Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Gun Lock Boxes at Municipal Court

I have to go to court for a parking ticket next week. I know the Lancaster County Courthouse has lockboxes. Are municipal justices of the peace required to have lockboxes for firearms as well?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gun Lock Boxes at Municipal Court

If you are referring to Magisterial District Justice offices, then no. As far as I know, they are not required to provide the service.
    «D.C.» LEO * Expert Pistol * Be Aware of Your Surroundings!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by P1620 View Post
    If you are referring to Magisterial District Justice offices, then no. As far as I know, they are not required to provide the service.
    Why not? They are a courthouse. Are we allowed to carry inside?

EDIT: might want to reread 18 Pa C.S. 913... http://www.pa2a.org/wiki.php?wid=17
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; November 12th, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Indiana County)

As per the previous post cited, Magisterial District Courts are required to provide storage facilities for those citizens licensed to carry firearms. Now, as to whether or not those "storage facilities" are individual lockboxes or merely handing the piece over to the clerk behind the window (who will promptly leave a puddle on the floor), is up to the Magisterial District Judge.

I would recommend calling the particular court facility and inquiring about storage facilities for firearms. Odds are they won't have any and will probably recommend leaving it in your car. This is an option for you. Another option, if they don't have storage facilities, is to request transfer to another court facility with storage facilities (which would require more travel on your part). Politely point out the law to the court clerk, and take it from there.

They can't deny you your day in court because they're not in compliance with state law (my opinion).

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    As per the previous post cited, Magisterial District Courts are required to provide storage facilities for those citizens licensed to carry firearms. Now, as to whether or not those "storage facilities" are individual lockboxes or merely handing the piece over to the clerk behind the window (who will promptly leave a puddle on the floor), is up to the Magisterial District Judge.

I would recommend calling the particular court facility and inquiring about storage facilities for firearms. Odds are they won't have any and will probably recommend leaving it in your car. This is an option for you. Another option, if they don't have storage facilities, is to request transfer to another court facility with storage facilities (which would require more travel on your part). Politely point out the law to the court clerk, and take it from there.

They can't deny you your day in court because they're not in compliance with state law (my opinion).
    Snyder County Courts have lock boxes. All of them; if you need to request another court room I'll buy your lunch.

Read the law as linked.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, the way I read the law, they are required to have storage facilities. Looks like a phone call is coming up to see if they actually do or not.

(Tioga County)

If your court doesn't have lock boxes or other means of secure storage, the person to contact is the court administrator. I took that route and got things fixed except for the one in my town. That court is located in a bldg used by the school thus a school bldg.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    If your court doesn't have lock boxes or other means of secure storage, the person to contact is the court administrator. I took that route and got things fixed except for the one in my town. That court is located in a bldg used by the school thus a school bldg.
    I would point out that even if it is a school, lock boxes are required. Their is no exemption for courthouses located in schools. In addition, there are several reasons
    to have firearms in a school, and LEOs may wish to secure their firearms (or be required to).
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001