Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sauer 38h questions

I like things with history. I've got a couple of old revolvers, and I'm thinking about adding a WWII era pistol to my collection.

I've been considering a JP Sauer & Sohn 38h pistol. It would be both a collector piece AND a carry gun when the occasion arises for a more discrete pistol.

I don't know much at all about these guns: Will they hold up to carry and range time? Are they reliable? I know the .32 acp isn't a buffalo stopper, but I'm not concerned about the caliber for carry.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Sauer 38h questions

I picked up one about 9 months ago. I wouldn't use it as carry most probably it will have pitted barrels. I put about 25 rounds of ammo through it, good range gun for a yearly shoot. They aren't Walther P1/P38 tank built pistols.

(York County)

It is a real sleeper among the pocket size autos: super quality gun that never had the name recognition of the Walther PP/PPK or Mauser HSc series.

Collectors love them since there are many variations of the design built over the course of WW2. These days they are more a collectors item than a carry gun, but it can be done.

(Allegheny County)

How would it not hold up to carry?

It's an impressive auto pistol that not many even know exists. A loaded chamber indicator as well as a cocker AND de-cocker lever (allows you to fire in double action mode, or by thumbing the cocking lever, you can set the trigger for a single action shot - and in reverse if you so wish!) - features WAY ahead of it's time when it was produced.

It's a bit large by today's standards for such a small caliber handgun, but it's surely easy to carry provided you get a decent holster custom made for it and aren't carrying it in the original "flap" holster with spare mag pouch. LOL

The only issue with giving it regular use is parts replacement should anything break.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Thanks for the replies. I've heard they were very high quality, especially the ones made early on during the war.

I suppose the risk of getting a sauer and sohn is that if I need replacement parts I'm out of luck, vs if I decide to look for a walther pp from the war era. Grips and magazines are still plentiful. (Forget ppk or Lugers, prices for those have gotten obscene).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've heard they were very high quality, especially the ones made early on during the war.

I suppose the risk of getting a sauer and sohn is that if I need replacement parts I'm out of luck, vs if I decide to look for a walther pp from the war era. Grips and magazines are still plentiful. (Forget ppk or Lugers, prices for those have gotten obscene).
    There's a guy here near Pittsburgh who is always at the Gun Shows selling parts for just about anything imaginable - mainly old stuff like that. I'm betting he has/could get pretty much any part you'd need. It just wouldn't be cheap.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Gunpartscorp.com has some 38H parts available. After that, try Poppert or Jack First.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html