Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Advice on 50 BMG

I am looking to purchase a 50 BMG but cant seem to want to buck up and buy a Barrett. Any advise on a less-expensive brand? I have my eye on a LAR Grizzly for around $2100. Any advice is appreciated.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Advice on 50 BMG

Do you already own an AR-15? If you do, you might want to check out this guy's stuff....

http://www.bohicaarms.com/

Heck, even if you don't have an AR-15, you'll find that the cost of cobbling together an AR lower + the cost of the Bohica upper is STILL the cheapest .50 BMG setup going.

The only downside to the Bohica FAR-50 is that the guy selling them is more or less a one man operation at the moment, so the waiting list is pretty long. He supposedly bought some new machines and has some helpers now, but just to give you an idea I placed an order for a 30" Bohica upper on December 17th of last year and I still don't have anything yet. I'm told the magical day is July 15th, but I'm not holding my breath. Even worse, I might end up having to sell it immediately upon taking delivery as I may be buying a house soon. Keep your eyes peeled, I might be listing a Bohica upper, Rouge-50 lower, Badger mounts and SS 20x scope for sale soon.

I have a Colt HBAR and have seen a similar 50 upper setup in Shotgun News but was kind of afraid of how well the lower would hold up. Thanks for the advice. I will look them up.

(Franklin County)

From what I have been told, the majority of the recoil goes straight back into the stock rather than through the pivot and takedown pins. That being said, I went ahead and bought a Rouge-50 lower for this little project. I think I wanted the clean look more than anything, but I'd like to hope it'll hold up to recoil a little better than a standard lower as well.

The Bohica site looks awesome. I think I am going to order a 30" in black. What did you purchase? Also, I think I see two different muzzlebreaks. Any thoughts as the one in the media segment looks round. It might just be a style change.

(Franklin County)

I also ordered a black 30" model.

There have been several revisions of the Bohica FAR-50. The Mk.I had a round muzzle brake which wasn't all that much larger than the barrel itself. MK.II introduced a larger muzzle brake which is more in line with the brakes offered on all other .50s. The MK.III, which just started shipping, has only subtle modifications over the MK.II's brake.

The website is a little bit out of date right now, as I don't think you can buy a MK.II anymore. Hopefully theywill be updated to include proper pics of the MK.III.

i always wanted a wind runner, but for that price you can have a browning s/a

(Montgomery County)

Serbu. One of the best deals out there. http://www.serbu.com/top/bfg50.php

I've seen and held one, but have yet to shoot one. Nicely built, and they are supposed to be pretty accurate from what I've read.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Perry County)

I should be getting my BOHICA MKII at the end of July/August and will post something up here when I get the time.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

im bringing my m2hb up state for the weekend, if i take some video i'll post it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast