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    I saw no mention of reloading rifle brass, just straight-walled pistol brass.
    If this is your initial foray into reloading, a used single-stage would suffice.
    The cost savings versus a Dillon would benefit you in acquiring reloading components, like primers, bullets, and powder.

Contrary to popular myth, reloading does not 'save' you money versus buying factory ammo. Most reloaders will tell you, this is the case. Progressive reloading presses are nice!, but the initial costs can easily exceed what you anticipate at the outset.

If you shoot alot, 1,000's of rounds a year, a Dillon may serve you well. Just remember this, you'll need powder, bullets, and primers, to go with all of that empty brass. Prices for these three components have been on the steady increase for the past several years, so you may want to give this some thought in your calculations.

With two single stage presses, I could easily crank out 1,000 rounds in a two-day, two-hours per day, reloading session. If done with economy in mind, one can get several reloadings out of pistol brass. I have .38spl. brass that has been reloaded 8-10 times with no ill effects.

I have realoaded a bit with my friends Lee 4 station turret. I can see myself easily outgrowing that set up. I probably shoot a couple thousand rounds a year as I participate in a steel league. That's one reason I wanted ro reload. I want to be the "Anti Elmer Keith" and load light loads. Hard to buy those off the shelf.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I have realoaded a bit with my friends Lee 4 station turret. I can see myself easily outgrowing that set up. I probably shoot a couple thousand rounds a year as I participate in a steel league. That's one reason I wanted ro reload. I want to be the "Anti Elmer Keith" and load light loads. Hard to buy those off the shelf.
    If tailoring loads is your goal, you will find handloading very rewarding.

The first few months after I started reloading I focused on .38 for my revolvers; loads from 600 to around 850 fps (+P range for .38). Then the .357 for revolvers and a lever action. It is especially fun loading for the levergun: light loads with lead or plated bullets meander out at around 800 fps and feel like a .22, while heavier loads with jacketed go 2100+ fps and actually have a little kick.

The 9mm can't be run as slow as the .38/.357 because you need enough power to cycle the slide. My experimenting indicated I needed at least 875 fps with a 115g lead projectile to reliably cycle a G19. But that is a pretty light load fine for target practice.

Have fun!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    If tailoring loads is your goal, you will find handloading very rewarding.

The first few months after I started reloading I focused on .38 for my revolvers; loads from 600 to around 850 fps (+P range for .38). Then the .357 for revolvers and a lever action. It is especially fun loading for the levergun: light loads with lead or plated bullets meander out at around 800 fps and feel like a .22, while heavier loads with jacketed go 2100+ fps and actually have a little kick.

The 9mm can't be run as slow as the .38/.357 because you need enough power to cycle the slide. My experimenting indicated I needed at least 875 fps with a 115g lead projectile to reliably cycle a G19. But that is a pretty light load fine for target practice.

Have fun!
    Oh no, now you are telling me I need a Chronograph! LOL

I don't know what the velocity was but I loaded down 9mm in small increments until I found one that was too light to cycle my CZ75

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast